How is the Netgear R7000 ?

hmm yes, 1.0.9.6 looks stable, that safe place people retreat to when later upgrades mess things up

Picked this up recently because the range was better and it was cheaper than the ac68u.

What surprised me was how many here also picked it, years ago :)

out of the box its on 1.0.7.12 or the last of the 7 series

Seems stable

But the krack attack fix is on 1.0.9.14

Always good to see a company keep a three year old product up to date

but the NG forums are full of miserable people. Like being in a waiting room for the terminally ill.

Well, I got it for 4.5k in an Amazon sale which was a pretty nice deal. In fact, I had raised a request for refund as the first unit I got had several issues including continuous connection drops on both wireless and wired, but later changed the request to replacement. The replacement unit has been pretty stable for me.

Why are you guys sticking to official firmware? There's SO many better ones out there. I have 2 of these..

In my case, it was because I had no issues and all the features that I use on a daily basis are working perfectly fine with the stock firmware. Why try to fix something that is not broken?

If I ever run into a problem, need a feature or just feel like experimenting and have nothing else to do, I would probably go ahead and do that.

Why are you guys sticking to official firmware? There's SO many better ones out there. I have 2 of these..
What are you on and recommend ?

Has the KRACK attack fix been addressed. Tomato won't get it. Don't know about the others

Also in the NG forums people try third party and come back to stock. Didn't offer more. Though i think the difference is speed. If you internet is over 200Mbs then stock is better because of hardware acceleration otherwise you won't notice a slowdown

There are two features i'm interested in
AB solution to control ads
A way to log what a device is doing and where it went on the net

I wanted to playwith my previous router WNDR3800 that's given me five years of non stop trouble free service. It still works, just thought i should get a new one. Idea was i would put roms on it, didn't d anything, in fact i didn't even update the stock firmware.

Now i have another so can play, couldn't do it with only one before

For now just getting to know how stock behaves. My laptop seems to lose 2.4 at least once a day but otherwise its fine.

Last edited:
Well, I got it for 4.5k in an Amazon sale which was a pretty nice deal. In fact, I had raised a request for refund as the first unit I got had several issues including continuous connection drops on both wireless and wired, but later changed the request to replacement. The replacement unit has been pretty stable for me.
I read your post when you got it. I'm leery of these deals. See people complaining that they get returned items so already opened. Hence the low price ;) Also you have to be watching out for them. Then its a pressure sales thing. Decide now

When i was researching it, it was 10k, a few days later it jumped to 10.5 and by the time i was ready to commit was 11.7k

Am curious how you ended up with the R7000? initially i was looking at the R7800 but range is what i wanted to improve on, not throughput

Fortunately i found someone who did testing and the best part is he used the WNDR3800 as a reference so the R7000 was a clear pick here

Pete's AC router shoot out

What are you on and recommend ?

Has the KRACK attack fix been addressed. Tomato won't get it. Don't know about the others

Also in the NG forums people try third party and come back to stock. Didn't offer more. Though i think the difference is speed. If you internet is over 200Mbs then stock is better because of hardware acceleration otherwise you won't notice a slowdown

There are two features i'm interested in
AB solution to control ads
A way to log what a device is doing and where it went on the net

I wanted to playwith my previous router WNDR3800 that's given me five years of non stop trouble free service. It still works, just thought i should get a new one. Idea was i would put roms on it, didn't d anything, in fact i didn't even update the stock firmware.

Now i have another so can play, couldn't do it with only one before

For now just getting to know how stock behaves. My laptop seems to lose 2.4 at least once a day but otherwise its fine.
Advanced Tomato. Its awesome. Some of the logging features might not work. I think adblock was coming too, but that would be better done via a cheap Orange pi connected via lan running pi hole

On the plus side though, i discovered I had mistakenly limited the bandwidth of my desktop and it DID actually limit it all this time :D
So some/most of the stuff works. I've been on it for a year. Stable as rock.

I dont care about the latest and greatest vulnerabilities, you can see all connected devices listed.

AB Solution works on xwrt-vortex

So that is what i might look at.

I notice the laptop losing wifi occasionally on 2.4ghz on the current stock build. Just hit reconnect and its back. The router isn't rebooting so this is stable

problems with 5ghz. I normally use static ip addrs but since i have a couple of smart switches have been forced to use dhcp.

Best part of this router is a usable 5Ghz, my previous it wasn't strong enough to get through a couple of walls

If you switch to open source firmware, be aware you will lose hardware NAT acceleration.
Apparently not in the case with xwrt-vortex

http://xvtx.ru/xwrt/about.htm

Asuswrt-Merlin is an alternative, custom version of that firmware. Developped by Eric Sauvageau, its primary goals are to enhance upon the existing firmware without bringing any radical changes, and to fix some of the known issues and limitations, while maintaining the same level of performance as the original firmware. This means Xwrt-Vortex retains full support for NAT acceleration (sometimes referred to as "hardware acceleration"), enhanced NTFS performance (through the proprietary drivers used by Asus from either Paragon or Tuxera), and the Asus exclusive features such as AiCloud or the TrendMicro-powered AiProtection. New feature addition is very low on the list of priorities in this project.

Xwrt-Vortex is a port of Asuswrt-Merlin for different routers developped by Vortex

The other thing that has to be mentioned is hardware acceleration is typically only noticeable if your internet speed is in excess of 200Mbs. Unless people here are on such high speeds any of the other firmwares will be fine as well

NAT Acceleration is a set of special designed software rules with hardware features created to speed up internet connections. They are usually required for peak speed when you have incoming internet speed above certain level. You typically do not need it for internet speed below 100 mb/sec.

You should typically enable NAT acceleration or Cut-Through Forwarding when you have internet speed above 100 mb/sec. You will typically only see a difference for speed above 200 mb/s.

https://routerguide.net/nat-acceleration-on-or-off/

Anyone? Few hours left to buy
Not sure, i used range as the primary factor to chose and there were only two contenders the R7000 & asus 68U, The R7000 did better.

The next part is good alternative support. Unfortunately netgear has not done well with their stock firmware, the 1.0.7 series is more stable than the 1.0.9

Am looking at x vrtex currently. no support for the ea7500 there[DOUBLEPOST=1516469334][/DOUBLEPOST]yeah, ZERO 3rd party firmware for the the EA7500

Technically not required but nice to have to keep your inner geek happy

Last edited:
Not sure, i used range as the primary factor to chose and there were only two contenders the R7000 & asus 68U, The R7000 did better.

The next part is good alternative support. Unfortunately netgear has not done well with their stock firmware, the 1.0.7 series is more stable than the 1.0.9

Am looking at x vrtex currently. no support for the ea7500 there[DOUBLEPOST=1516469334][/DOUBLEPOST]yeah, ZERO 3rd party firmware for the the EA7500

Technically not required but nice to have to keep your inner geek happy

Well thanks but slept off and missed the deal :p

Doubt I will go with open firmware but ya the EA7500 has nothing

Back