Linux HowTo: Holding hand walkthrough for setting up PPPoE on any linux distro.

chezy

Disciple
This is my first review so constructive criticism will be welcomed.

To cut a long story short, the main reason that deprived me of a linux distro was internet access from the distro, not that the distro I use ( openSuSE ) lacked support for it but rather I did’nt have enough knowledge to get it to work.

Like many others I have to use PPPoE to connect to the net. Linux uses a command line utility called pppoeconf to setup and then adsl-start to start the link, but I never managed to set up PPPoE connection which uses a Access Concentrator. After a lot of searching I found out that there is a gui based front end for RP-PPPoE , this is the software that we are going to setup now.

The software can be downloaded in the form of RPM or Deb but I’ll show how easily it can be compiled so that the tutorial isn’t distro dependent and will also help some noob’s (I’m one) to grasp how easy it is to compile software on linux.

1). Downloading the source : The source can be easily downloaded from this page

RP-PPPoE | Roaring Penguin
2). Compiling source : First extract the source by right clicking and selecting “Extract Hereâ€, going in the extracted directory you will find this .

Next rightclick anywhere in the open folder ad click “Open Terminalâ€, this should open the terminal with the prompt at the folder, do a “su†then enter the password to become root. Then type “./go-gui†.

If you open the go-gui script in a text editor you will see that it performs the “./configureâ€, “make†and “make installâ€.

Incase you run into some errors make sure you have gcc and gcc++ compilers installed or just copy paste the errors shown on the terminal and post here.

3). Setting up: Hoping that the compile went without errors go ahead by typing “tkpppoe†as root in terminal this should open up this window,

Don’t pay any attention to the FiveNet button now, to understand the other buttons read on,
To start and stop the connection.
To delete an connection.
This button allows you to modify the connection properties.

This button helps create a new connection, go ahead and click this button,
it should open a window like this one,

The different tabs on this window helps you to set up the new connection, using the pppoe client on windows ( RASPPPoE ) as a base I will show how to setup the connection.

a). Basic Tab: Enter any convenient name in the “Connection Name†field, in my case I had entered “FiveNetâ€, which is shown on the tkpppoe window. Enter your user name and password for the connection, the window should be similar to this,

b). NIC & DNS Tab: Set it up as the image.

e). Options Tab: Leave it at default.

f). Advanced Tab: This is the tab where we will put the access concentrator information.

To get an idea of what is entered here lets look at the RasPPPoE image from windows,

The “FiveNet\5netrajivv†is the required address now take a look at the tkpppoe advanced option,

Setup your connection just like this, click “ok†button shown at the bottom after this, now go ahead and click connect wait for a few seconds and will become

this the green blocks mean the connection has been established.
If anyone is still having any problems post here. If anyone has problem settings up ethernet or cant browse even after connecting with tkpppoe post here. For people who dont have a windows dualboot with linux download this How-to openoffice doc from the attachment.
Next, Review/How-To for openSuSE 10.2 and Ubuntu Edgy.

The howto was made on openSuSE 10.2, the white flakes on some images is the result of snow plugin in beryl.

Attachments

• rp-pppoe tut.zip
    255 KB · Views: 210
Nice one dude...

I recently installed Mandriva 2007 and i was able to run my MTNL broadband thru it. During the installation itself, my ADSL account was configured... But it works only in KDE by default. Using ur tutorial i think i can run it on GNOMe too...

One suggestion:

U can improve upon the formatting of the tutorial to make it more readable.

Can anyone tell me how to connect to internet in Pupply linux I m a MTNL delhi user ??

Whats the user name and password for the connection ??

I have a always on connection on XP

Though I think My username is my phone no and Password is My CA No. coz

but I have used that also to configure PPPoE but not connecting :(

Also earlier I have used Ubuntu DSL and nimblex and all of them has picked my MTNL connection out of Box :D

Puppy ko kya gaya hai :D

I will tell some brief steps(BRIDGE MODE) ,even if you fret to touch terminal(its a great tool!no need to search for commands like in ms-dos ):

1)make sure you got a onboard Lan card(most of the motherboards comes with this

2)run "ifconfig" in a terminal -which you can get in Gnome distributions in Menu-Applications>accessories>terminal or in Fedora - APplications>System>Terminal .

see the output lists a lan card up ="eth0" ,"eth1" any apart from loopback address "lo".

3) run "sudo pppoeconf" in Debian based distros like Ubuntu,Mepis,Sidux ,mint etc etc

follow to finish -don't choose automatically connect on boot up -if you don't want that!

use "pon dsl-provider" and "poff " to switch ON and OFF. install gnome-netstatus-applet on your panel to see the ppp0 status.

Fedora/RPM distros:

1) In Fedora 10 ,configure your internet using System>Administration>Network (system-config-network~tui)

2) add wheel,dip to your user's secondary groups.also ,in the configuration tool ,select "allow all users to control this ".

you can annex these groups to your local user as:

gpasswd -a yourloginname group

For eg:

gpasswd -a prakash wheel,dip

3) start net connection by "/sbin/ifup ppp0 up" and stops by "/sbin/ifdown ppp0"

--

You can create shortcuts to your Desktop or Panel(gnome) with icons so that you can connect and stop easy.

Hope it helps. Good Luck.

~EDIT:Sorry guys/gals - I type very closely and congest - I know difficult to read ,but will try to put some < > SPACE.

^^ I have used Ubuntu , DSL and nimblex and all of them has picked my MTNL connection out of Box

but Puppy is causing me headache :D

Till now unable to configure any help ???

^On bridge mode? puppy also uses rp-pppoe .open a terminal - if you got root user password , do "su" press enter and give root users password.

run :

pppoe-setup or adsl-setup and follow the instruction. use pppoe-connect to connect ,use pppoe-stop to stop.

oh wait!Their site itself explains very well bhaaya :

DSL | Puppy Linux

An awesome guide thank you for all of the hard work. :D

Just a quick thought... Most relatively newer routers allow you to setup ppoe settings directly from the router. I myself have this setup with my DSL connection and therefore never have to worry about these settings in my OS at all.... So while this won't work for everyone, it may for some :)

Sorry for bumping this thread. When I try to do this I get the following error ... can someone plz guide me on this

c6@c6-MS-7592:/opt/rp-pppoe-3.10/gui/html$ tkpppoe

exec: 24: wish: not found

-----------------------------------

c6@c6-MS-7592:/opt/rp-pppoe-3.10/gui/html$ tkpppoe

exec: 24: wish: not found

-----------------------------------

root@c6-MS-7592:/opt/rp-pppoe-3.10# sudo dpkg -i '/media/Amogh/downloads/tk8.5_8.5.0-3_amd64.deb'

Selecting previously deselected

package tk8.5.

(Reading database ... 118828 files and directories currently installed.)

Unpacking tk8.5 (from .../tk8.5_8.5.0-

3_amd64.deb) ...

dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of tk8.5:

tk8.5 depends on tcl8.5 (>= 8.5.0); however:

Package

tcl8.5 is not installed.

dpkg: error processing tk8.5 (--install):

dependency problems - leaving unconfigured

Processing triggers

for man-db ...

Errors were encountered while processing:

tk8.5

now heres my problem:
i get my Internet connection thru one access concentrator : worldnet
my isp also has a local LAN on other A.C. : zonenet
now i can connect to both of them independently.,but i want both connections up at the same time...how do i go about doing it?

Back