CPU/Mobo How to increase the CPU Fan Speed?

montylee

Skilled
I have Intel Core 2 Duo E6300. My core temperatures are hovering near the 50 degree mark. I think it's because the CPU fan speed is only 1100 rpm.
I installed the latest BIOS from the Intel's website.

So, how can i increase the speed of the fans?

SpeedFan?

I think the stock fan is capable of around 3000 - 3500RPM.

My frnds P4 Stock fan used to do 5000-6000 RPM.. I was like :O..

First of all disable automatic fan control options in the BIOS. That should get the fan running at 2700 RPM.

Aditya said:
SpeedFan?
My frnds P4 Stock fan used to do 5000-6000 RPM.. I was like :O..

Yes, my old Athlon 3000+ Fan used to run at 5700 RPM, So when I got the C2D and saw the 2700 RPM, I thought the fan was defective. :rofl:

So, here's what i shd do:

1) Disable automatic fan control from BIOS.

2) Use Speedfan to control the fans.

Last time i ran speedfan, it showed that the sensors are in-compatible. I'll try the latest version of Speedfan now.

speedfan won't work on that board.

You just have two options - one is to live with the higher temperature. The second is to disable fan control and let the fan run full speed.

Or buy a better cooler that will keep the CPU at a lower temperature.

50 at idle is too high, even for the stock cooler. Sounds like a defective mounting, it's a pain to install that cooler. I had one look and put it away. I prefer a screwed-in mount to a screwed-up one, so I used my TT tower cooler, even if it doesn't totally cover the CPU die I get 54 full load with the fan at 1500rpm, and 42-43 load. I'll live with that.

oops my bad.

that 50 degrees is not idle temperature. Few days back, when winters were at its peak, my idle temperatures were between 30-40 degrees. Now, with winters dying a slow death, temps have started increasing. Now, the idle temps are around 45 degrees and load temps were around 50.

But i am sure as summers creep in slowly the temps will rise further. So, i want to insure adequate cooling in advance.

I'll try to disable automatic fan control and then see the results.

those are decent temps, IMO.

The reported temps are coretemps or very close to it, so up to about 55 degrees is just fine for Indian conditions.

are these temps for default speed or overclocked speed? if default, then these are not good....try to get a decent aftermarket cooler...problem with intel heatsink+fan is that the fan is too small....so its very inefficient in taking the heat away from the cpu

no overclocking for me so far... so these are normal temps...

I'll try the above mentioned steps 2night and update this thread.

OK, here's what i did. Booted the PC, CPU temps were around 38. Played UT for half an hour, saw the temps: 55 degrees. Fan speed: 1100 rpm only.

In the BIOS, i got the following:

Fan Control

Processor Zone Response Options: Aggressive, Normal, Slow

Processor Zone Response Options: High, Normal

Automatic Fan Detection Options: Next Boot, Disable, Always

I tried all combinations, but the fan speed is still 1100.

What shd i do now?

Plug it into a 3-pin header instead of a 4-pin header and see.

Fan detection set to Disable.

Response set to aggressive, Damping set to Normal.

Try now.

sangram said:
Plug it into a 3-pin header instead of a 4-pin header and see.

Fan detection set to Disable.

Response set to aggressive, Damping set to Normal.

Try now.

thanks sangram. BTW can u provide any links for the same as i am a noob with this.

Sorry, links for what? To know the settings? Even I'm guessing here dude, from the descriptions.

As for the 3-pin/4-pin, it is confirmed. I have a 3-pin fan that always ran at full speed when connected to the CPU fan header, which is a 4-pin, and the same fan is now spinning at half its speed when connected to a 3-pin connector.

This means the 4-pin headers use controllers on the fan by sending a control signal from the mobo, whereas the 3-pin use onboard PWMs to regulate the fans connected to those headers.

Fan detection basically means the mobo doesn't care what fans connected and should send out full voltage to their headers. If that doesn't work (it may not), you only have two options, one is to disable the quiet system technology by installing RAM in the channel B (black slots).

The second (if you want to control some fans and not others) is to directly connect the fan to the +12V of the power supply. You'll need either an adapter (pretty sure this is not readily available, but can be made) or cut the connector from the fan wire (voiding the processor/fan warranty) and plug it into a spare connector from the power supply.

yup i read this on the Intel's website. Donno what to do now.

I guess i'll give it a deep thought and then decide.

P.S: Reps for sangram for a nice explanation of the pin mythology :)

Lord Nemesis said:
First of all disable automatic fan control options in the BIOS. That should get the fan running at 2700 RPM.

Yes, my old Athlon 3000+ Fan used to run at 5700 RPM, So when I got the C2D and saw the 2700 RPM, I thought the fan was defective. :rofl:

Hey ... my fan is stuck at 2010 rpm max ... how does ur get to 2700 ??? I don't have temp. problems .. but 2700 would really be good .. ??

If you connect a 4 pin fan to a 3 pin header the fans RPM will drop to a low level - if you want to make the 4 wire fan run at full speed on a 3 pin header you have to short the 4th wire with the + wire like so.... got this from the coolermaster forums...

Did anyone actually get this thing working for the stock C2D cooler ?? I saw the fan going past 2600 rpms (particularly with my mobo going past 35c) .. and would really want to run the fan at those speeds all the time :D ..

Back