Linux how to? : restore default settings in KDE4

I want to restore graphics settings of KDE4 to default.
my os: Mandriva 2009.0
What i did: in 'onscreen keyboard' we get a 'GOK' application. GOK has option to configure windows behaviour. seeing various effects available i selected almost all effects from it.
next time, i restarted my computer, i was only able to see black sceen and welcome dialogue box appeared plane white. so i have screwed my graphics settings.
pressing alt+F4 (closing window) i can see scatter effects that was applied previously.
(I think screen appears black coz, the effect applied must be needing graphics drivers, that i haven't installed. also i was not able to use Compiz Fusion)

screen is full black & i can't do anything in KDE4.(now i am using KDE)

so help restoring KDE4 settings to default.

next time, i restarted my computer, i was only able to see black sceen and welcome dialogue box appeared plane white. so i have screwed my graphics settings.

pressing alt+F4 (closing window) i can see scatter effects that was applied previously.

Press CTRL + ALT+ F1 and enter as root

Type this

Code:
drak3d

disable Compiz and undo the settings you do !

Dark Star said:
Press CTRL + ALT+ F1 and enter as root

Type this

Code:
drak3d

disable Compiz and undo the settings you do !

It does not work, as i haven't enabled compiz fusion in first place.
also, it isn't possible at present state to enable compiz fusion on my system, as i haven't installed graphics drivers. "you computer does not support 3d effects" is what system says.

I think problem should be sorted out if i install drivers. But i am unable to install NVIDIA drivers,
problem is Kernel is not available & also it isn't available on their server. I have tried it close to 20 times.

so i want to get my KDE4 settings to default.
NO problem i can use KDE,Gnome,etc. but, i like KDE4:cupidon:

i think you can rename the ".kde" folder in your home folder...

Code:
mv ~/.kde ~/.kde-backup

you may need to shutdown KDE first not the whole OS. this you can do by pressing CTRL+ALT+F1 which takes you to console

then type "sudo /etc/init.d/kdm stop" before running the commands above.

oh i see you are on mandriva, the steps for stopping KDE may be different...

vishalrao said:
i think you can rename the ".kde" folder in your home folder...

yes sir, you were right, it applies for restoring KDE settings to default. but i had to rename '.kde4' folder in home.

I searched for kde4 in Dolphin & got the location as"home/sudarshan/.kde4". But in any mode i was not able to view .kde4, even though logged in as root. why is it so?

yes, i was able to restored back settings to default:

Code:
cd /home/username

rename .kde4 .kde4.old

firstly it didn't worked as switched between KDE-KDE4. it worked after restarting computer.

.kde4? oh ok, good work. i think mdv still places it in kde4 folder because they want to support installing kde3 and kde4 side by side. in my kubuntu installation its just .kde :)

what do you mean "in any mode" you were not able to view the folder? this is in dolphin? i was able to view after checking the option under menu View->Show hidden files. (not in the "view mode" menu which only has things like "list", "icons", "details")...

Ohh you only tell Alt + F2 show some weird effects thats why I thought you enabled Compiz :p

Anyways 2009.1 is out re :p Download it and do easy upgrade :)

vishalrao said:
.kde4? oh ok, good work. i think mdv still places it in kde4 folder because they want to support installing kde3 and kde4 side by side. in my kubuntu installation its just .kde :)

what do you mean "in any mode" you were not able to view the folder? this is in dolphin? i was able to view after checking the option under menu View->Show hidden files. (not in the "view mode" menu which only has things like "list", "icons", "details")...
It was in shell i wasn't able to view '.kde4','.kde',etc even if logged in as root. so, i searched for '.kde4' using Dolphin & was able to see them.

Why it is that, i wasn't able to view those files/folders in shell/Konsole Terminal, although i can view them in Dolphin?

Dark Star said:
Ohh you only tell Alt + F2 show some weird effects thats why I thought you enabled Compiz :p

Anyways 2009.1 is out re :p Download it and do easy upgrade :)
i told i had my full screen black & welcome window was appearing plane white, but when i press alt+F4(close) I could see the closing effect(which was applied before).

have already downloaded 2009.1 will install it after my exams are over. Ok Ok, main reason for not installing 2009.1 is my DVD RW has gone kaput:p

My DVDRW also went kaput - a month ago - finally a replacement arrived from samsung after they delayed for more than a month, got a 22x for my old 20x :D

btw, in shell did you do "ls" or "ls -a" ? the -a option lists all files including hidden... (files/folder starting with a dot are supposed to be hidden files in linux/unix)

vishalrao said:
btw, in shell did you do "ls" or "ls -a" ? the -a option lists all files including hidden... (files/folder starting with a dot are supposed to be hidden files in linux/unix)

Haven't tried 'ls -a' before. Tried it just now & was able to see all hidden files.

So attributes does apply for root user. I thought it didn't, as root has so much protection.

(tss tss.........i am still a n00b here)

Back