How to access Science Journal articles?

baccilus

Skilled
I am a researcher and often need to access science journals. But unfortunately my institute has not bought any kind of subscription to them. Example:

SpringerLink - Journal of Molecular Medicine, Volume 78, Number 7

Intron 4 polymorphism of the endothelial nitric oxide synthase eNOS gene and early microangiopathy in type 1 diabetes - Mamoulakis - 2009 - International Journal of Immunogenetics - Wiley Online Library

Any one in research will understand the importance of accessing these research articles. Is there any way to gain un restricted access to these articles? Earlier we had a Hinari password which has now been blocked. The purchase price of these articles and subscription is insanely high. For writing a review close to a 100 articles are often needed which is just impossible to buy.

Is there any way by which I can show myself to be present in some big university where these articles are accessible and be able to download them?

:( Unless you have some friends from bigger universities who are willing to share their institutional credentials, I think there is nothing much you can do about it. I've been in a similar situation many times; the only way I could get hold of articles is by getting them photocopied from an institutional library that does subscribe to them. I've travelled to many places including Mumbai and Delhi in my PG days just to visit institutes with good libraries and get those articles.

PGI chandigarh (assumig you are in chandigarh) has a subscription to online journals, you can visit their library and access through their computer facility and if someone is generous enough you may get the login details as well...

HINARI access is often misused, so they frequently block the access..

NML site has subscription to online journals, but limited content..its free for anyone

sent you PM...it might help

When I needed some papers from journals that my uni did not subscribe to, I mailed the authors of the papers directly. In quite a few cases, they did get back to me with a pdf version of the paper. Just let the authors know what you are working on and how their paper might relate to yours.

There is the possibility that they will get back to you and say 'sorry, I cannot send it to you', but what have you got to lose?

@Titana: Thanks a lot for that PM. I am working at PGI only but unfortunately they have access to very few journals here and those too are rarely of any use to me.

@whatsinaname: That method works pretty well too but I have seen lately that many times the authors email ID isn't even mentioned. That becomes a dead end. Moreover, it takes them some time to get back to you. I usually mention how poor I am.

@Logistopath: The photocopy method is really really tedious. It has never worked for me to be honest.

I have heard some people access these journals by using VPN or something. How does that work?

^ well my college has subscription to springer but i dont remember logging in. It recognizes the institute IP which is static and says proceed as NITC and not all journals open up from hostel, digital library has the complete access

My research institute (in Europe) has access to most of the papers. The access to the journals requires an IP address from an institute which has subscribed to the journals.

My friend in India, who does not have access to many journals, has my VPN user id and password. So he just connects to the vpn server from india and all his internet activity is redirected through our server, which means that he can access all the journals through my institutional IP address.

I also use VPN from home or when I am travelling for conferences and need access to papers.

If you can find someone abroad who can give you his/her vpn credentials, then all you have to do is download a small vpn client (provided by the institute) and you can access all the journals plus all other resources and goodies (like scifinder, reaxys, etc..) from home.

If you need some important papers, then you can pm me and I will try to get them for you. However, I work in chemistry, so I don't know the extent of availability of bio related journals in our institute.

Btw, here are the two articles that you mentioned in the first post:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15186857/polymorphism.pdf

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15186857/J mol med.pdf

Back