How to do this , please help.

Hi guys,
I need some help from you all. Am not sure if this comes under hardcore programming or some basic thing.
I have a document which I want to convert into a sort of template or blueprint which I can fill and print. I would explain it with an example:
1. Consider writing down quotations for PC. There will be a general template where in it is written processor, motherboard, etc. All you need to do is fill is the details.
2. Consider you are a doctor, everything including your degree qualifications and your contact number will remain same but only the medicines you prescribe.

I dont want to do something like make a blueprint in word and then every time save it using save as and if by mistake you directly save. You have to edit it and stuff, Its a big headache.
Initially I just want to just fill in the blanks. But later on if possible and I gain the knowledge to do so, be able to add drop down lists and smart guessing of regularly used standards or regular contacts. That is far fetched I know but at the moment please help me make this template.

I am not sure if I could explain what I meant or wanted. If there is some confusion please ask me, I need your help.

Thanks.

In Word, you can create a template file. (.dotx/.dot extension). When you open that and fill it and then try to save it, it doesn't overwrite the original template. I also believe you can have auto-completion and drop downs in a template (though you will have to investigate further).

While using save as, one of the options you will see is 'Word Template'. Try that out.

In Word, you can create a template file. (.dotx/.dot extension). When you open that and fill it and then try to save it, it doesn't overwrite the original template. I also believe you can have auto-completion and drop downs in a template (though you will have to investigate further).

While using save as, one of the options you will see is 'Word Template'. Try that out.

Thanks for the reply. What irritates while using word every time I have to use the mouse to click to the next field. What I want is when I type something and press enter, it should immediately take input in the next field. I guess that is what you meant by auto completion.

You can make a MS report or Crystal report in a particular format, than make a Win-form to fill all required fields. After can print it.

Like what rakesh_sharma2003 said...just download VS 2012 Express IDE, SQL Server 2012 Express, SQL Server Management Studio(later move onto SSDT) and Reportbuilder 3.0...

Then develop
1) A Desktop WPF Application
2) A Database with one table
3) Integrate the WinForms ReportViewer Control in your Desktop WPF Project by referencing the correct assemblies(System.Windows.Forms,System.Windows.Forms.Integration, Microsoft.ReportViewer.WinForms) from the Global Assembly Cache
4) Create the necessary windows; one for input and another to display/export the document/report

and you should be done

Like what rakesh_sharma2003 said...just download VS 2012 Express IDE, SQL Server 2012 Express, SQL Server Management Studio(later move onto SSDT) and Reportbuilder 3.0...

Then develop
1) A Desktop WPF Application
2) A Database with one table
3) Integrate the WinForms ReportViewer Control in your Desktop WPF Project by referencing the correct assemblies(System.Windows.Forms,System.Windows.Forms.Integration, Microsoft.ReportViewer.WinForms) from the Global Assembly Cache
4) Create the necessary windows; one for input and another to display/export the document/report

and you should be done

Thanks for the reply,
sorry am replying late.

Well am no programmer brother, it all sounds a bit too complex to me :O

Back