HTPC for Playing Music,Projector & LCD TV

Gaurish

ex-Mod
Hi,

I am looking to assemble a PC for a friend

Requirements:

1) Amp drives 10speakers. AMP would connected to PC.

2) Running Movies on Second screen(LCD)

3) Drive the Projector.

The main problem is
:

I want task #1,#2,#3 to be done together. meaning PC should feed music mp3 to AMP, Run Movies on LCD. And lastly, drive the projector. All at same time.

the is it possible? If not, then how is best way to accomplish those tasks?

Template

1. Q: What is your budget?

1. 20K

2. Q: What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)

None

7. (please mention the rest in above format)

3. Q: Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)

1. Monitor - Samsung CRT 17"

2. Keyboard & Mouse

3. UPS

4. Q: Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.

1. CPU - Intel i3 530 @ 2.93GHZ

2. Motherboard - any compatible motherboard

3. Onboard Graphics

5. Q: Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component

1. NO Upgrade. Its final config

6. Q: Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)

1. Jaipur

2. Open to online purchase

7. Q: Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market

1. No

8. Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware

2. Browsing

3. Desktop Processing

4. HTPC

6. Watching HD movies

9. Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.

12. Q: Are you looking to overclock?

1. No

13. Q: Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?

1. Windows 7

2. Linux - OpenSuse

The projector you must be connecting has to be VGA, I guess.

So basically you will be needing a graphics card which has 2 VGA out's.

For the AMP, I would not say much as my knowledge is limited in that matter. All I can say is that rather than using mp3's it would be advisable to us FLAC.

Maybe a 4350 would suffice, but Shripad has written something about interlacing and said that a 5670 would be important but then that was applicable for HDMI connection to LCD I'm unsure whether its applicable for Projector's too.

Gaurish said:
Hi,
I am looking to assemble a PC for a friend

Requirements:
1) Amp drives 10speakers. AMP would connected to PC.
2) Running Movies on Second screen(LCD)
3) Drive the Projector.

The main problem is
:
I want task #1,#2,#3 to be done together. meaning PC should feed music mp3 to AMP, Run Movies on LCD. And lastly, drive the projector. All at same time.
is it possible? If not, then how is best way to accomplish those tasks?
You would need an extra graphics card & possibly an extra sound card (if the 2nd LCD also needs sound otherwise just onboard SC is enough for the AMP). This will do your two visuals. If you need sound in all 3 places then you will need an additional 2 soundcards or just one that has two sets of outputs.

It would require software that is not free and this case only works in windows, not too expensive tho but will do this simultaneous juggling for you and comes with an excellent media manager.

The concept is known as zones, so you would create 3 zones in this case, one for the AMP, another for the LCD and yet one more for the projector. You would have 3 playing lists to control what gets played on them.

The software is j. river media centre 14. You can always search their forum for the word zones to get an idea of how it works. The software is free to try for a month so you should be able to experiment and see if it meets your requirements and can be installed on any number of pcs for one license.

Otherwise on the *nix box you would need the same above hardware but would have to run 3 instances of the player app each one configured to the individual SC+GC. It's feasible but could be difficult to manage long term.

Hi,

Thanks for replying.

Right now my main priority is - Task #1 & #2. I need system to send audio & video to LCD(hdmi?) and at same same time music should playable in 10speaker system via AMP(spdif?).

So please suggest me what hardware would do this job, along with its cost. Presently I am looking at Intel i3 based solution. or Should I go for AMD?

for the chip, I need something which runs very cool. in rajasthan it gets pretty hot(Above 45C). i selected i3 because its based of 32 nm fabrication process so it should be energy efficient and thus run cool.Integrated GPU is huge plus for HTPC.

what you guys say?

:bump:

I read more about multi-zone configs. have few queries,

* how many graphics cards would I need to operate PC monitor and LCD TV at same time. both showing different screens.

* Similarly, how many sound cards would be need to play music via AMP and feed audio to LCD TV

Also, how config is more suited for the same?

Gaurish said:
:bump:
I read more about multi-zone configs. have few queries,

* how many graphics cards would I need to operate PC monitor and LCD TV at same time. both showing different screens.
One add-on. The other is handled by the onboard.

Gaurish said:
* Similarly, how many sound cards would be need to play music via AMP and feed audio to LCD TV
Again one more, other will be onboard.

If the onboard isn't suficient for your reqmts then you will need two add-ons.

Gaurish said:
Also, how config is more suited for the same?
no idea what you mean.

blr_p said:
One add-on. The other is handled by the onboard.

no idea what you mean.

I was wondering what would be the recommended PC parts config.Currently I am thinking of

CPU - Intel i3 530 @ 2.93GHZ
Mobo - Suggest
RAM - 2GB DDR3 - which company?
Grx Card - Suggest
Sound Card - Suggest
DVD writer - Samsung/LG
HDD - 500GB Seagate

Additionally Any cheap remote control Kits?

Back