Laptops HP Service Center Wants to Replace Motherboard of my Laptop - I Suspect Cheating

unni

Adept
I was trying to replace my 6-7 years old HP DV5 1015tx laptop's hard disk with an SSD. Unfortunately, I think I broke the SATA connector since the laptop stopped detecting the disk after opening it. I checked in another laptop, and the disk gets detected properly. But it doesn't even show up in DV5's BIOS.

So, I took the laptop to one of the Trivandrum service centers listed in HP's website. I also asked them to do a cleanup since the laptop was getting very hot. Today, I got a call from them saying some of the function keys are not working, and she said its probably because of the SATA cable short circuited the motherboard. She says the motherboard has to be replaced. I was using the function keys to get into BIOS before I took the laptop for service. So, I feel either they damaged it during the cleanup or they are trying to trick me to pay more. Is there anyway I can confirm they are not trying to trick me? Will contacting HP give me information regarding the motherboard's unique ID (if such a thing exists) so that I can be sure they didn't put a faulty motherboard in mine?

What does the motherboard have to do with the keyboard? Strange. Go there and see how extensive the damage is and see if you can live without those function keys. Also a little too late for finding out your motherboards serial number, before you handed it in you could've run cpuz or aida or system info and got your motherboard serial number, but now I guess it'll be too late assuming they have already changed it.

In any case, I suggest you take the laptop from them as they seem incompetent. As eternomind said, go to a reliable and honest repair shop rather than these service center morons.

Back