How social media birthed a strange new phenomenon in India, the bhakts

What about tech 'bhakts' aka faboys aka only one true os/whatever and like the word 'best' implying everything else past & preset is 'worst' types :D

They exist in every walk of life & belief system. 8 out of ten are paper tigers. if you are aware of developments you can skewer them easily. But you need to keep up with developments. on properly moderated forums these guys don't stand a chance.

These idiots are what gives the BJP a bad name. they are what gets you called a bhakt if you defend the bjp at all.

of late i hear people complaining that it is the 'anonymity' of the internet that is the problem. the problem is these people need to grow a thick skin if they are going to be online. easy to troll also easy to block and delete whatever that appears on your page. done!

Last edited:
^^ Well, I would like to differentiate between the two. Internet trolls activity and bravado is usually limited to the internet. Some of them are actually intelligent and often troll online because they are bored and in some cases because they are attention whores and of course there are also trolls who are just demonstrating their stupidity and ignorance online.

Bhakts that are being referred to here are not an online only phenomena. They exist and behave in a similar manner offline as well, although they may not show the entire extent of their true colors offline to lack of anonymity. They are almost always ignorant and stupid even if they have an education (goes to show how bad our education format and system is). They think they are patriots and nationalists trying to defend Indian culture and to bring its so called "lost glory" back, but they don't even have basic school level knowledge of history. Usually they blame every thing on so called invaders of India (which in their mind is limited to the Moghuls and the Europeans).

They don't even have a clue how long our known history is or when Moguls or the Europeans came to India.

For instance one offline "bhakt" was showing off his knowledge during some discussion by telling everyone how the practice of Sati got into the Indian culture because Indian women wanted to protect themselves from being raped by Muslim invaders. The earliest strong evidence of sati dates back 3000 years and its actually supposed to be even older. He doesn't know that Islam is only 1400 years old and that Moguls came to India only 500 years back.

They just argue offline and online and while it may be categorized a kind of trolling, its usually different from your run of the mill online trolling. For, instance, when these actors criticized Modi's "selfie with daughter" campaign saying that its really nothing more than PR campaign and does nothing for the plight of women in India, these people prove their point by sending them rape threats.

They're not trolling they just parroting out rhetoric. if you happen to know what they're talking about the discussion will be over soon :)

I live in a small town and I see lot of them. Internet or social media has nothing to do with them, blame our education system for that. Social media just gives them a platform to do their thing anonymously and meet people of their own kind.

Chetan Bhagat telling others that their english is poor :). Though I do agree on internet trolls, Chetan Bhagat seems to have written an entirely ignorant piece of article.
1. " They are almost all male. " How do you identify an anonymous internet user as male or female?
2. "Not good at talking to women" Again, how do you find that someone is sexually frustrated? Yes if you observe patterns in communication maybe you can but that seems too far fetched a thought in case of Chetan Bhagat.
3. "Over-riding shame about being Hindu " I wonder why should we be ashamed of being a Hindu. I was born Hindu, am currently in between agnostic and atheist but I do not get the point. This is something that the left is a little proud to demonstrate but I do not see any reason about being ashamed. Of course I am unhappy at the current state of affairs and see a million ways to improve which is always a continuous process.

Just my 2 cents.

^^ So what kind of people in your opinion would threaten women with rape and other sexual violence because these women dared to be critical of their idol Modi.

then it is they that are more threatened than any woman.

Remember malala. she scared guys with guns. Not even a woman, just a teenager.

^^ So what kind of people in your opinion would threaten women with rape and other sexual violence because these women dared to be critical of their idol Modi.

the problem being the abuse of the so called "bhakts" make it to the headlines and that of a so called liberal is ignored.

http://www.dnaindia.com/india/comment-the-psyche-and-the-power-of-a-smart-troll-2104891
Last Sunday was a busy one. On Twitter, at least. The sudden surge in activity on an otherwise lazy Twitter day, was all about the anatomy of Internet trolls – an article by novelist Chetan Bhagat. A few weeks before this, a senior celebrity journalist, a favourite of Internet Trolls, had also written an article on the same subject. In the last few months, or should we say since the advent of a brand called NaMo, the discussion on trolls has moved from private conversations to mainstream media. And of course, on social media, it’s omnipresent.

It kept me wondering, why are we fighting for such an inane issue when India has much bigger challenges? A little research gave me some insight into the minds of trolls and those who claim to be trolled.

First, who is a troll? I asked this on Twitter and received hundreds of replies. Here are a few, in no particular order:

- A user with fewer followers, who persists on giving unsolicited, contrarian views to a user with more followers.
- Has come to mean a cheap abuse in India. Genuine Internet trolls however are very knowledgeable and cool people.
- Any speech from anyone I dislike.
- TROLL = watchdog.
- Showing a mirror and embarrassing them with facts and figures is trolling.
- Anyone who talks sense that is nonsense to others is a troll
- Everybody is somebody else's troll.
- For a left liberal, whoever calls his/her bluff is a troll
- A Hindu who questions the facts? A Hindu who doesn’t let them spin facts? A Hindu who is equipped with facts and exposes their hypocrisy.
- If you disagree with me, or lose a debate, you are trolling.
- Begaani shaadi mein abdullah deewana :)

There are mostly two kinds of trolls. One - abusive, frustrated trolls whose idea is just to insult you. They do it in their colleges, at the bus-stop, at local paan-shops or on social media. They go after film stars, they go after girls, they go after anyone who is celebrated. They suffer from an identity crisis or are victims of schadenfreude. I am constantly trolled, abused by them. I believe they are not even trolls, they are losers. The best way to deal with them is to ignore them. If they get worse, block them or report them. But I want to talk about the other kind of trolls. The ones that journalists, columnists and politicians constantly complain about - the Smart Trolls.

The Smart Trolls go after journalists, media handles, opinion-leaders, influencers, politicians, novelists, socio-political commentators and so on. A common thread is that their victims are from the media and politics background and belong to the elite class. Out there, it’s not just trolling…it’s war. A war between the haves and the have-nots. Between citizens who are entitled and those who are deprived. It’s about who will decide the narrative. It’s identity politics originating from hundreds of years of a strategic class divide.

Kings used to have courts for the intelligentsia, artists, academicians and scholars, because a King surrounded by peasants didn’t look good. The condition for entry into this club was singing the King’s praises. This gave them position, power and protection, which in return gave them influence, money and women. Exploitation was their way of trolling. They trolled the underprivileged. They trolled dalits. They trolled people who didn’t agree with them. They trolled those who were a threat to their incompetence. They trolled women. And they could do all this as they had the King’s protection.

India was divided between the King’s men (elite class) and the masses. The masses lived in fear of the elites and had no idea what was going on inside the court. Sometimes, someone came out and made announcements. No one questioned it. It was a one-way street of knowledge and information. The King was 'great’ because the elites said so. The elites influenced the psyche of the masses because they had information.

Then the British arrived and they had clubs too. Dogs and Browns were not allowed unless one happened to be competent to serve tea or ready to wag one's tail. The same families who had been in the King's courts, joined the club. The divide between the elites and masses continued.

When the British left India, these clubs were taken over by the ruling Congress.

Very strangely, the intelligentsia, academia and media that was supposed to educate, enlighten, inspire, empower and therefore, bridge the gap, didn’t do any such thing. India was further divided between people with information and people without information. Like in Arvind Adiga’s novel The White Tiger, where he talks about Dark India and Lit India. Dark India believed in the printed word. It believed in pictures. In Film Divison’s documentaries. News was news. Its trustworthiness was never questioned. People believed that one joins this thankless, poorly paying profession of journalism for integrity and service to the society. The image was of a khadi-clad, jhola type person in Bata chappals. It didn’t change until the advent of modern TV journalism.

This was when the agendas behind news and opinions, the motives behind alignments and advocacies started becoming apparent. Thus was revealed a nexus between politicians, media, industrialists and the ‘mutual-benefits’ club. Post liberalisation, the media became big business. Yes, business. Journalists became entrepreneurs and in the process, industry leaders. Some, became extremely wealthy, with free access to the corridors of real power. This was a paradigm shift for Dark India.

The nexus was flourishing until the advent of Social Media. Twitter, specifically. It became a powerful tool for citizen journalism. This empowered Dark India. They got information and a platform to share information. The young generation didn’t just stop at reading the news. They started researching it, only to find that very often, the original news wasn’t based on genuine facts. It was an interpretation of news and in most cases, just the opinion of the reporter, based on his political or commercial alignment. They realised that in Elite India, the buck never stopped anywhere. So Dark India questioned things on Twitter. They exposed media spins. They figured out hit-jobs and revealed them. The dirty games became visible. They simplified the complex web of half-truths and white lies. Twitter became an equal platform for the unequal.

This Dark India, consisting of educated and empowered youth, with access to modern technology and global awareness, formed a virtual country with their own constitution, where you can’t spin news, distort or misquote. Like Lit India didn’t let them enter the elite clubs for years, they are not letting you enter this virtual world with your lies. With your elitism. With your hypocrisy.

They are aware, alert and quick. Minutes after the article on the anatomy of trolls started being discussed, these "Hindi-speaking, Hindu trolls" dug up the author’s timeline and shared his old tweets which ironically sounded like a Hinglish speaking, sexually frustrated troll. Thus, exposing the hypocrisy and winning a mini-battle. One must know that the major weapon with these trolls is ‘digital footprint’. They take screenshots, they catalogue every tweet and statement which helps them expose opportunism, agenda and hypocrisy. They read policy reports, analyse raw data and don’t let generalised, prejudiced theories flourish, like old times.

As I write this, a leading newspaper misquoted the BJP president’s speech. A senior journalist tweeted it with a taunt, without checking facts. Some of the Bhakts immediately got into action and dug up the original speech. By noon, the senior journalist had to take back his words with an apology.There are hundreds, maybe thousands of instances like this where these trolls have maintained checks and balances. Now that’s the power of Twitter. That’s the power of these Smart Trolls. Do not generalise and mix them up with abusive trolls. Simply put, do not underestimate them.

Someone once told me ‘They aren’t trolls. They are the R&D of social media’. They are doing what journalists are supposed to do. Most of them have humour, sarcasm, style and passion for finding the truth. They are the real watchdogs. They won’t let you spin, distort and misquote. They question your reports, your research, your analyses, your stands, your status and your integrity. They call a spade a spade. You call them Internet Hindus, they call you Adarsh Liberals. You call them Bhakts, they call you Libtards. You call them Sanghis, they call you AAPtards. This new, emerging, virtual India is not taking it lying down like their ancestors did. They aren’t guilty about their Hindu tilak. They aren’t embarrassed about their language or their identity. And they are here to stay. Learn to deal with them or quit Twitter.

PS: To assume they are all Hindi speaking is like assuming all MBAs are literary dumbos. To assume they are sexually frustrated is like assuming all pulp-fiction writers are part of a non-stop orgy. To assume they are all Hindus (meaning orthodox, fanatic) is like assuming all self-professed seculars are actually secular.

^^ Why do you think its ignored? None of Chetan Bhagat's history of drivel is ignored. Even the article you posted shows that. The fact that he is hounded on-line is itself proof of that.

Chetan's drivel does not in anyway excuse the behaviour of bhakts.

As I said before, bhakts are more than just internet trolls. There are internet trolls who are smart, but bhakts are never smart and never rational in their arguments.

These are people who religiously defend culture, faith, political ideology, political leaders, sportsmen or movie stars and will go to any length and stoop to any low. Religiousness is the opposite of rationality. A person who firmly believes and defends something will defend it using rational arguments. A person who religiously defends something has no use for knowledge or rationality. They will resort to rape and death threats if they don't have any rational argument and might even act of them if they get a chance.

Haven't come across those who blindly defend the culture but have come across those trolls who do expose the hypocrisy of those experts on social media.
Also with the so called liberal gangs on the social media, it generally starts with an abuse to invite hateful replies.
When the liberals abuse it's called having an opinion in a democracy.
When they get an opinion on them by others they cry victim.

During that "Sharapova doesn't know Sachin" time, I had great difficulty to convince one of those, it's okay to not know Sachin.

ps: I refer them as e-Patriots. :)

Haven't come across those who blindly defend the culture but have come across those trolls who do expose the hypocrisy of those experts on social media.
Also with the so called liberal gangs on the social media, it generally starts with an abuse to invite hateful replies.
Everyone who doesnt agree with you is a "liberal", "khangressi", "presstitute", "naxal" or "pakistani".
I will take those liberals anyday over blind bhakts blinded by propoganda.

Everyone who doesnt agree with you is a "liberal", "khangressi", "presstitute", "naxal" or "pakistani".
I will take those liberals anyday over blind bhakts blinded by propoganda.
uploadfromtaptalk1437227616142.png
uploadfromtaptalk1437227628335.png

Ok

https://twitter.com/ArvindKejriwal/status/514757257079177216
cjr-kv0ukaap39a-png.58558

with regard to the bhakts calling them presstitues

CKG7G4BUYAA4bPz.jpg

CKG7GmpVAAAsHHO.jpg

CKHtTuxUsAAwdML.jpg

Attachments

• CJr-kV0UkAAP39a.png
    CJr-kV0UkAAP39a.png
    139.8 KB · Views: 599
Last edited:
but have come across those trolls who do expose the hypocrisy of those experts on social media.

It is curious that you would categorize people who expose hypocrisy as trolls? If they are consistently exposing hypocrisy without being biased about it and without being hypocrites themselves, why would they be trolls, let alone bhakts?

What is your definition of liberals? How do you distinguish them from people who are just honestly open minded? From what I could see from your posts, you are talking about liberals in the political sense who are often nothing more than a category of bhakts which makes all your arguments invalid because what you are finally saying that one category of bhakts is better than another because they are more hateful. But then again, you are also trying to group anybody who is open minded into the category of liberals. There is nothing political about being open minded.

Modi's "selfie with daughter" PR stunt was absurd and nothing more than a cheap gimmick for some brownie points. The way women are treated and the discrimination and crime against women in this country is proof of the seriousness of the problem and instead of thinking up some serious solutions to improve the situation, PR campaigns like this are made up which ultimately serve as a mockery of the whole situation and make light of it. When two women are critical about this, Modi bhakts pounce on them with rape and death threats proving their point. Are you really saying that a couple of women were justified in getting rape threats because they called BS on the this absurd campaign

Modi's "selfie with daughter" PR stunt was absurd and nothing more than a cheap gimmick for some brownie points. The way women are treated and the discrimination and crime against women in this country is proof of the seriousness of the problem and instead of thinking up some serious solutions to improve the situation, PR campaigns like this are made up which ultimately serve as a mockery of the whole situation and make light of it. When two women are critical about this, Modi bhakts pounce on them with rape and death threats proving their point. Are you really saying that a couple of women were justified in getting rape threats because they called BS on the this absurd campaign
Had the same argument on facebook. Bhakts came along with "why do you ahve a problem if someone is building a positive atmosphere? Im like biatch if he actually did something along with that positive atmosphere i'd be glad. But its just a PR stunt. How will selfies stop female infanticide or rapes or whatever? Most of them just give rationale to protect their supreme leader. They are never looking for the best solution or the right solution, they are only looking for ways to contradict you and protect their Führer. Doesn't matter if Rahu Ram said something correct, what matters for them is that 5 years ago he abused someone. BC full-on retards each of them are.

Don't even realize that they are a national joke and people laugh at them openly. They think they can abuse from behind a pc screen and people will feel bad. lol

Back