html doubts-------URGENT

m1h1r

Adept
1.How can I make the HTML coding of my webpage invisible to others through View--->Source ???:huh:
2.How can I block others from editing the HTML coding of my page ?? [I want people to only read the code, not edit]

ouch....are both the questions individual ? or are supposed to work on the 'same' html page , cause they contradict each other....

neways :

1.How can I make the HTML coding of my webpage invisible to others through View--->Source ???

Ans: various scripts are available that disable the same and dont allow you to do so , although its NOT a completely fool proof system...u might need various ways to block it , right click -> view source, view -> source...the best way is to encrypt your html code and let everyone have fun on the junk they would see.....

2.How can I block others from editing the HTML coding of my page ?? [I want people to only read the code, not edit]

Ans: Again , similar option as mentioned above , your best best is to encrypt the html code....

Read here : HTML encryption software: Encrypt HTML source code and disable right mouse click. , this is the best i have seen.

mihirpradhan204 said:
1.How can I make the HTML coding of my webpage invisible to others through View--->Source ???:huh:

First of all what are you talking about? Do you have website with control panel right with you or are you talking about anything else... clear it. :)

mihirpradhan204 said:

1. an easy javascript function can disable right click completely
2.Please be more clear.

Use a HTML scrambler freely available. Disabling right click is not fool proof. If you use scrambler, people can't even read your code properly..

My advice : Leave a 1000 lines blank and start your code.. Most people won't notice and think it is a blank source :p

hanzy said:
ouch....are both the questions individual ? or are supposed to work on the 'same' html page , cause they contradict each other....

neways :

1.How can I make the HTML coding of my webpage invisible to others through View--->Source ???

Ans: various scripts are available that disable the same and dont allow you to do so , although its NOT a completely fool proof system...u might need various ways to block it , right click -> view source, view -> source...the best way is to encrypt your html code and let everyone have fun on the junk they would see.....

Ans: Again , similar option as mentioned above , your best best is to encrypt the html code....

Read here : HTML encryption software: Encrypt HTML source code and disable right mouse click. , this is the best i have seen.

+1 !

Javascripts aren't fool proof..

Rather ENCRYPT your code !

sri_rng said:
My advice : Leave a 1000 lines blank and start your code.. Most people won't notice and think it is a blank source :p

Wow! Nice advice... :eek:hyeah:

godsp33d said:
1. an easy javascript function can disable right click completely

2.Please be more clear.

You can view the code thro' , View->Page Source

And You still get the right-click menu in Firefox,inspite of using the script and it showing a dialog box...

mihirpradhan204 said:

Editing the code will do them no good ! They still have to save(re-write) the file in the original location for changes to take place...

They can however read/copy your code and use it elsewhere...

If you are using css, most of your code will be hard to figure out if all the rest is on an external stylesheet, you can do that with javascript too I believe :)

Based on my experience in web programming I suggest you don't spend much time on these questions. HTML is the code understood by your browser the only way to ensure that no one can see that code is not to send one (create a blank web page). Other than that one may still see the code through View->Source. You can prevent it via some Java script but that too is client side and can be broken.

Most of the web pages involve server side programming and that code cannot be seen via the client i.e. by view->source. Only the client side code (HTML, Javascript etc) is visible to the browser, that way it ensures that your business logic is hidden.

I don't think that you will find tangible answers to your question and if you do, kindly let me know :).

mihirpradhan204 is a student and age 16 as per his profile.....maybe he is working on something / project or something which he wants to source protect.....i totally agree he should......i remember myself doing a *.html search on comp lab pc's , collecting them all and then copy - pasting - modding to make my own project and then go back to the original owner and say "Oh!, you should have added this here , would have been nice" :lol:.....wat days those were :no: :no: :no:

@hammerhead : correct me if im wrong , but u are refering to .asp pages :) ...on asp pages the HTML code is still unprotected and easily getable...you can for eg. copy the entire structure of that page , however any references to pages between the asp tags wouldn't show and thats where the main things always are :)

The HTML source has to be readable or else the browser will not be able to display anything. You need the browser to read your HTML code to parse and display it.

Anyway why do you need to hide HTML source? That is just markup code and is "dumb". It can't contain any logic so don't understand what needs to be hidden here?

hanzy said:
mihirpradhan204 is a student and age 16 as per his profile.....maybe he is working on something / project or something which he wants to source protect.....i totally agree he should......i remember myself doing a *.html search on comp lab pc's , collecting them all and then copy - pasting - modding to make my own project and then go back to the original owner and say "Oh!, you should have added this here , would have been nice" :lol:.....wat days those were :no: :no: :no:

@hammerhead : correct me if im wrong , but u are refering to .asp pages :) ...on asp pages the HTML code is still unprotected and easily getable...you can for eg. copy the entire structure of that page , however any references to pages between the asp tags wouldn't show and thats where the main things always are :)

Not just asp, I am refering to all server side programming that includes php, jsp and asp. HTML is just client side, you can type in HTML code and view it via browser without having to run a server. The server side code is converted into HTML then send to the browser of the client. And you are correct the main thing is mostly (if not always) hidden in the server side code.

Just think about it for a moment. The html source HAS to be sent to the user's system in order for it to be displayed. So even if you add blank lines on top(which will fool only the most stupid and inexperienced persons), or use any javascript, the code still has to be on the client's system for it to be displayed. You can use firefox tools like firebug to view the final html AS IT IS rendered by the browser. Even if you put the design data in CSS, most web coders should understand it.

So finally its basically useless to try and hide HTML code.

junkiedogg said:
Just think about it for a moment. The html source HAS to be sent to the user's system in order for it to be displayed. So even if you add blank lines on top(which will fool only the most stupid and inexperienced persons), or use any javascript, the code still has to be on the client's system for it to be displayed. You can use firefox tools like firebug to view the final html AS IT IS rendered by the browser. Even if you put the design data in CSS, most web coders should understand it.
So finally its basically useless to try and hide HTML code.

try the software that i posted and post back...that thing converts the entire code in GARBAGE :lol: and IE / Firefox manages to READ the garbage and do exactly what its supposed to be...I tested on a .asp file and even hosted it...and it read even that :lol:

mihirpradhan204 said:

With reference to the first query --> There are a lot of scripts that allow you to hide the source....a simple google search will give you results. As well as many members here have given you answers.

As for your second query...If you are working on the file locally, you could try protecting it by security softwares or windows encryption techniques....but if the file is stored on web server, you just need to chmod it to 644 or something that's convenient to you...
also how do others modify your code ?? do they have access to the file or do they do it through the browser ??

hanzy said:

LoL, I am sure this is the case. :rofl: (sry offtopic :p)

Back