How to set up 5net Client in Linux

Hey people,
i wanted to know how does one create a new connection using the PPPoE settings (Connect using a broadband connection that uses a username and password) <--- this is what is done in windows xp.
can someone tell me what is to be done to do the same thing in PCLinux OS or Mandriva as i have heard that they are the easiest to use amongst all the linux distos.

Thx.

^^ You need not to configure your Modem if it is in PPPoE configuration.. It will get detected automatically and will work just after you plug in.. As far as user name and password.. :| Right click on the network Icon in the system tray and select manual configuration.. Fill all the necessary derails and other info's :) Use Ubuntu or Linux Mint for better stability,better packages and support ;)

thegamerulez said:
Hey people,

i wanted to know how does one create a new connection using the PPPoE settings (Connect using a broadband connection that uses a username and password) <--- this is what is done in windows xp.

can someone tell me what is to be done to do the same thing in PCLinux OS or Mandriva as i have heard that they are the easiest to use amongst all the linux distos.

Thx.

Select Terminal----->on the Terminal Window type "sudo pppoeconf"

and follow their on

then to switch on the connection use

pon dsl-provider

to turn off

poff dsl-provider

Gaurish said:
Select Terminal----->on the Terminal Window type "sudo pppoeconf"

and follow their on

then to switch on the connection use
pon dsl-provider
to turn off
poff dsl-provider

the procedure remains the same whether its linux mint or mandriva?

i forgot to add, there is a general tab within properties in my broadband connection window where i have to mention the service name (i.e the name of my service provider) where should i do that? 5net users would understand what i mean..in case you ppl don't get it , i would post a screenshot if its necessary.

thegamerulez said:
i forgot to add, there is a general tab within properties in my broadband connection window where i have to mention the service name (i.e the name of my service provider) where should i do that? 5net users would understand what i mean..in case you ppl don't get it , i would post a screenshot if its necessary.

Do you use a Client provided by your Isp to connect?

whats your connection type ADSL or Cable?

Please describe

its cable. Basically My ISP hasnt provided a separate client as such. I have to create a new connection from network connections, select PPPoE in it which creates a normal dial up type connection in the desktop. I then got to enter my service provider name from Properties<General Tab.
I have added 3 screenshots to make myself more clear. In a bit of a hurry (got exams the day after), so please excuse me for the stupid in-pic explanations :p

Screenshot 1

Screenshot 2

Back