How to courier mobile phones within India?

Aman27deep

Skilled
This is a big problem which I'm facing at this point.

All the courier companies except BlueDart have declined to courier mobile phones (claiming that it has been banned), and even BlueDart is charging an arm and a leg (3.2k with insurance) for couriering a phone, plus so many formalities.

On top of that BlueDart are saying that they will remove the battery from the phone, which in case of sealed phones (such as Motorola Atrix HD, Sony Xperia Z, HTC one) isn't even possible, which means you can't courier the phone.

So, how is it being done by so many all over India? What trick am I missing?

I always used DTDC Plus for shipping phones in past and they don't charge that much, 200-300 bucks depending on location. I don't know if shipping phones are banned now but why ?

You can always use speedpost in the worst case scenario as they don't ask what's inside the package and all.

I always use ems speedpost. Just make sure you pack the phone perfectly with enough bubble wrap and thermocole. When asked tell them it's a leather or plastic gift item. Before taking it to the post office get one of those green envelope bags and write the address and wrap with cellotape so they won't ask you to remove it to verify. Their charges are cheap too.

They are not banned. But can't say the same for the respective courier companies. A couple of months ago I had to ship a phone and went to my regular courier guys from FF. They refused to accept the shipment and pointed me towards a notice, supposedly issued from their higher-ups, to not accept shipments consisting of phones, jewelry and a couple of other items that I can't recollect now. They instead directed me to BD, who did accept it. Since my shipment had only 200 KM or so to travel, I was charged 350 bucks. However, they did ask me to remove the battery and write on a form provided by them details of all the items I had packed into the box.

Just go to bluedart, tell them it's a book/anything non electronic u can think of. Value any where between 0-4999,because over 5k,prices are higher.

Simple if 500 grams then 310,if 1kg or lesser then 475 ot such... Extra for remote areas.

The thing is, in CAlcutta, if you don't pack the item in front of them, they are refusing to ship the item. So lying about what's inside is not an option.

@above,but did you try this at your postoffice. Those ppl normally don't bother to check.

I did indeed. Went to the GPO, and they said they'll send it although they'll have to remove the battery, and as I said, on sealed phones it's not possible. So therefore they didn't take it.

This is really sad, the bluedart centre in manipal allows me to send phones, they know that it's a phone and they allow me to declare price as 2000 and item description as anything I want!

Indiapost and DTDC don't ask many questions either ...

You should have never told anyone it's a phone...

So far whichever blue dart outlets i tried, they have always asked me to show the contents...even they had big notices in their outlet walls, requesting please show the contents before shipping... So telling it is books or bricks, does not help.

Same here. I have used DTDC and Overnite Couriers without any issues. I make sure to write a declaration of what I am sending and insure the shipment.

@OP - I am assuming this is regarding the Xperia Z you sold to Imrahn. Try and ask him if he can arrange a pickup if all else fails.

I did indeed. Went to the GPO, and they said they'll send it although they'll have to remove the battery, and as I said, on sealed phones it's not possible. So therefore they didn't take it.

well, i have shipped quite a few phones. The courier companies dont want to bother about shipping mobile phones from individual customers as they think it is too muhc of hassle. If you run a business and can assure them 10 package a day, they wont even ask what is inside.

I as a individual have used two courier companies in Kolkata to ship phones.
1. Aramex @ Chinar park.
2. DTDC Bhavan @ teghoria (Here as long as you are ready to pay up for the DTDC Plus service which will cost around 200, they will ship any phone. Ofcourse you have to give a declaration and all)

If you are in Salt Lake Sec-V or around, can give you a contact number of a guy who will do pickup and get the item shipped via dtdc as long as you are shipping to a metro city.

Blue dart if you walkin to a outlet, they will quote outrageous prices, but if you go through people who do pickups from offices for bluedart, it wont be much of trouble.

AFAIK, TNT will also accept phones.

Same here, sent one via dtdc last year.. no problems they just asked what it the item. and thats all

I was told the rules have 'changed' in the past 2-3 months.

well, i have shipped quite a few phones. The courier companies dont want to bother about shipping mobile phones from individual customers as they think it is too muhc of hassle. If you run a business and can assure them 10 package a day, they wont even ask what is inside.

I as a individual have used two courier companies in Kolkata to ship phones.
1. Aramex @ Chinar park.
2. DTDC Bhavan @ teghoria (Here as long as you are ready to pay up for the DTDC Plus service which will cost around 200, they will ship any phone. Ofcourse you have to give a declaration and all)

If you are in Salt Lake Sec-V or around, can give you a contact number of a guy who will do pickup and get the item shipped via dtdc as long as you are shipping to a metro city.

Blue dart if you walkin to a outlet, they will quote outrageous prices, but if you go through people who do pickups from offices for bluedart, it wont be much of trouble.

AFAIK, TNT will also accept phones.

Aramex, and TNT both had said that they will not deliver to Kollam, Kerela. I had a talk with them.

DTDC, and First Flight totally refused me straightright.

And, as I said, BlueDart said 3.2k with Insurance.

And I am from new market area, salt lake is far far away! Anyways, my deal is off. I'll continue to use my phone, and buy some computer parts.

Register as a seller on eBay and enable PowerShip. List the mobile phone and ask the buyer to purchase it with some coupon. eBay charges will be about 6.2% which will be covered by the coupon in most cases. Shipping cost will be just Rs 50 through Fedex / BlueDart with free home pickup. :p

Any idea if they'd ship anywhere near Kollam so the buyer can go and collect it from that location? That would be a bit too far fetched but Blue Dart's 3k quote is downright ridiculous!

Register as a seller on eBay and enable PowerShip. List the mobile phone and ask the buyer to purchase it with some coupon. eBay charges will be about 6.2% which will be covered by the coupon in most cases. Shipping cost will be just Rs 50 through Fedex / BlueDart with free home pickup. :p
He needs to send a package now mate...

This process takes 15-30 days...

Though I was charged 600 for a shipment weighing 1kg,volumetric weight they say.

Outrageous.

3.2k quote includes insurance and value is declared over 5k.

Back