How much download speed do you get with 384 kbps

Gryph0n

Adept
I'm on an Airtel 256 kbps unlimited plan taken almost 2 yrs ago, and am pretty happy with their service. I have recently noticed that they are now offering 384 kbps unlimited at the same rate as my 256 kbps plan.

I'm don't think they would have upgraded my plan automatically. Just to be sure before I called them up to upgrade, I wanted to confirm download speeds for 384 kbps.

On uTorrent, I see speeds of ~30 kBps (Kilo bytes, not bits).

Speedtest.net rates me at 272 kb/s.

395690011.png

So, am I on 384 kbps, or do i call up Airtel to ask them to upgrade my plan?

They will not upgrade unless you request them to.... So mail them & ask for an upgrade.... Then you will get 384kbps speed....

the same thing happened with me. they didnt upgrade on their own, i had to call them up. with 384 kbps u get a download speed of 48 kbps.

to find your theoretical download speed divide the speed of the link (plan) by 8.

so 384/8 = 48kBps, although practically it will be slightly lower than that (maybe around 45ish)

same for your present 256 connection.. 256/8 = 32 which is what you should get, but practically you get 30ish.

Yep, I am on airtel 384 kbps and is getting a speed of avg 45 kB/s on downloading torrents.

Earlier the connection was tata indicom. It also gave 45 kB/s, but the connection was dropping every 3-5 minutes.

Now it is completely fine once switched to airtel.:hap2:

I get 45 on well seeded torrents. On HTTP downloads, I get almost 45-46 constantly.

Torrents, for me average is about 40.

but... you may have not noticed that the upgrade will cost you more since with upgraded speed they'll also increase your call rates....

I'm a little lucky here to get automatically upgraded with the old call rates....

Thanks guys.

Called up Airtel today, and they said they'll change the plan to 384 unlimited in another 3 days.

They havent said anything about any charges for changing the plan, so i'm hoping its for free :hap2:

Keeping fingers crossed till the next bill comes :eek:hyeah:

Gryph0n said:
They havent said anything about any charges for changing the plan, so i'm hoping its for free :hap2:

Keeping fingers crossed till the next bill comes :eek:hyeah:

you should actually make sure at your end. once you upgrade your plan, you will not be able to dispute a higher bill when you get it. if paying more is ok with you, then it's not an issue... but if you don't want to, then find out for sure whether your upgrade is free or not.

Speed of 48 kbps? U mean 48kBps na?
Sidhu_21 said:
the same thing happened with me. they didnt upgrade on their own, i had to call them up. with 384 kbps u get a download speed of 48 kbps.

Nice change from TATA. Congo.
mathew_p_a said:
Yep, I am on airtel 384 kbps and is getting a speed of avg 45 kB/s on downloading torrents.

Earlier the connection was tata indicom. It also gave 45 kB/s, but the connection was dropping every 3-5 minutes.

Now it is completely fine once switched to airtel.:hap2:

45kBps u mean?
apextwin146 said:
I get 45 kbps constant in AirTel

I donno why tata is like this.. I love tata and I wonder why the telecoms backbone provider is having trouble with giving a good broadband to their end customers.

May be it will get good at some places..Better check with your place before going to any other provider:eek:hyeah:

ROCKFELLA said:
Speed of 48 kbps? U mean 48kBps na?

Nice change from TATA. Congo.

45kBps u mean?

I am using Airtel and I can get speed b/w 28 - 33 Kbps....

If you upgrade to 384kbps you will get around 44 - 49 kbps download speed...

get bsnl 500c pla

n d enjoy from 2am to 8 am great speed

my spike is 250kbps

sometimes it downloads at 160 in torrent depending on the peers

but it may go down to 3-10 sometimes when no seeds are there

Airtel told me it'll take 3 days to get it done. I assumed 3 working days. (I had requested this on Saturday. Sunday was holiday, and Monday was Republic day). So I was thinking this would be done by Wed or Thu.

Got a splendid republic day surprise from Airtel : By afternoon on Republic Day i got my 384 kbps. You gotta love the customer service at Airtel :hap2:

Back