Camera how to clean camera lens

AK3D said:
Use a microfibre cloth. Blow gently on the lens first and then very lightly, clean the lens.

+1..... Best way to clean a lens.... Don't use anything else... no liquid, nothing... I've used this method to clean my digi cam's lens numerous times without scratching....

The BEST thing to use to clean a Camera Lens is Chamois Leather, the material must be kept extremely clean as any dust particles on it will make it act like sandpaper !! Chamois leather is very soft and you get these at Opticians, I got mine from a shop selling leather bags. Kodak Lens Tissue is often recommended but my experience has been that this is of very little use in removing finger prints. You can also in an emergency use a very clean OLD handkerchief, blow on the lens and clean it immediately.

I am not sure if Microfibre cloth is OK for use on Lenses. Please do a Google search and confirm this or ask in a Photgraphy Forum.

I have a friend who was a Camera Service guy for Nikon and Pentax and Olympus, he has been trained at all their factories in Japan and I have seen him use Isopropyl Alcohol on Lenses :) This guy used a soft lint free cloth to clean the Lens with this solution and then gave them a final wipe with a dry Chamois Leather.

One of his secrets - to remove and kill fungus from lenses wipe them with hydrogen peroxide and a clean cloth.

lavinachtani said:
Are you a professional photographer?

I ran a Pro E6 Film Process Lab for 16 years, and I had many of the big Pro Photographers as my clients. I did a little bit of pro photography too, not much though.

Eazy said:
I am not sure if Microfibre cloth is OK for use on Lenses. Please do a Google search and confirm this or ask in a Photgraphy Forum.

I have a friend who was a Camera Service guy for Nikon and Pentax and Olympus, he has been trained at all their factories in Japan and I have seen him use Isopropyl Alcohol on Lenses :) This guy used a soft lint free cloth to clean the Lens with this solution and then gave them a final wipe with a dry Chamois Leather.

One of his secrets - to remove and kill fungus from lenses wipe them with hydrogen peroxide and a clean cloth.

Isopropyl shouldn't be used, actually (if its the rubbing alcohol variety). It will leave a residue.

Here're some useful links

It's Lens Cleaning Time - Photo Tips @ Earthbound Light

To safely and easily remove most smudges, simply use your breath. Breathe hard on the lens surface to fog it and wipe with a clean microfiber cloth. Be sure to wipe, not rub.

Microfiber camera lens cleaning cloth

Many photographers consider a microfiber cloth to be superior for cleaning digital camera lenses and other delicate surfaces such as the LCD. Microfiber cloths are chemical-free and lift dust and oil from a lens. They are anti-static, non-scratcing and will not streak or smear the surface.

Digital Photography Blogs The Archives Weekend Project: How to Clean Your Camera

Even Zeiss recommend their cleaning kit (with microfibre cloth) for lenses.

As Eazy and others have suggested, first of all remove dust and other particles before cleaning. You can use a small and cheap blower available in any photo store, from where you will also get chamois leather. However, I don't have any personal experience with microfibre cloth. (Have just asked KMD to ship one with my other purchases)

3M has microfiber cloth i am using it rs 35. Apart from that i also purchased 3 step cleaning kit good quality for 300 rs. It contains rocket blower, ultra fine tissue, liquid, brush. The quality of the liquid is really good.

PS: Avoid cleaning the lens too often unless you have heavy finger prints. Dusts never show up in the photograph. so use soft brush if it bothers you. Avoid touching the lens it will spoil the coating

Back