How to inculcate habit of reading ?

I used to be a great reader when there were better books spread around.Suddenly i think good literature has taken a nose dive and these days getting across few pages is tard.

This way,tell me how can one be voracious reader even amongst mediocre literature ?

How do i force myself to read even if its an effort,not always well spend ?:hap5:

1.)lock yourself in a room (not having any windows would help) with nothing in it just a chair and those books :p

2.) find a girl who loves a learned man (also see all these hot chicks throwing themselves on baldies like Salman Rushdie) also girls love it when ya talk books with them...it might prove to be a good motivator ;)

hope it helps

Read classic literature... no one is forcing you to read the new crap.

TBH , i find it sad to see that the habit of reading is surely dying... I know it for a fact that i am the only 20 yr old in my college who has read Baudelaire , Poe and other classics... I'm pretty sure that 99% of the rest haven't even heard of them and i feel they are losing out on a lot of culture etc...

dhruvrock2000 said:
Read classic literature... no one is forcing you to read the new crap.
Exactly, stick to good books, why bother with less.

You get the impression that OP has already read every good book there is :|

freshseasons1 said:
I used to be a great reader when there were better books spread around.Suddenly i think good literature has taken a nose dive and these days getting across few pages is tard.

This way,tell me how can one be voracious reader even amongst mediocre literature ?

How do i force myself to read even if its an effort,not always well spend ?:hap5:

What all you used to read before...? What all you tried and put it down cause it was not up to the mark..?

I've never understood why people think reading a book is better than watching tv or playing a game on the computer.

chiron said:
I've never understood why people think reading a book is better than watching tv or playing a game on the computer.
Hah! Bang on there. I have never read my English text books during schooling let alone some Harry Potter novels. I tried reading the first few pages of Dan Brown's books but never got past the 3 rd page. I don't know - I never inculcated this habit within me and I quite don't blame anyone for that. I guess I spend more time with travelling, music, movies, gadgetry, electronics, technology and playing games. :p

^Reading is a hobby, just like any other. Only thing different here is that you are getting to put your mind at work. Our brain is fantastic when it comes to imagining things. I'm sure you must have heard people cribbing that a particular movie was bad after they had read the book. And I'm talking about well written books. :)

Best way to get back to reading is by picking up a book that you loved. Start reading that one, and the rest will follow. :) True story.

chiron said:

You cant chose what to watch on tv(dont use the 'channels argument)

You have maybe 5 years worth of games to choose from

You have 2000 years of literature

chiron said:
Its just a PoV, and likeness. Since you never indulged in the habit would not blame you for not understanding. Similarly if I have not even participated in an activity or did participate but not enough and never liked it, how can it be understood.

Personally I love to read. At times I read 2 books at the same time. Once chapter from each every night..! Its awesome.

chiron said:
If you did not start reading books when you were a kid, you wont get it.

chiron said:
Hierarchy of needs is at play here i think.
Reading not just a book but in general matters if you get a better return on it compared to the others. If you stack the deck in favour of the latter two then reading is not going to be very interesting.

The other thing with reading is all you have is a script, you have to imagine everything else whereas the other two give you the characters, the way they look, the environment in which they work etc. This places an inherent limitation on what can be rendered in a movie or games but there is no limit when it comes to ideas expressed in a written form is there.

Back