How Sensible is this Slogan "Do not encourage Chinese products from now on"

Are you against buying Chinese products so that you can encourage Local manufacturing/Jobs or Because you want Chinese Govt to know that we give a Damn because they're supporting Pakistan.

Before China, Pakistan had direct support from US/UK.

To support local manufacturing/jobs, we need to boycott not only Chinese, but everything non-Indian.

We first need to be self-dependent, self-contented, self-reliant.

I can't explain this, but what I understand, the first step to be self-reliant is to reduce use of imported petroleum.
Next,
- start producing all kinds of weaponry (basic/advanced).
- Protect country's population from alienating forces.
- Root out the culture of bribe.
- Basic military training for all citizens.
- technical/financial support for local manufactures for upgrading their technology.
- stronger cultural/trade/cooperation based relations with other countries.
- many more things.

I feel it's beyond stupid!
I'm not calling out any person but rather find laughable the very idea of something like this because it goes against basic economics. What if China returned the favor by closing the doors on Indian iron-ore, which is among the largest Indian exports to that country?

You want to grow as a nation, you will have to trade. Inter-dependency is the bedrock of trade. You want to beat them then get on top of your game and get noticed; the way China has as a global manufacturing powerhouse.

I, for one, am glad that the gov or its reps are not adding to/aiding this jingoism while pursuing their efforts to corner Pakistan internationally.

Finally, be realistic. Do you really think you can COMPLETELY avoid Chinese manufactured items in your household/office?

Did you type that on a phone made in China? Or a keyboard made in China? While you were wearing clothes made in China? Watching a TV made in China?

My work uses electrical components that are made in China. Should I quit my job?

Should we also stop all flights to China? Dock all ships that sell OUR stuff there?

Fire anyone who is involved in the sale and distribution of Chinese goods? Nothing says "**** you China for supporting Pakistan" like putting thousands (or even hundreds of thousands) of Indians out of a job.

I swear rear echelon patriots come up with the dumbest fecking things I hear. Every few years someone's patriotism will flare up and they will come up with something this dumb. Thankfully their laziness trumps their stupidity so it is limited to sharing posts on facebook and whatsapp. So it kinda dies out in a few weeks. Just like this dumbshit idea will.

Anybody who wants to stop using Chinese products today have to strip their clothes and everything else, run into some forest and start living there without any contact with the rest of the world. That is the only way to actually and truly avoid using Chinese made products.

As for local manufacturing and self dependency, good luck with that. The only reason people have access to at least a few half decent things is because of the Chinese making it a possibility by driving down prices of everything and being a supplier of not just finished products, but of the raw materials/components as well.

In India, anything that is half decent enough to pass quality checks of another country will get exported without fail. Be it fruits and other produce, clothes or any other product. We will never be able to get access to it. Everything else that gets rejected by other countries is left in India to be sold at the highest prices possible. Personally, I would rather buy stuff from made by other countries that are at least found passable enough to be imported into our country than stuff that is made in India and rejected by the rest of the world.

If it were up to to local manufacturing to provide us with something like say phones, most people would not be able to afford a half decent smartphone today as they would be 10's of times costlier than they are. Just leaving aside the bogus claims of Make in India that just mostly involves the final assembly of products in India in order to claim tax benefits or other incentives, do we really even have what it takes to run complete manufacturing of products in India?

Then there is the question of business ethics and practices. The Chinese are said to have pretty low standards, but that means that they at least have a line some where regardless of how low it may be, which Indians apparently seem to completely lack. There is no line beyond which our people don't stoop. Just today, I was reading about how some Biryani businesses in Chennai are stealing cats from house holds which they proceed to boil alive and the meat used for their Biryani's (passing it as mutton). That shows a glimpse of what to expect when we are at the mercy of our local manufacturing.

On a different note, Its amusing that that on one side, there is large scale propaganda often appealing to "patriotism" of the people asking them to avoid buying or using Chinese stuff (especially during Diwali), but on the other side turn a blind eye to the buying of firecrackers ignoring the fact that the firecrackers and the black power that they contain are both Chinese inventions. Yeah, I guess it must be perfectly fine if we use our own child laborers to replicate this Chinese formula for fire crackers instead of buying the stuff made in china.

Last edited:
I hate to say this but Indian goods in lots of sectors (like woodworking, electrical components, clothes, automobiles, service etc) are no where near in quality compared to Chinese or other countries goods. Indians do not give any thought to quality or finesse wrt the products we make. We don't give importance to end user or to the material. Our lack luster attitude towards work shows up in the final product.

Back