How to teach basics of Computer to kids?

blkrb0t

It's Nothing Personal
Skilled
My cousin of around 10 years old wants to learn the basics of Computers during her summer holidays. She doesn't have any Computer in her home and all her experience with it is from the School - lots of theory, MS Office, BASIC etc...

She wants me to teach her more and I am dumbstruck as to where do I begin. What will be the most effective way to teach her the basics - OS basics, browsing, how to search for information on the web + internet etiquette, file management, etc.. Maybe I can also get her started on programming basics later on.

Other kids who I've come across usually learn around the basics on their own, but she is kind of lacking in this department as there is no Computer at her place.

Any pointers, experience, or books / online material I can refer to?

I don't think these things can be taught. People learn best from experience, kids even more so. If possible, getting her a basic set up might go a long way

I try to teach my mom how to use a computer sometimes. The simple answer is to go along with the flow. Start with what you think is the simplest, most easily comprehensible thing to teach. If she doesn't understand, try to modify your explanation to make it more comprehensible. If she still doesn't get it, move on to a different topic and try to build on that. I don't know if there's a standard way to teach everyone. Teaching an individual with regard to her individual way of understanding concepts is IMHO the best way to teach.

Just sit back and watch what she does if given her the total control for some time. Then you can decide what she understands and what things she does not know. Then try to teach her accordingly .

Don't expose her to internet at such an early age.
1. It exposes her to a number of unwanted elements.
2. Internet unintentionally turns into addiction.

Like some said install a few simple games and an easy to learn but fun programming language (we had turbo basic in school).

Don't expose her to internet at such an early age.
1. It exposes her to a number of unwanted elements.
2. Internet unintentionally turns into addiction.

Having experienced internet addiction myself and having wasted a lot of time on it, I can't say that I completely disagree with you.

But I don't think it's a good idea to not give her a head start with regard to the internet in today's world.

That being said, it's always a good thing for parents/guardians to monitor the time their ward spends on the internet.

If someone doesn't teach her proper Internet etiquette, then she will just go and learn on her own, and it can go either way. I just want to introduce her how to use email, use search engines to retrieve information for school work and for basic learning.

@blkrb0t
give her a computer and see what she does.
best dont start with internet stuffs like email or browsing. if possible cut off internet.
start with input/output. make her handle the mouse and keyboard and put some games.
this will make her getting involved in computer. once she does, install some creative/productivity software comic life, artrage, ms office.
then install kis or whatever with parental control and teach internet.

Last edited by a moderator:
I still remember how I strated learning Computer when I was 7-8 year old. My father told me how to turn the computer on and shut it down (Windows 95, 98 days <3 :angelic:). I used to explore rest of the stuff myself. Started using Paint. Used to play games (Dave, PoP, Wolf, Allen Border cricket etc). Let her explorer it herself.. She'll learn.

I still remember how I strated learning Computer when I was 7-8 year old. My father told me how to turn the computer on and shut it down (Windows 95, 98 days <3 :angelic:). I used to explore rest of the stuff myself. Started using Paint. Used to play games (Dave, PoP, Wolf, Allen Border cricket etc). Let her explorer it herself.. She'll learn.
Same as you. Dad bought to put up account but it didnt worked up. Its was only used for games as the pc comes with a bundle of 12 cd which one full of games.

Also, if I may offer a suggestion that is slightly different from what others are offering... why not start with some computer hardware basics?

Talk to a few shop owners and get hold of non-working computer parts. Better yet, (buy if you don't have and) assemble her PC with her making it a fun activity. I'm assuming you are comfortable with this yourself. Kids love this stuff. She will be doubly interested to learn what's in there once you make her realise that that she has "built the entire computer"! No better way to spark the curiosity. :)

After that, I would suggest
- Going the tried and tested route of Paint, Word and PowerPoint.
- Use the Voice Recorder and let her play around with it.
- Do small projects with her and take out printouts and put it in her room. Grade her on her efforts; all As and A+s, no Cs or Ds or even Bs.
- Install a few fun learning software or even language training software (Rosetta Stone comes to mind).

Lots of constructive things can be done if you think about it.

PS: I would not recommend putting games on the first day itself. That was how computers were introduced to me and I am suffering till date :(

Also, if I may offer a suggestion that is slightly different from what others are offering... why not start with some computer hardware basics?

Talk to a few shop owners and get hold of non-working computer parts. Better yet, (buy if you don't have and) assemble her PC with her making it a fun activity. I'm assuming you are comfortable with this yourself. Kids love this stuff. She will be doubly interested to learn what's in there once you make her realise that that she has "built the entire computer"! No better way to spark the curiosity. :)

After that, I would suggest
- Going the tried and tested route of Paint, Word and PowerPoint.
- Use the Voice Recorder and let her play around with it.
- Do small projects with her and take out printouts and put it in her room. Grade her on her efforts; all As and A+s, no Cs or Ds or even Bs.
- Install a few fun learning software or even language training software (Rosetta Stone comes to mind).

Lots of constructive things can be done if you think about it.
+1. I too recommend hardware and assembling the pc. it gives a different perspective towards computers. they can even easily correlate what actually happens when they write code.
PS: I would not recommend putting games on the first day itself. That was how computers were introduced to me and I am suffering till date :(
+1:wideyed:

+1. I too recommend hardware and assembling the pc. it gives a different perspective towards computers. they can even easily correlate what actually happens when they write code.

+1:wideyed:

Lol nothing too serious but my first instinct is to load a game; doesn't matter if I really wanted to play or not. I realise this now.

Give her a PC see whats she knows [although she knew something for sure:playful: ]
and let her ask question with curiosity.
OR
Best way ask whats she like to do on PC and get along with simple manner :)

my kid is 3 , i did not teach her anything ,she now turns it on , logs into her kid protected account , goes to youtube , watches her favorite songs , gets bored , switches it off
last week she has learnt to start up paint and do some doodles ... have refrained from teaching her anything yet.

teaching only limits thinking , let her learn stuff

Back