Budget 71-90K How much will this config cost?

Orija

Adept
Building a new pc from the ground up. Here's the config:

Monitor: DELL U2312HM
PSU: Corsair TX650V2
CPU: i5 2500k (or Ivy Bridge equivalent)
GPU: AMD 7870 (preferably from Sapphire or Asus)
RAM: G-Skill RipJaws X/Corsair Vengeance 4GB (or 8GB if the budget permits)
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77
HDD: Seagate 1TB 3.5"
Cabinet: NZXT Gamma
UPS: APS BR1100VA-I (a cheaper option would be welcome)

Q: What is your budget?
75K-80K

Q: Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component.
Yes, unless you guys provide an alternative.

Q: Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
Chandigarh, retail.

Q: Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
No.

Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
Gaming
Download rig, 24x7 operation
Watching HD movies

Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
Prefer Asus for their quality.

Q: If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
The heavy stuff: STALKER, Metro, Crysis on 1920x1080.

Q: What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
1080p

Q: Are you looking to overclock?
Yes, the processor only.

Q: Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
Windows 7 64 bit/Windows 8

Here's what I need to know:
How much is all this gonna cost?
Are their better alternatives to any of the components?

@Orija this is what I suggest --

Intel Core i5 2500k ~13500/- [as the Ivy-Bridge unlocked quad-cores are yet to be available]
ASUS P8Z77M-PRO ~11500/- OR ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ~9500/- [a comprehensive round-up review of several Z77 based motherboards]
G.Skill RIPJAWS OR Corsair Vengeance 4GB x2 ~3500/-
AMD HD 7870 2GB ~22000/- [brand upto you, I would recommend that you go for Sapphire OR HIS cards]
Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 1TB ~5500/- [this is the latest revision of the Brarracuda family with a larger cache and incremental performance leap with SATA III support]
HP [boxed / Samsung [OEM] optical drive ~1000/-
Corsair TX V2 650W ~5800/-
Corsair Carbide 400R ~4500/-
Dell U2312M ~15000/-
APC BR-1.1KVA-IN ~4800/- [I am sorry nothing cheaper than this will cut it for your RIG]
LOGITECH G400 ~1500/-
LOGITECH multimedia keyboard ~500/- OR TVS Mechanical Gold ~1500/-

The grand total is tipping the scales at ~85000/-

You can cut spending on these components --
  • go for a HD 7850 2GB instead of the 7870;
  • get a single module of 4GB for now, add another ~2 -->3 months later;
  • settle for a run of the mill TN panel monitor.

Hope this helps. Cheerio!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Woah, thanks, man. This helps a lot.

AMD HD 7870 2GB ~22000/- [brand upto you, I would recommend that you go for Sapphire OR HIS cards]
Which one of these has the best customer support in India?

Corsair Carbide 400R ~4500/-
So, the NZXT Gamma won't be enough?

I don't need an Optical drive, mouse or keyboard so that ought to bring the cost down a bit. Also, the prices you mention are recent enough, right? I thought the 7870 cost around 25k after the fall of the rupee.

Few changes I would like to add..
if your buying 2500k stick with z68 if available for cheap. 2500k-12k , ivy i5-3570k -14.5k
Go for seasonic 850W ( bronze certified ACTIVE PFC & same features as corsair but doesnt come in a fancy looking box thats it) - 6.2k , 400 bucks more.
Yes do buy 4gig & later upgrade. 1.5k
Asrock extreme 4 z77 chipset board will do great .9.5k or else I will still recommend ASUS micro atx gene z 4 for 12.5k if your going for sandy build it will also support ivy after flashing bios. Newer version is out maximus v check if your able find it in lynx.
All the best happy building..

I don't need an Optical drive, mouse or keyboard so that ought to bring the cost down a bit. Also, the prices you mention are recent enough, right? I thought the 7870 cost around 25k after the fall of the rupee.

Why don't you buy the GPU from this deal thread, prices are very competitive.

Out of the two Sapphire has a strong after sales network in India so yes you can buy that. Countering that fact is HIS offers some spiffy flavours like the IceQ Turbo edition that have a custom design cooler shroud which accounts for a drop in temperatures vis-á-vis stock shroud designs.

In counter Sapphire has the TOXIC edition which offers better over-clocks and on occasion comes with a mild factory over-clock itself.

HIS Digital cards can be purchased from this deal thread ask them who is responsible for after sales for the same.

Hope this helps, Cheerio!!

if your buying 2500k stick with z68 if available for cheap. 2500k-12k , ivy i5-3570k -14.5k
Go for seasonic 850W ( bronze certified ACTIVE PFC & same features as corsair but doesnt come in a fancy looking box thats it) - 6.2k , 400 bucks more.

I will still recommend ASUS micro atx gene z 4 for 12.5k if your going for sandy build it will also support ivy after flashing bios. Newer version is out maximus v check if your able find it in lynx.

The Panther-Point [H77 / Z77] chipsets are better buys as they are not very expensive over their Cougar-Point [Z68 / P67 / H67] counterparts and more importantly natively support features like --
  • USB 3.0, save valuable real-estate which will be eaten up by a micro-controller chip in the latter;
  • PCIe 3.0x native support;
  • Fabricated using 22nm process, it is even more frugal when it comes to power
  • In the price of an ASUS MAXIMUS GENE-Z IV, OP can buy a ASUS P8Z77-M PRO and that will be more than enough OR he can go for the ASRock Z77 Extreme4.

The Seasonic SS-850AT you have mentioned is the basis for Corsair's TX V2 series SMPS with a heavily cut down Limited Warranty of 2 years. I would say the Corsair TX V2 750W [~6500/-] is a better option in the light of this. Atleast you get decent warranty and support to boot, something not possible with Seasonic products [as far as I have read on the forum].

Apart from that I think @cooleagle was having issues with his Seasonic SS-500W SMPS.

Seasonic comes with 5 years warranty if I am not wrong .. Since I am already using it too , I purchased it without bill to be frank one more thing is I will get it replaced if something goes wrong too. After what corsair did buy adding cheap hardware few years back I have a bad feeling about them .. Its only my opinion ...

---------- Post added at 03:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:08 PM ----------

I even remember seasonic psu with a corsair sticker were sold .. The HX series from 450w to 650w

Seasonic comes with 5 years warranty if I am not wrong

After what corsair did buy adding cheap hardware few years back I have a bad feeling about them .. Its only my opinion

Depends on the family of SMPS, e.g. in India --

COOLER MASTER

eXtreme Pro series -- 2 years Limited warranty
GX series -- 5 years Limited warranty
Silent Pro series [and above] -- 5 years Limited warranty

Corsair --

CX V2 series -- 3 years Limited warranty
VS series [the new replacement for the stellar CX V2430W] -- 3 years warranty
GS series -- 3 years Limited warranty
TX V2 series [and above] -- 5 years Limited Warranty
AX / HX series -- 7 years Limited warranty

Same seems to be the case with Seasonic --

SS / ES series SMPS -- 2 years Limited warranty
S12II series -- 5 years Limited warranty
X series -- 5 years Limited warranty

I think I'll stick with Corsair, their products haven't failed failed me until now. One last thing, about the cabinet, does the Corsair Carbide provide a significant benefit over the Gamma NZXT because I could save quite a few grands getting the cheaper one?

Little correction-Seasonic SS series has 5 years warranty.
Depends on the family of SMPS, e.g. in India --

COOLER MASTER

eXtreme Pro series -- 2 years Limited warranty
GX series -- 5 years Limited warranty
Silent Pro series [and above] -- 5 years Limited warranty

Corsair --

CX V2 series -- 3 years Limited warranty
VS series [the new replacement for the stellar CX V2430W] -- 3 years warranty
GS series -- 3 years Limited warranty
TX V2 series [and above] -- 5 years Limited Warranty
AX / HX series -- 7 years Limited warranty

Same seems to be the case with Seasonic --

SS / ES series SMPS -- 2 years Limited warranty
S12II series -- 5 years Limited warranty
X series -- 5 years Limited warranty

I think I'll stick with Corsair, their products haven't failed failed me until now. One last thing, about the cabinet, does the Corsair Carbide provide a significant benefit over the Gamma NZXT because I could save quite a few grands getting the cheaper one?

Definitely a much better buy Orija; where will you source the NZXT Gamma from [in Chandigarh]?

Are you sure, because on JohnnyGuru the SS series SMPS has 2 years Limited warranty. Here is the thread I had tagged earlier too but now it is not allowing me to view anything.

Thanks Jakob.

Apparently, the 2500k is outdated now because of Ivy Bridge, shit. So, what is a good Ivy Bridge alternative to the 2500k, the retailer suggested the 3450?

Plus, which kind of RAM is compatible with Ivy Bridge processors?

Edit; Also, I asked around about the HIS 7870, it sucks that it offers a one year warranty only while Asus offers a three year one. Does HIS produce quality stuff, I don't know much about this one?

Apparently, the 2500k is outdated now because of Ivy Bridge, shit. So, what is a good Ivy Bridge alternative to the 2500k, the retailer suggested the 3450?

Edit; Also, I asked around about the HIS 7870, it sucks that it offers a one year warranty only while Asus offers a three year one. Does HIS produce quality stuff, I don't know much about this one?

I am assuming that you want to keep the over-clocking feature handy for the future, in that case the Core i5 3450 will not be what you need, the Core i5 3570k should be your aim. But if you can sacrifice over-clocking the Core i5 3550 is the best bet for you.

The issue with Ivy-Bridge processors is their availability here [India] also the current $ rates will not help the pricing one bit. So if you are in a tight fix and want to buy an over-clocking capable system your only option is the Core i5 2500k, which is not outdated per-se; the Sandy-Bridge processor can clock higher, the difference in IPC between the two families is barely more than ~20% in the most optimistic of scenarios and it is rumoured that the former runs very hot to compared to its older sibling [due to myriad of reasons not related to cutting corners while production].

So the Core i5 2500k is still game if you really want to go balls-to-the-wall whilst over-clocking, if you can live with a moderate over-clock the Core i5 3570k is what you should hunt down; if over-clocking is not a necessary addition then forsake it and go for the Core i5 3550.

All RAM modules compatible with Sandy-Bridge are compatible with the new crop of processors, I suggest that you stick to the G.Skill RIPJAWS 1600MHz modules I had suggested earlier. Faster frequency RAM will not equate to a spell bounding performance increment, they will just bump up the price.

In that case stick to either a Sapphire card OR an ASUS card, it is a pity indeed since HIS offers 3 years warranty worldwide [excluding us].

Man, this helps a lot. Thanks, really. I think I'm gonna go for 2500k, the only reason I was considering it was because the retailer told me it that wasn't available.

Faster frequency RAM will not equate to a spell bounding performance increment, they will just bump up the price.
True, faster frequency does nothing. My only criteria for selecting RAM is that it should be compatible with SB/IB, that's it.

In that case stick to either a Sapphire card OR an ASUS card, it is a pity indeed since HIS offers 3 years warranty worldwide [excluding us].
Yea, man, I looked up the card on Anandtech, and it really is quite good, probably the best of the lot. The thing is, I can't buy a GPU for 24k and then afford risking it going belly up after a year.

Also, the retailer says the NZXT cabinet is available should I get it or prefer the Carbide 400R?

Actually the HIS cards carry a 2 year warranty in most countries globally http://www.hisdigital.com/us/support-71.shtml , but are covered by a 3 year warranty in India from Tirupati Enterprises. You can also note this information from the deal thread of techextreme here http://www.techenclave.com/techxtreme/his-graphic-cards-131412/

So if the OP has his heart set on the HIS 7870 then he should go for it without worrying about warranty issues. Its quite a nice card. Just make sure it is being imported by an authorised distributor, in this case Tirupati.

Actually the HIS cards carry a 2 year warranty in most countries globally Warranty Service < Support | HIS Graphic Cards , but are covered by a 3 year warranty in India from Tirupati Enterprises. You can also note this information from the deal thread of techextreme here http://www.techenclave.com/techxtreme/his-graphic-cards-131412/

Thanks for the heads up @indus.

@Orija go for the HD 7870 IceQ Turbo Edition ~22500/-. It is the card to have with excellent acoustic's and impressive cooling with a good head-room for over-clocking. Here are review(s) for the same -- AnandTech - The Retail Radeon HD 7870 Review: HIS 7870 IceQ Turbo & PowerColor PCS+ HD7870 / HIS Radeon HD 7870 IceQ 2GB Video Cards in CrossFire Overclocked Review :: TweakTown USA Edition.

Also, the retailer says the NZXT cabinet is available should I get it or prefer the Carbide 400R?

Which NZXT cabinets are available, is the TEMPEST EVO in stock because the NZXT Gamma is going to have a tight time with the custom cooler on the NZXT IceQ Turbo edition.

The TEMPEST EVO ~6000/-, so I would suggest that you stick with the Corsair Carbide 400R for this one.

Bit of an update: So, went ahead and gave the order today. The entire thing, minus the gpu, cost me around 61500/- The only niggle was the cabinet, the Carbide 400R wasn't available and the retailer advised me against getting the NZXT case due to lack of a local service center. I've had to settle for the 300R, is that good enough?

@Orija good on ya' mate. So when will all this be reaching you?

Also if I were you I would have bought the NZXT Tempest EVO. But the Corsair Carbide 300R is not a bad option per-se, how much did he quote for it?

Back