How is the Netgear R7000 ?

LOL.o_Oo_O.Got confused after so many posts about M2.Have been looking at the R7000 since last week but always missed the 5 k deal.

I am using a WNDR4300 at present and don't have any wifi ac devices.The maximum for me is dual antenna 5 Ghz(300 Mbps max).
I get a file copy speed of around 11 MB/s over wifi from my headless rig and have copied 20 GB at one go without any connection drops.

Can you guys tell me if a R7000 is a necessary upgrade so that I can keep my discount shopping itch in control:grumpy::grumpy:??

One advantage seems to be the USB 3.0 port whereas the WNDR4300 has only 2.0 but I don't use Readyshare much(Have to repair the drive on Windows in case the power to the router is cut off with the HDD attached to the USB port)

using r7000 for the past week or so... fully satisfied with wireless ac performance, range is pretty good, getting a signal one floor down from router, and around 20 - 25 MB/S transfer speed in wireless ac between router and mac.

using r7000 for the past week or so... fully satisfied with wireless ac performance, range is pretty good, getting a signal one floor down from router, and around 20 - 25 MB/S transfer speed in wireless ac between router and mac.
Can you elaborate on data transfer? Where are you copying from? USB to mac? Or pc to mac?

I'm running the latest DDWRT Kong 16th Oct release but I'm not happy with the range or data throughout. I don't have a proper AC device just phones which Max out at a link rate of 433mhz.

Contemplating getting it replaced.

Can you elaborate on data transfer? Where are you copying from? USB to mac? Or pc to mac?

I'm running the latest DDWRT Kong 16th Oct release but I'm not happy with the range or data throughout. I don't have a proper AC device just phones which Max out at a link rate of 433mhz.

Contemplating getting it replaced.
I think he was talking about nas connected via Ethernet to router transferring data to Mac via WiFi.

Have you tried the Asus fw and tomato/advanced tomato ? Haven't tried it myself though.

I too got only around 450mbps on the on phone with ac band and range was sightly lesser than 2730u modem. :(

I think he was talking about nas connected via Ethernet to router transferring data to Mac via WiFi.

Have you tried the Asus fw and tomato/advanced tomato ? Haven't tried it myself though.

I too got only around 450mbps on the on phone with ac band and range was sightly lesser than 2730u modem. :(
I need to run r7000 as a repeater bridge, so no other option but dd wrt. Stock has no secure option for wireless repeating, while RB is problem on asuswrt Merlin.

I haven't tried tomato though, will try when I find some time.

yep, was transferring from nas connected to router, to my mac which has wireless ac.. Got transfer speeds around 25 MBps.

decent pricing would be 8k to 9k via any deals - you will need to hunt.
darn good router to run stock. no need of ddwrt/tomato and other f/w.

^ why? what error?? required drivers installed in the computer??
No error, yes hp 1020+ drivers installed on pc, printer was installed in pc earlier.
Once or twice after i gave print page from my pc, the printer made noise , like it make before it prints anything. And thats it.

Router is beautiful! Performs really well. Using Shibby Tomato version 132 on it.
Transfer rates are great!
I guess the speed & range really depends on the receiving antennas on your other device.
e.g. my Tab 10.1 (2011) shows connection speed at 65-70 mbps, whereas my MI Pad shows connecting speed at 400 mbps. Actual data transfer speed are around 8-10 MBps for tab 10.1 & 18-20 MBps for MIPad. For transfer from PC (connected via Gigabyte lan) to Laptop transfer speed works out 25-30 MBps easily.
Also for range laptop can get range in far corner of the house, but Tab shows low signal strength at the same distance.
I had connected My Passport Essential (500 GB, NTFS) to USB 3.0 port. USB 3.0 transfer speeds are also good - 30-40 MBps.
Shibby tomato has inbuilt transmission. The only weird problem I faced 2 days ago was that all the files on the attached HDD were deleted. I was able to recover most of them after connecting HDD to my PC. But still that was really weird.

Definitely not a necessary upgrade. My first unit had issues (connection drops every few seconds for both wired/wireless) and I got it replaced and replacement has been working fine without issues.

5 GHz range does not seem to be that good. Even at some places where I get full strength for the 2.4 GHz band, I have seen a couple of bars less for the 5 GHz band.

Boot up time is slow. My Asus N13U-B1 boots up pretty fast compared to this.

Offers cloud features, but does not offer download or torrent download options in the stock firmware.

I haven't tried any custom firmware on this yet.

Sorry! But what is hardware NAT acceleration? & what is NAT? I tried reading wiki, but could not understand as to what purpose it serves?
For me reason for Tomato Shibby was simple installation & set up. Earlier I had Asus RT-N13U-B1. Installing & configuring DD-wrt was nightmare (I had no computer background). Openwrt was some what easier to configure, but still difficult. Especially when it comes to mounting hard disk.
As compared to that Tomato Shibby is breeze. Mounting Hard Disk was really easy.

Back