How to provide battery backup to WiFi router?

rock_ya_baby

~~~=o=~~~
Adept
I have a Asus N10 router which is kept away in the living room, away from the Desktop's UPS. My flat has 24x7 power backup, however, between switch-overs the power cuts off for probably 2-4mins.

Any suggestions to provide approx ~3-5W power for short periods? Other than buying a cheapo UPS just for the WiFi router.

Why not use normal extension and connect the router to the UPS? Also routers dont require any 3pin stuff so you should be good with any good extension. Just purchase as per the required length in meters.

Why? Because RYB is stupid :p

I have a Asus N10 router which is kept away in the living room, away from the Desktop's UPS. My flat has 24x7 power backup, however, between switch-overs the power cuts off for probably 2-4mins.

Any suggestions to provide approx ~3-5W power for short periods? Other than buying a cheapo UPS just for the WiFi router.

Assuming your router runs off a 5v supply, get a 3.6V Li ion , a LiIon charging board and a 3.6V-5V converter from one of the DIY electronics stores

Assuming your router runs off a 5v supply, get a 3.6V Li ion , a LiIon charging board and a 3.6V-5V converter from one of the DIY electronics stores
If his router ran at 5V, he can use a power bank.

But in normal routers, the adapter output is rated at 12V or 9V. So it will be a bit difficult.
Running a lon extension board from thw UPS to router will be the best option.

Thanks for the inputs so far. Appreciate that. I am researching now about the DIY power bank sort of thing. Extending the UPS will look too messy for my need.
Some one suggested re-purposing a faulty PS3 DS3 controller that I have lying around to get the job done. If its not worth the time then will go for some cheapo UPS.

But in normal routers, the adapter output is rated at 12V or 9V. So it will be a bit difficult.
Running a lon extension board from thw UPS to router will be the best option.
Think most of the newer routers are 5v
In any case, for a 9-12V supply also, one could use a XL6009 board (~100 Rs ) with a 3.6V NiCd battery
Given the backup is required for just a few mins, a small 500-600 mAh battery pack would also suffice

Get a UPS or if you are up to it, build a small power supply with a 3.6V battery , a charger board and a DC-DC step-up board (e.g. XL6009)

Back