How to import used mobile phones from abroad

Status
Not open for further replies.

surinder1508

Disciple
Guys some one please guide me through the whole process of importing used mobile phones from abroad starting from online bidding on ebay, paying the seller, importing the phone, clearing it from airport, unlocking the phone.

Guide to purchase from ebay.com :

1. make an account with a shipping forwarder like shopandship.com . they will give you a US and UK address of their warehouse that you can use as your delivery address.

2. make a paypal a/c with your indian credit card.

3. you must have an indian ebay a/c, preferably with a few positive feedbacks (they are not mandatory, but they help)

4. add address in 1. to your indian ebay a/c and then you can start bidding/buying from ebay US (ie, ebay.com)

5. buy only new items from won auctions or direct buys, pay from paypal (your indian credit card will get debited) and give the address in 1. (ie, your US delivery address) on the checkout page.

6. Seller will ship to that address, shipping forwarder will receive it and ship it to your indian address for a fee. they will clear customs for you and you've to pay for shipping+customs+tax to the delivery boy.

6. Seller will ship to that address, shipping forwarder will receive it and ship it to your indian address for a fee. they will clear customs for you and you've to pay for shipping+customs+tax to the delivery boy.

This is the MOST IMPORTANT step as you have to pay shipping+customs+tax, which may happen that you might be getting that phone cheaper in India instead of buying from USA. No doubt electronics are cheaper in USA but these shipping+customs+tax are really really costly. Can anyone tell what is the shipping+customs+tax for importing a Samsung Galaxy S II locked phone to India ? Even I have asked S-n-S for a digicam and I thought its better to buy in India because after adding the shipping+customs+tax to my buying price, the Indian price was cheaper :)

^^ Exactly my thoughts. Not only that, there is a thread in General talk section where the buyer did not recieve any phone (Just box) at all during deliver process. It is just too risky considering how expensive these phones are. They are just waiting to be stolen.

Thread: http://www.techenclave.com/general-talk/please-help-bought-photon-ebay-com-199129.html

It is very risky to import from US. Why take risk? You also lose warranty and service.

Can anyone tell what is the shipping+customs+tax for importing a Samsung Galaxy S II locked phone to India ?

The price of SGS II variants from T-Mobile/ATT/Sprint will cost you $199.99 with 2 year contract and $549.99 without contract. Regardless of buying with or without contract, the phone is locked to a Network. Since they are just coming out you can expect them to price it around $400-$500 for a new one in ebay. Considering all the extra cost, it is worth it to just step into Sammy showroom and buy it rather than buying it from the States.

sasa110 said:
Guide to purchase from ebay.com :

1. make an account with a shipping forwarder like shopandship.com . they will give you a US and UK address of their warehouse that you can use as your delivery address.

2. make a paypal a/c with your indian credit card.

3. you must have an indian ebay a/c, preferably with a few positive feedbacks (they are not mandatory, but they help)

4. add address in 1. to your indian ebay a/c and then you can start bidding/buying from ebay US (ie, ebay.com)

5. buy only new items from won auctions or direct buys, pay from paypal (your indian credit card will get debited) and give the address in 1. (ie, your US delivery address) on the checkout page.

Why should we purchase only new phones spatially when used ones are available unlocked as well and may be eligible for escaping from costom+tax somehow.

surinder1508 said:
Why should we purchase only new phones spatially when used ones are available unlocked as well and may be eligible for escaping from costom+tax somehow.

used items are not allowed by customs - check Finance Ministry / Customs Department notifications. the penalty for importing used mobile is min fine of Rs 10000 *and* 6 months prison. The customs dept will threaten you and fleece 10k as a bribe if you are caught trying to import an old phone.

What do you mean eligible for escaping customs? if escaping customs is your motivation, then that is illegal - dont post on TE to discuss it - i suppose TE is against such things. and seriously, is the risk worth taking? for saving 30-40 dollars you want to put a huge fine and imprisonment on the line? it is seriously stupid to take such risk - buy new phones and live in peace.

I did fall in trouble over buying a used phone - but in another country - had to pay a huge bribe to get out of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back