Android How remove pre-installed apps from Redmi phones

On my suggestion, a friend of mine bought Redmi 7A for his daughter who just started college. As per his budget requirement, Redmi 7A seemed like the best phone in that price range. Got it for 5799/- Rs from Flipkart.

It was working fine till now, but I got to know that the phone is hanging randomly now, and screen just freezes for more than an hour. She took it to some mobile shop without telling any of us. The shopkeeper formatted it I think and charged Rs 100/-.

I think the phone might be hanging because of less amount of RAM, which is 2 GB for the phone. There are many pre-installed apps of Redmi itself, and of Google, for which there is no option to uninstall, or to disable them. Add to that, she has installed apps like TikTok and Snapchat which I think take up more RAM.

Is there any way by which these pre-installed useless apps can be uninstalled?

The hanging problem is because of RAM being low, or something else might be the cause?

I have advised her to take the phone to Xiaomi care centre next time the problem occurs, instead of a random mobile shop. Since the phone is in warranty, if there is a problem with it, it can be replaced.

There's a Redmi debloat java tool on GitHub that shows what apps can be removed from Redmi phones. I'll link to it only if you know how to use adb and know what to remove. It shows system apps too, so if you unknowingly removed some system app only you are responsible for it.

Thank you for the replies guys.

I don't know how to use adb. Is it difficult to use, or involves a lot of process? I am a fairly technical person, and can use such tools, but nowadays I am not spending much time on the PC. If it's easy to use I will think about it.

Yes it wont for sure..
IF you are more concerned about the ads showing on all the bloatware from MI I would suggest goto Settings of those apps
And uncheck Receive Recommendations, sometimes its directly available without Settings.

This will stop maximum ad-ware from MI, even after you upgrade those apps.

I don't know how to use adb. Is it difficult to use, or involves a lot of process? I am a fairly technical person, and can use such tools, but nowadays I am not spending much time on the PC. If it's easy to use I will think about it.
Check XDA Developers, you can find read made scripts to debloat your phone.

Thank you for the replies guys.

It's not difficult. You need to just read some instructions.

The tool has been updated to only show apps that are safe to remove. You need to have java installed on your pc first for this to work. If you don't have java already installed, install the openjdk version. I think there was some new license policy by Oracle on using their new java runtimes now. Try to stay away from Oracle java as much as possible.

Xiaomi Debloater Link

On my suggestion, a friend of mine bought Redmi 7A for his daughter who just started college. As per his budget requirement, Redmi 7A seemed like the best phone in that price range. Got it for 5799/- Rs from Flipkart.

It was working fine till now, but I got to know that the phone is hanging randomly now, and screen just freezes for more than an hour. She took it to some mobile shop without telling any of us. The shopkeeper formatted it I think and charged Rs 100/-.

I think the phone might be hanging because of less amount of RAM, which is 2 GB for the phone. There are many pre-installed apps of Redmi itself, and of Google, for which there is no option to uninstall, or to disable them. Add to that, she has installed apps like TikTok and Snapchat which I think take up more RAM.

Is there any way by which these pre-installed useless apps can be uninstalled?

The hanging problem is because of RAM being low, or something else might be the cause?

I have advised her to take the phone to Xiaomi care centre next time the problem occurs, instead of a random mobile shop. Since the phone is in warranty, if there is a problem with it, it can be replaced.
https://fossbytes.com/miui-hidden-settings-for-xiaomi-remove-bloatware/

Dang, Java? I uninstalled Java from my system years ago, and have never had the need to install it again.

Since it is a phone of someone else, I do not want to take the risk of rooting the phone, and bricking it.

I have already unchecked the Receive Recommendations on the phone.

Till now, the phone has been working fine, so let's see. If I hear that it's again having the issue, then I will think about using the adb.

Thank you for all the suggestions.

I will try to read more on adb and also check out XDA forum.

Dang, Java? I uninstalled Java from my system years ago, and have never had the need to install it again.

Since it is a phone of someone else, I do not want to take the risk of rooting the phone, and bricking it.

I have already unchecked the Receive Recommendations on the phone.

Till now, the phone has been working fine, so let's see. If I hear that it's again having the issue, then I will think about using the adb.

Thank you for all the suggestions.

I will try to read more on adb and also check out XDA forum.
Don't root the phone man unless you want to experiment with it.
I did with my Motorola and bricked it by the local repair wala where another man poured life into it.
These chinese phones are useless pieces of shit. Low cost and backdoors.
Thats why US Gov banned Huawei.

Yes, I definitely won't be rooting the phone, specially a new one.

To be honest, I don't really trust these Chinese phones. I am very skeptical about them. I avoid using Chinese phones, and so far I have managed to do so for my own phones. But, such is the situation in India, that these Chinese phones are the ones which have captured almost the whole market or a major part of it. And they are available for all price range, specially the lower and mid range. And because of the lack of better options in terms of specifications, we are left with no choice but to go for them.

Funny thing is... Xiaomi, Vivo, Oppo and even One Plus.. all have the same parent company. So, one company has managed to sell its products by launching new brand names.

Thank goodness Nokia is back, and has provided quite a great alternative. But, they need to work on quality, as some of the models have really a lot of issues... even pricey ones.

We really need more quality choices apart from these Chinese phones.

Funny thing is... Xiaomi, Vivo, Oppo and even One Plus.. all have the same parent company. So, one company has managed to sell its products by launching new brand names.

Xiaomi is not BBK group. Xiaomi is like mini Samsung. They have hand in everything from phones, air filters, electric scooters, security cameras, smart devices, led TV, smart wearables, projectors, audio, water purifier, etc. They partner with tiny Chinese companies and lend their brand name to market their devices.

Last edited:
Back