CPU/Mobo how to turn off the usb charging feature of my motherboard?

Dishant996

Disciple
its a gigabyte 78lmt-s2pt. I use my smartphone to connect to internet on my PC. its starts getting charged as I connect it with a USB cable. I want to manually turn the charging feature on or off as per my will as the constant recharging screws up with the battery life. searching on internet didn't help.

You can't turn off USB 'charging' on the mobo as it will always supply 5v. You can try to turn off charging when connected to USB, on your phone. Google your phone model to find how.

Actually, you will need to check whether you can do this in your phone, as without the 5V provided by the USB cable and the data pins, the phone/computer will not recognize the presence of each other.

Another option is to buy a dongle.

Also, dont be worried about the charging, the current is usually 500mA, which is insufficient to charge to full capacity in a short period.

no go for the dongle. yeah mtp mode makes no difference. actually as i switched to mtp mode, i wasn't able to switch it back to be connected as a media device. it kind of got switched on its on after a while... its not about the amount of charge .. its about the irregular charging my phone has to face everytime i plug it in. it messes up the battery life.

Actually try to start using tethering after you've charged your phone to full. Then, the usb charging won't be really charging your battery, but rather holding it near maximum at a trickle charge. This is better than using tethering, letting the battery run out, then unplug and recharge. Those deep cycles will kill your battery faster. Caveat to this method is if you have a really shitty network signal, your antennae will run at a higher power than the 500ma USB can supply and this will definitely kill your battery the fastest of any method.

I suggest you read up on how phones charge over usb, and how lithium ion batteries are charged in general, for that matter.

^ lol fyi i just bought a usb wifi from FK for 360 bucks 5 minutes ago. But wouldn't a wifi hotspot cause more battery drain and load than usb tethering? i'm currently wifi tethering my redmi 2 prime to my pc on jio because i have to keep it in the other room for network, and it's plugged into a 650mA wall charger. If i had network in the pc room i would use usb.[DOUBLEPOST=1475440747][/DOUBLEPOST]first one in the list, the tplink

btw, i bought this tplink wifi because a) it's effing FK discount season ! (got a whopping 40 bucks off on it) and b) my existing wifi dongle is a G. i'd need like a 5 meter usb cable to reach the phone in the other room, and then no telling how the usb performance would be affected. so NOT being able to (practically) usb tether is my problem, opposite of OP !

in other thoughts, jio on 1800mhz, phone is in the exact same position and orientation, in both rooms, just that the 'good' room is about 10 feet west of the 'bad' (pc) room. huge difference in signal quality and strength. makes no sense (well, reflections etc maybe)

i was thinking about that binatone one costing 249. its still got significant amt of reviews though.
and for the record, i own a redmi 2 prime as well, with jio sim in it. :D
and i plan to use that with my pc, so are they going to provide no bottleneck on speed transfers?
i checked my mobo specs and it has only usb 2.0 ports. and my phone has 802.11 b/g/n support and so do those adapters.

Last edited:
1st, you're gonna be pretty disappointed with jio. speedtests will show anything like 30-40mbps but real world is quite different. anyway, 3 months...

whom exactly do you mean by 'they'? jio?

usb 2 is good enough for N. i've never even seen a usb 3 wifi adapter.[DOUBLEPOST=1475443320][/DOUBLEPOST]and i would never buy an device named without-tone...[DOUBLEPOST=1475443393][/DOUBLEPOST]my current dongle is some unnammed pos so it doesn't really matter though. has an rtl8187 chip. does pc hotspot too...

1st, you're gonna be pretty disappointed with jio. speedtests will show anything like 30-40mbps but real world is quite different. anyway, 3 months...

whom exactly do you mean by 'they'? jio?

usb 2 is good enough for N. i've never even seen a usb 3 wifi adapter.[DOUBLEPOST=1475443320][/DOUBLEPOST]and i would never buy an device named without-tone...[DOUBLEPOST=1475443393][/DOUBLEPOST]my current dongle is some unnammed pos so it doesn't really matter though. has an rtl8187 chip. does pc hotspot too...

'they' as in the adapters. any of them. but still, keeping the company name aside, its still got some pretty strong ratings and reviews.

how about this one, as i'm pretty strong on budget - https://www.flipkart.com/terabyte-3...LSTUSBEB5CVHQYUDNRKLHHUOE&qH=d49e4748fd8f394d

well, as you being in the exact situation as of mine, do you torrent with your 'setup' on your pc? if you do, how much speed do you manage to get?
i do and i get pretty good, like 700 kbps on an average, within the daily limit. idk if you we are allowed to talk about torrents, please don't shut my thread.

Back