CPU/Mobo How long did you CPU last and what are the tips to increase life.

Note: I did not know where to put this so put it up in General talk.

Hey guys share your experience with your CPU's so we can know what to do, what not to do and which brand and model has been very reliable.
The reliability of Stock CPU's has always amazed me, they seem to last for ages. Things do change with overclocking. So let us also share how long did our respective processors last.
This topic because I have seen almost all other parts having a much higher rate of failure than processors which amazes me. If anyone knows the reason, please do share.

Format:
CPU: Intel Pentium 4 2.8 GHz HT
Life: Still working after 8 years :scared14: .
Overclocked: No
Overclocked time(months/years after purchase): Nil
Stock frequency: 2.8Ghz
Overclock frequency: NA
Cooling type/Cooler used: Air/Stock cooler

Also do share any tips or advise you recommend to take care of the CPU so that it last a long time. I do not know what I did right with my PC but my old, very old processor is still working.
Thanks all

This thread could have gone in the CPU & Mobo sub-section.

None of the three CPUs (1 AMD, 2 Intel) i've used have died and am sure that is pretty much the case with most people out there. Barring any manufacturing faults, with proper cooling and a good power supply, most CPUs will go a fair distance before giving up.

my desktop has a pentium D processor. have been using it regularly everyday for 6 years + (I am still using it, tho reduced usage after i got my laptop 2 weeks back)
in the meantime changed my mobo ram and hdd but the processor is the same.

Format:
CPU: Intel Pentium D 2.66 GHz
Life: Still working after 6 years .
Stock frequency: 2.66Ghz
Cooling type/Cooler used: Stock cooler for 2 years. Using the cheap coolermaster heatsink + fan after(Rs 350) that

OT: Even my Circle PSU is working fine from 6 years.

we have several desktops in at work which are running fine even after 10 years. usually these desktops run 24/7. before I threatened my manager for a loptop I was using p4 which was almost 10 years old, was using for day to day work. :p

CPU: AMD Athlon
Motherboard : Asus A7N8X-X
Life: Still working after 9 years
scared14.gif
Stock frequency: 1.8Ghz
Cooling type/Cooler used: Stock cooler
Ever changed TIM : No

Note: I thought of also including the Motherboard ..... the longevity of the Processor also depends on the robustness/stability of the motherboard.

The above is still lying around at home (unused today), I am on the lookout to hand it over/sell it to anyone (dirt cheap).... BUT rather not give it to the kabadiwallah.

I have the following working chips

Pentium MMX 166Mhz - 15 years old.
Penitum II 400MHz - 13 years old
Pentium III 733MHz - 12 years old
Pentium IV 1.7GHz - 10 years old
Athlon 64 3000+ - 8 years old (donated now)
Core 2 Duo E6300 - 5 years old (given to cousin now)
Core 2 Duo E6600 - 5 years old
Core 2 Quad Q9550 - 3 years old.

Apart from the first two CPU's all of the rest have been overclocked.

Problem with older CPUs is to find working motherboard.
CPUs last much longer without giving any problems.

I've got Intel E6550 2.33 GHz which is about 5 years old and still working. (You never forget your first CPU. :) )
Bought new PC in July (Intel i5 3550 3.3 GHz), no problems till now.

I've got Intel E6550 2.33 GHz which is about 5 years old and still working. (You never forget your first CPU. :) )
Bought new PC in July (Intel i5 3550 3.3 GHz), no problems till now.
True that mate.
1st CPU was a Pentium III 900 MHz bought in May 2000. Ran overclocked for all these years. Sold it in 2010 in a working condition. :)

I have a Celeron 1.8 GHz since 2003. Isn't been used it since sister's marriage. Still works.
Has a Asus mobo and that works too despite having 4 - 5 bent pins on an IC :eek:hyeah:

My current desktop I assembled in 2007. Has a Core 2 Duo E8400. And its been working flawless ever since.
Mobo's are more prone to conk off. The processor hardly ever conks off. Its the fact that we outgrow the processing power by the applications we use due to which we upgrade our CPU and mobo.

Good to know everybody's experiences. But the question is why are processors so reliable?. Is it in the fabrication technology or the materials used or ... what ?.
I personally had my P4 is a crappy cabinet which I hardly used to clean with a dusty heat sink fan and what not till quite long. Still it works, that amazes me.
While everything else had been replaced- mobo,ram,hdd,psu.

I have had 6 PCs in last 14-15years and saw 1 cpu fail.

It was an AMD Athlon but both mobo and cpu got fried due to some power supply issue.

My uncle was using his 1996-97 bought Intel MMX 166Mhz based PC till last year. The reason to junk it - It was getting difficult to source serial mouse and compatible keyboard. And he couldnt upgrade from his parallel port DMP to a USB printer :)

My first cpu was a celeron back in 2002. Then came the p4 and currently using C2D E7400 since 4 years now. Heavily overclocked it for benching. Now it runs at a constant oc of 3.51ghz since a year.

Willing to upgrade it for future purposes but many other priorities to cater first. :unsure:

My uncle was using his 1996-97 bought Intel MMX 166Mhz based PC till last year. The reason to junk it - It was getting difficult to source serial mouse and compatible keyboard. And he couldnt upgrade from his parallel port DMP to a USB printer :)

:scared14::scared14: thats awesome

My first cpu was a celeron back in 2002. Then came the p4 and currently using C2D E7400 since 4 years now. Heavily overclocked it for benching. Now it runs at a constant oc of 3.51ghz since a year.

Willing to upgrade it for future purposes but many other priorities to cater first. :unsure:

No problem mate, your current system is nice enough. Good to know the Core2Duo's are still pretty much usable. Great processors.

Good to know everybody's experiences. But the question is why are processors so reliable?. Is it in the fabrication technology or the materials used or ... what ?.
I personally had my P4 is a crappy cabinet which I hardly used to clean with a dusty heat sink fan and what not till quite long. Still it works, that amazes me.
While everything else had been replaced- mobo,ram,hdd,psu.

Simple. They don't have any moving parts. As long as the working temperature is kept under control, they'll work for a pretty long time with very few things to go wrong. That being said, if you really want processor failure rates you should look at the statistics of some large data center. They replace hardware on a daily basis - mostly failed drives or burned out switches, but processors also contribute a suprisingly significant amount to the total unscheduled maintenance costs.

My longest serving cpu was AMD Opteron 175 dual core which lasted from Oct 2005 to March 2011 and was then given to a friend locally who is still using it till date. It was used with an Asus A8N-E motherboard and that is still working now. So that's technically 2005 to 2013. Regular cleaning of the system with a new coat of thermal paste every 6 -8 months was all that I did to prolong its life.

My first desktop was a Datamini with a Celeron 300A - 300mhz cpu which lasted us from 1997 to 2005. We sold it off to get a new Pentium 4 presscott which was the shortest I've used a computer (jan 2005 to March 2005). i sold it off because it heated up like hell.

Back