How much internet time to be given to a 5 year old kid?

I'm from Kolkata, my mom and dad both passed away ( mom this March) My sister is in Amsterdam. So no close family. I have uncle/ aunts in Kolkata. But they are old people, cousins are all settled elsewhere (mostly in India, but different parts)
BTW, do you know if Goa is a safe place to travel?

Last edited:
Not been to Goa in a long time. Had friends visit there some time back and they told me it was crawling with Russian gangsters. The other expatriates there are Israeli.

I don't think there should be any problems with Goa. Its very touristy these days compared to the hippie escape it was in the 70s & 80s.

Heard some horror stories in Slovakia, rape, murder etc. I’m not worried, but my wife is. She was afraid of Kolkata/ entire India anyway. She has never been to Asia before. So far everything is going smooth, except the local sabji wallas looting her every time.

I'm from Kolkata, my mom and dad both passed away ( mom this March) My sister is in Amsterdam. So no close family. I have uncle/ aunts in Kolkata. But they are old people, cousins are all settled elsewhere (mostly in India, but different parts)
BTW, do you know if Goa is a safe place to travel?

I'm very, very sorry if I'm being rude, but if you have no close family connections here in India... why bother returning? For nostagia's sake?

Heard some horror stories in Slovakia, rape, murder etc. I’m not worried, but my wife is. She was afraid of Kolkata/ entire India anyway. She has never been to Asia before. So far everything is going smooth, except the local sabji wallas looting her every time.
You are worried about your kid. What about your wife. You said she only speaks Czech. No English even ?

How then does she handle all these overseas trips. Can't be easy.

Stories of rape & murder have been going on for many years now. Rule is she is accompanied and not alone after dark. Son is always with you.

Just basic precautions. Do in Goa whatever you do in Cal and you should be ok.

The looting bit makes me a bit ashamed because its so blatant. I had an English friend over some time back. Every trip with a rick the price jumped more than twice. Total discrimination. Like every white person has to be a millionaire. The incessant sob stories to elicit a fat tip. Its a shake down from start to end. So we figured out a plan, i'd hail the rick, fix the price and then he'd stand ten feet away and once settled he'd jump in. You should have heard the cries of indignation once the boot was on the other foot. All hail the Indian free market :)

My friend wondered why i was arguing over a few pence as he saw it. But i thought there was some principle here.

You mentioned Goa. Have you booked your tickets already ?

Last edited:
North goa is where the drunk crowds are. South goa is the quiet one. Went a few years ago with family, 10 people, Booked a nice bunglow in a colony. 1-2 km away from an nice beach. having a few huts, places for eating. Mostly there were only few families, but still had some activities - jet ski and all.

I'm very, very sorry if I'm being rude, but if you have no close family connections here in India... why bother returning? For nostagia's sake?
It's good for the son to establish a connection with the old country. Son is half Indian after all.

@letmein, yes brother, it’s hard to tear down your roots completely from some city where you grew up, fell in love for the first time, first heartbreak...etc.etc.
Moreover my wife is fascinated by Indian culture (what I told, old photographs, reading books etc)
@blr_p , yes buddy,we booked long before we arrived here.Yes, my wife is struggling too, she speaks bits and pieces of English. But she can handle things herself. Yes, it’s a bad feeling, when everyone think we are millionaires (we are just doctors of community medicine, with fixed salaries, definitely high compared to India, but not rich by any means)
After Goa we will be going to Varanasi and move north till Jammu & Kashmir. That’s the plan, we have already booked the flights and hotels, let’s see.

Back