HP Mechanical Keyboard for Rs. 699 (Chennai Only)

Grease Monk

Intertoob Ninja & Hamster Hunter Extraordinaire
Adept
I've been looking out for a cheap mechanical keyboard of late and Sarang has brought to my attention the existence of a 700 buck keyboard from HP.

FF861AA, Keyboards , Mechanical USB and PS2 Keyboard HP Originals | Product Details | Original HP Accessories and Add-Ons | HP Carry Case, Mobile Laser Mouse, HP Notebook Computer in India, LCD Monitors in India, HP Desktop Computer in India, HP DVD

Although the link says free shipping, on checkout, a shipping charge of Rs. 100 is applied stating that free shipping only applies to orders of Rs. 1000 and above.

So in my quest of being extremely miserly, I would like to order at least two keyboards from them to save a hundred bucks :ashamed:. If there is anyone else from Chennai interested in one of these, I will gladly order one for them and take payment on delivery. If more than one person steps up, we will have to go down the NEFT-transfer-in-my-account-before-I-place-an-order-path.

For a brief review of they keyboard (I couldn't find any online), please find Sarang's comments below:

sarang said:
Sure thing,
At exactly half the price of a TVS-E Gold the keyboard is definitely a worthy contender. Let me list the gripes first.
1. Being used to a Model-M then a few TVS-E Golds I am used to larger keyboards. This one feels very small. The Key travel is ok, did not take much to used to it but no keyboard borders is a downer for me. (If you have seen a model M or a TVS-E with that large tapered top and bottom you know what I mean.
2. It's USB and they also provide a USB->PS2 converter. It should have been the other way round if NKRO is something they cared about. THEY DON'T. I get a 6Key RO at best.

3. It kills to remove the keys on this one. Its a pain better not described. So cleanliness freaks beware. I for one can be douche-bag at cleaning my house but I prefer spanking clean keyboards.

Now the plusses.

1. The tactile feel is awesome for a 700 INR keyboard. The keys do not sound too clicketty (might be negative to some) they aactually sound closer to the erstwhile Model-M than the TVS-E

2. The cord length is decent.

3. The keyboard is HEAVY and I love it. Plus its built to last.

4. No nonsense keys.

At a measly 700 for a decent typing gear I'd say all mech lovers should have this as a back-up or the ones aspiring to start using mechanicals this coiuld be a fantastic starting point without breaking the bank.

Wont running around to deliver the keyboard on your classic cost more than Rs.100 ? :p

I just have to open up my air filter box to create a black hole, get another classic owner I know on the other end of town to do the same and we got ourselves a wormhole. Minimal fuel required! :p

Plus, I'm saving the other peep a hundred bucks as well, so I'm sure they won't mind meeting half way. :D

This offer will be up until I get my next 10% off ebay coupon in the mail.

Those interested, please post here or PM me.

Nope. I just assumed they wouldn't carry an HP keyboard. Have you seen anyone stocking this there?

Nice deal monkey. :D

Using a TVSE gold as I type this. Thanks for the headsup robertjihn/varkey. Maybe I'll just give that EBay link a shot. :)

Bump.

10 chars

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Got an ebay discount coupon, so I am withdrawing this offer.

Apologies to the mods for posting this in the incorrect section.

I love the feel of this keyboard. Feels solid as a rock.

Not as clicky as I expected a Cherry Blue keyboard to be (if it indeed has those), which is a nice touch.

Although I have the following relatively negative comments about the board:

1. The keys seem to spaced a little closer than a 'regular' keyboard. I'm comparing it with the membrane keyboards I use on my other PC and at work. I feel like I have less space to work with, but note the difference feels minimal at most.

2. My main gripe with the keyboard is that the keys actuate too early. From what I read online about mechanical keyboards I assumed they would actuate around halfway through their total travel, but I'm noticing that the keys send a signal with as little as 25% of their total play. This results in me pressing incorrect keys when moving my fingers from one button to another if they brush against any keys in between. It could be that I need to acclimatize myself to the way mechanical keys work when compared to membranes (which need to be pressed all the way to the bottom to register a press). But as of now, my typing accuracy has definitely reduced.

Since I don't type too much on this machine at the moment, it will take me a couple of months to make a more definitive call on whether the above two points are reason enough not to recommend this keyboard.

@Yogesh: That seems to be a membrane keyboard. This is a mechanical keyboard. If you would like to know the differences, there are some threads on TE regarding the same. There are also some decent articles all over the web.

Grease Monk said:
2. My main gripe with the keyboard is that the keys actuate too early. From what I read online about mechanical keyboards I assumed they would actuate around halfway through their total travel, but I'm noticing that the keys send a signal with as little as 25% of their total play. This results in me pressing incorrect keys when moving my fingers from one button to another if they brush against any keys in between. It could be that I need to acclimatize myself to the way mechanical keys work when compared to membranes (which need to be pressed all the way to the bottom to register a press). But as of now, my typing accuracy has definitely reduced.

From what i ve read it is indeed more about getting used to this feature of mechanical keys. Am sick and tired of membrane boards and their busting and hardening ways. Will definitely go for this one, thanks for the inputs Grease Monk and Sarang too :).

The eBay listing has ended btw, seems will have to buy from HP website after all :(.

You can still buy a TVSE Gold for around 2k. I bought mine with AT interface back in 1998 for 1200/- It's gradually increased in price.

I currently use a Corsair K90 Mechanical keyboard that cost me 6.6k. Now K90/K95 seem to be selling for over 10k.

Yes I am planning on buying the TVS keyboard, but it looks ugly in my opinion. Also, the big borders around the keys make it huge, will take up a lot of space on desk.

Back