CPU/Mobo How much has Sandy/Haswell improved on Nehalem? Has PileDriver caught up?

Mechanic

Skilled
A very nice comparison between 3 similarly priced processors from 1st Gen Core(Nehalem),2nd Gen Core(Sandy Bridge) and AMD BullDozer.
Notice how the Bulldozer fails to scratch even the age old Nehalem.

HD 7970: Bulldozer vs. Sandy Bridge vs. Nehalem Review | techPowerUp
Though the review says the processors are priced at 250$,
if you are willing to search and live with EOL proccy, you could get new I5 750 for around 6K ,
PRimeABGB has them at that price

And here is another comparison in the same vein, here all three processors are compared at same clocks, effectively comparing architectures.
Sandy vs Nehalem Vs Bulldozer Vs Piledriver.
Sandy Bridge vs Nehalem vs Bulldozer vs Piledriver {BENCHMARKS!!!} | TechPowerUp Forums

looks to me like AMD is in a rut, its Bull Pile :p processors are overpriced and underperforming
and Intel hasn't been improving much too,
not much difference between Sandy and Nehalem too.
And I don't think Haswell improves on Sandy by even 10% when it comes to gaming

p.s.
I am not a fanboy of sorts and I don't work for Intel/AMD.

Fx6300/6200 vs core i7 3820/ core i7 920. And its a more than a year old.
Really fare comparison. :rolleyes:
The comparison that you referred to is a comparison of the architectures involved.
all of the processors involved have been overclocked to the same clock rate.
none of the games that was benched use more than 4 cores.
so yes it is fair, even if it doesn't look otherwise.

the second comparison on the other hand compares processors of the same price range i.e. 250$ at stock clocks.
FX 8150 vs i7 920 vs i5 2500K

and although the findings may have been old, they are still relevant.

Whatever rocks your boat. Unsubscribed from thread.
Didn't know I was running a subscription service,
I happened upon some info which seemed interesting, so I shared it here , maybe expected some civil discussion on this topic.
You're unsubscribing, that's entirely irrelevant.

But I sure as heck don't like the tone in which it was said :)

just sayin'

Fx6300/6200 vs core i7 3820/ core i7 920. And its a more than a year old.
Really fare comparison. :rolleyes:
The official techpowerup review had an FX 8150. Both the 8150 and 2500k were launched the same year and targeting the same price point. So seems fair enough considering AMD advertises these as 8 cores and still sells these as their flagship range. The surprising thing is Bulldozer has caught up with Nehalem. Of course this only compares gaming performance, which as the resolution charts indicate is largely GPU limited.

if you are willing to search and live with EOL proccy, you could get new I5 750 for around 6K ,
PRimeABGB has them at that price
Not bad, users with LGA 1155 boards running i3s have an easy upgrade route :) People considering making a new setup might find it tough to get a 1155 board though.

The official techpowerup review had an FX 8150. Both the 8150 and 2500k were launched the same year and targeting the same price point. So seems fair enough considering AMD advertises these as 8 cores and still sells these as their flagship range. The surprising thing is Bulldozer has caught up with Nehalem. Of course this only compares gaming performance, which is as the resolution charts indicate is largely GPU limited.

Not bad, users with LGA 1155 boards running i3s have an easy upgrade route :) People considering making a new setup might find it tough to get a 1155 board though.
Although Bulldozer/piledriver has "caught up" with Nehalem, they sure did take their own sweet time!
and by this time Intel has improved upon their lineup, so the AMD processors(above 10K /170$)) are still 4 steps behind.

I read an article (Toms/Guru don't remember exactly) where the reviewer compared on how Intel and AMD has been improving upon their CPU lineups from 2008 to 2013.
the improvement curve for Intel Nehalem to Haswell is steeper than AMD's Deneb to Piledriver.

so that means that if(unlikely though) it continues like this, AMD would never ever truly catch up with Intel and the gaps would just keep increasing.

AMD needs something truly revolutionary and drastically improved architecture jumps like it was from Pentium to Conroe to Nehalem.

and yeah I5 750 is available at Prime and numerous other retailers for 7k, when I called them up they'd happily reduce the prices to 5.5 to 6k
keep in mind these are quite old stock and the retailers want to get rid of them fast.[DOUBLEPOST=1392869877][/DOUBLEPOST]some interesting info
http://techreport.com/review/23750/amd-fx-8350-processor-reviewed/5
this compares intel and amd processors from 2010 to 2013.

interesting how the age old i5 760 still mauls the newer fx 8350
also check out the last page graph for the gaming perf/$ comparison
http://techreport.com/review/23750/amd-fx-8350-processor-reviewed/14

both 760 and 8350 were taken at bin price of 200$

Last edited:
Yeah this assumes someone is savvy enough to recognise the power of an external GPU over the IGP. Some of the rig recommendations recently showed that for the same price as an A8 proc (I believe they sell for as low as 8k), you could do better with a Pentium G2020 (3.5k) + GT630 (4.5k) = 8k. You also need 1866/2133MHz RAM to extract the most out of the APUs. Ironically the A8/A10 might have a slight edge in the CPU department, since the multiple cores will be useful in heavily multi-threaded apps.
I'm not considering the A4/A6 APUs since they lack any reasonable CPU grunt and are slower than even the old-gen Athlon II X2 procs.

I was also under the impression that the AMD boards support USB 3.0, but the widely prevalent A55 chipset does not have USB 3.0. You need to step up to the A75/A85 boards which start from 5k+. If one is willing to spend 5k on an AMD board, then they can easily spend 4k on an Intel B75 board.

Edit: I just remembered one advantage with the APUs - they have all virtualization capabilities unlocked :)

Last edited:
Back