How reliable is reliance chennai ?? for broad band internet

ubergeek

Skilled
iam gonna jump airtel anytime soon so and reliance bieng the only borad band provider who do not impose any kinda FUP in its plans i was wondering how good is reliance broadband In chennai in terms of

Customer Service
Downtime
Quality of Connection

^^......... same question....... i am looking for internet connection in chennai............. unlimited plans without FUP............

Positive

> no FUP ....

> Not had any down time so far.

negative

> pings are not stable ... in games i got very huge variance ...it starts around 190ms but then goes upto 4k all of a sudden

> connection is a shared WAN so speeds sometimes comes down during peak times(mostly sunday in my area ) ...

> customer service is pathetic ... the person who came to attend my problems only knows how to type ping ... when i called the CC person was rude by default ... even before i reported a problem( was more interested in saying what he cant do to help then try and help me).. Airtel was the same...

kolguy said:
Positive

> no FUP ....

> Not had any down time so far.

negative

> pings are not stable ... in games i got very huge variance ...it starts around 190ms but then goes upto 4k all of a sudden

> connection is a shared WAN so speeds sometimes comes down during peak times(mostly sunday in my area ) ...

> customer service is pathetic ... the person who came to attend my problems only knows how to type ping ... when i called the CC person was rude by default ... even before i reported a problem( was more interested in saying what he cant do to help then try and help me).. Airtel was the same...
do you reccomned them ???

kolguy said:
Are you sure about this? I thought they were on ADSL2 with a standard contention ratio

ubergeek said:
do you reccomned them ???

only if yo have to choose between airtel /bsnl and reliance and have no other choice...

agantuk said:
Are you sure about this? I thought they were on ADSL2 with a standard contention ratio

well you don't see people near you in network neighborhood with that do you ?

well i'm a reliance user, although not from chennai. i can't comment on their local setup/support, but there are other things which i can talk about.

first of all, i experience very little downtime with the connection. unless there is some technical fault (blown card or something like that), i can safely say that downtime doesn't occur for months. their speeds are always what they promise... if you have a 1mbps plan, you will get 1mbps and nothing less. i've known indian isps to have slower than advertised speeds, so this is a plus point. for gaming, their routing to europe, south east asia and america is the best i've seen in india. pings to se asia are ~100, europe ~180, north america (east coast) ~300. the routing will be more or less the same, no matter where in the country you take the connection. and finally customer support... let me tell you how their system works. they have 1 major hub in navi mumbai called dakc (dhirubhai ambani knowledge centre)... that is the central point of the entire reliance network around the country. whenever you have a problem with your internet/phone, you make a toll free call to a call centre in dakc... the person on the other end of the line will try a few basic things to get your net working again (eg. asking you to restart modem, reset your ip etc.). if that works, good. if not, they take down a complaint and that complaint is then forwarded to your city and the local reliance setup there. after that, the local people take care of it, and that can include home visits or they just fix it down the line. in my experience, they always solve any problems i have within 24 hours. sometimes the person who takes the call is a moron, but you can't really blame them for that... if they were qualified network engineers, odds are they wouldn't be answering phones. as long as they take down your complaint, it will land up in the lap of some competent person and the problem will get solved. this should hold true for chennai as well as any other part of the country.

Thanks for that.

I fancy this plan in particular: Combo 600+ Night^ Booster top up

What I am worried about:

1. Pathetic customer support, when things do go wrong?

2. Dodgy website and reports of a flaky online payment portal?

3. Downtime and general user exp?

4. The kind of equipment they offer?

Thing is, not many, in fact, no one I know has a Reliance BB connection here. So, I am a little skeptical about it.

Back