How to buy a Notebook?

Noooo...

A friend's machine has been lying at my place for the last 1 week or so...have been playing arnd with it....

Nice config, T7200 +7900GS+2GB and For the size . it is decently light...but it is way too bulky sizewise to be called a laptop :(

@ Superczar from where did your friend get the laptop you mentioned and for how much, my friend is looking to buy a lappy with similar specs, 256MB GFx and 2 gigs ram

He got it from the US....It is however avalable on the India site too...

though if i were you, i'd ask my friend not to buy that behemoth :p

Great guide Superczar :)

You can add a few more about RAM.

512MB has become the norm nowadays, but more important is to get a single stick of 512MB rather than 2 * 256MB. The reason is that if at all one is going to upgrade he can go for another 512 in the future and use the vacant slot. But if he has 2 * 256MB then these 256MB sticks will not have good resell value and he has to spend those extra bucks too.

So buying single stick 512MB would be the best bet.

In the last few months, from what I have heard and seen from my frinds and colleagues, I would unequivocally pronounce Dell to be THE company to buy laptops in India from....

Sample this:

- A collegaue who bought a Dell 640m last month noticed that the "K" key was slightly sticky...So he called up their suport number, and though they made him go through the usual painful process of "Have you checked the drivers" " have you run the diagnostics" crap....

The very next day, they sent across a Service engineer ti his home with a new keyboard replacement

- A friend had bought a XPS 1210 3-4 months ago...After a couple of months, he noticed taht the display flickers for a second or two whenever he opens up the lid after closing it with the system running.

He called up their support number, and as expected, he was put through the usual Dell support crap for 30 mins..Have you checked the drivers/run the diagnostics stuff...

Eventually, they sent a service engineer who diagnosed it to be a hardware issue, and told him he'll raise a replacement request.The next day, he got a call from Dell suport telling him he would be receiving a new system within two weeks. He could keep the existing system in the meanwhile and retyurn it to the delivery guy who will come to deliver the replacement.

Now here comes the best part ->

He was also told that since Dell does not have XPSsystems with XP anymore, the new system would come with Vista pre-installed...So my friend said that he would like to go for a 2 GB upgrade in that case as his current system (1GB) gets strapped for memory with XP, and asked him the cost of a 1GB -> 2 GB upgrade....

Dell threw that in for free :D without him asking for it

I know that Dell US has been doing this for a while now, but this is the first time I have seen a company in India doing this....

Compare that to the crap service that the other manufacturers provide (esp. Sony) and I do not see any reason why one should choose anything but Dell!

Oh, jut to add

- MY XPS had a minor humming problem while running on AC..It was really minor, and with any other system, I would not have bothered since it would mean taking the machine to the service center, leaving it there for a week or so and then go back and collect it...

Anyway, since this was a Dell, I called up the service number, and after patiently sitting through the 30 minute diagnosis routine (Driver check, diagnostic check etc), the guy took it down as a hardware problem, and sent across a service engineer the next monday....They replaced the mobo, and whuile they were at it, i also got the keyboard replaced :D

I know that Dell US has been doing this for a while now, but this is the first time I have seen a company in India doing this....

Compare that to the crap service that the other manufacturers provide (esp. Sony) and I do not see any reason why one should choose anything but Dell!

HI,I have some queries regarding the brand for Notebook,when i picked My own desktop i went for COmpaq.. so is there any preferable barand matters or all form factor does matters like screeen size etc..???
My question are
1.wud all specifications i need bundled in one brand ?
2. Wich brand is more reliable

Tnnx in advance.

:clap: wow...thanx 4 the info....
I want 2 buy a laptop soon.... Was considering SONY but i guess its in news.....4 its battery....so ve changed my mind into something else. Can u suggest me nything.....which also has a gud service provider.

Back