PC Peripherals How many cooling fans should I go with?

adventureguy

Skilled
Hi all,

I just built a pc recently and I can use some pointers on how many fans I should install on my build.

My pc case is corsair SPEC-01 which comes with 1 fan installed(?). gfx card comes with one fan and processor comes with another I believe. So 3 fans in total.

rest of the build consists of i5 4460 , gtx 970 asus strix 4gb, and gigabyte b85m-d3h and antec 500vp smps.

So you suggest I use all the openings on the case. hmmm.. can you suggest some good branded fans?
Well dont waste all money on fans only bro,if ur pc is not water cooled go for a sealed water cooler plus
regarding fans only go for CM Jetflo or corsair AF i have 5 of these and work excellent.

buy from local shops they give discount i got each jetflo for 900rs

i got cooler master silencio's they r just launched very silent but very efficient - 3x of those and 2x noctuas for my watercooler . jetflos or cm's are also very nice indeed as phoenix suggested, all depends on how much and what type of cooling u want and what ur willing to spend for it... u get cheaper fans aswell. deepcool has some cheapo fans which r nice.

Why do you need water cooler for i5-4460 which can not be overclocked ? I would suggest removing 120mm fan from front and connect it to rear exhaust. For front intake get another 140mm since it is supported. See with this setup if heat is still not dissipating properly, you can add more fans later.

yea get 4x 120mm fans or 2x 140 for the front and 2x120 for the top and u should be fine, dont need a watercooler for that rig... its just not needed.

thanks for the suggestions.much appreciated. will be buying 4 fans tomorrow. will update it here.[DOUBLEPOST=1449074625][/DOUBLEPOST]
My suggestion: make sure that you install cooling fan for hard drives. This will help extending their life.
Wait. SSDs require cooling? AFAIK ssds don't have any moving parts so heat generated is minimum and hence don't require any cooling right?

Why do you need water cooler for i5-4460 which can not be overclocked ? I would suggest removing 120mm fan from front and connect it to rear exhaust. For front intake get another 140mm since it is supported. See with this setup if heat is still not dissipating properly, you can add more fans later.

Wrong, u can BCLK overclock 4gen processors i got a 4440 overclocked it actually does give a slight boost 15% max[DOUBLEPOST=1449078353][/DOUBLEPOST]3k at the least and will look appealing and not heat issues
How much will a watercooler cost?

i got a 4440 overclocked it actually does give a slight boost 15% max

That's some bullshit. Why ? Read on;

First of all, Intel has stripped this BCLK OC from Haswell processors. Source 1 Source 2 So whatever crap 15% OC from BCLK you stated is not applicable for Haswell but for Sandybridge and Ivy Bridge.

Second, overclocking BCLK is least preferred OC way. It not just overclocks your CPU but also other things like graphic cards(PCI-E bus) and memory. Rising BCLK to 104-106 for non-k is maximum seen across web. For k-series there is something knows as BLCK Strap OC which gives fixed BCLK values like 125 and so on. Hence unless you change multiplier or VCore voltage you not going to get 15% boost solely from BCLK.

Example: Considering fact stated in point 1, let us consider i5-3550 (Ivy Bridge chip) which turbos to 3.7GHz. Even if you get your BLCK at 106 MHz you are not crossing ~3.92GHz - that's mere ~220MHz OC; which I would not even call an OC. To have 15% OC, you would need to hit frequency of 4.255GHz which is impossible without playing around with multiplier and VCore voltage. Even after that stability of OC is questionable. Hence I do not buy your claim of 15% OC on BCLK for i5-4440.

thanks for the suggestions.much appreciated. will be buying 4 fans tomorrow. will update it here.[DOUBLEPOST=1449074625][/DOUBLEPOST]
Wait. SSDs require cooling? AFAIK ssds don't have any moving parts so heat generated is minimum and hence don't require any cooling right?
I dont think SSD need a dedicated cooling fan. But Magnetic Hardisks must.

I dont think SSD need a dedicated cooling fan. But Magnetic Hardisks must.
Wow that's a first.
Guess what, no tech site actually recommends a hardisk fan. Maybe if you are working in server environment then you might need some. But for a home user pc its plain stupid.
I guess that the way it's going. People would soon require to put fans on there as* so that they don't shit around when there pc temperature would cross 50-60' Centigrates. Lol

Wow that's a first.
Guess what, no tech site actually recommends a hardisk fan. Maybe if you are working in server environment then you might need some. But for a home user pc its plain stupid.
I guess that the way it's going. People would soon require to put fans on there as* so that they don't shit around when there pc temperature would cross 50-60' Centigrates. Lol
I dont care what techsites are recommending , with personal experience , its better to keep the HDDs cool for lasing long. Consider example of a Laptop (I know we are talking about Desktop here), most of the time, HDD goes down if we use it in a less ventilated on bed, sofa etc. Still the MB and processor will be running alright.

Back