How Many times can i use the windows cd?

Hey folks,

I got a mate that wants to install Windows XP Pro. on his pc , i have a legal OEM copy of it, can install on his pc too?

Thnx in advance for your replies!

In all probabilities, that OEM CD comes with a single user license for WIn XP. That means legally, it can be used on ony one PC at a time. Though there are no limitations to the number of times that CD can be used, it mite be illegal to install the OS from your CD on ur friend's PC.

Only one copy can exist on one computer at a time. If you install on his pc, you have to remove your windows installation. If you install on his pc without removing your own, its a violation of EULA. (All the above applies unless its a volume license in which the same key/copy may be used on multiple comps)

Chaos said:
Only one copy can exist on one computer at a time. If you install on his pc, you have to remove your windows installation. If you install on his pc without removing your own, its a violation of EULA. (All the above applies unless its a volume license in which the same key/copy may be used on multiple comps)

I dont think even that is possible. OEM copies CAN BE installed only on the system they are shipped with. Legally that is. Its like the OS copy is married to that PC. U cud transfer it to someone ALONG with the PC ONLY, not seperately.

Atleast thats what i have understood so far :D

i own an oem windows xp home edition.

it can exist on one system at a time as chaos has mentioned.

if you intend to remove one installation and install on other system you will have to reactivate it with help of micsrosoft.

married os comes with branded pcs which have repair disks which put your system to original system when it was manufactured.

while in case of reseller assembled pcs you do not have any branding in which case you can illegally utilise that oem cd for another pc.

Back