Video HTPC - HDMI problem with Yamaha RX-V375 avr

terence_fdes

wizened Dinosaur
Skilled
Hi

I am having a problem with the HDMI output from my PC > Yamaha RX-V375 AVR (input) > LG 47" LED (final output)

The HDMI output from PC is through the Graphics Card - Asus GTX 660 Ti Top Edition..... (prior to getting the Yamaha AVR - this HDMI was directly connected to the LG TV & permanently fixed & there were no passthrough problems)

I cannot keep the HDMI cable permanently fixed. If the Yamaha & LG-TV is switched off then my PC screen goes blank (only wallpaper is visible with no desktop icons or control of my PC). To again get control of my PC - I need to disconnect the HDMI cable.

I have not tried outputting the HDMI from the motherboard hdmi socket of the PC owing to "dropped frames problem with Ivybridge procs - see
HD4000 RIG connected to LG 47" LED Strange Problem

I use MPC-HC x64 player to watch all my 1080p movies or VLC.

There are no drivers available for the Yamaha RX-V375 AVR for Windows 7 (dunno if this is important ..... coz with my earlier connection - HTPC > LG-TV ........ the LG-TV audio output was identified in MPC - Output Options)

And lastly - I need to solve this issue because at long last I have now got a decent Home Theatre - Wharfedale Speakers - Moviestar 65+ 5.1 speakers

@6pack

Thanks

Terry

@cranky & @Chaos are better at such fault finding than me.
Seems like graphics card problem to me. Its giving importance to the HDMI socket I think.

Thanks bro (as usual you are always the quickest to reply).

I refrained from using the term, but is this an "HDMI passthrough" problem ?

I need to solve this as my wife and daughter are getting MAD at me for getting this new setup - the Yamaha RX-V375 & Wharfedale 5.1 speakers ....... (I spent over 50k on this :p). I am not always at home. They were happy with the earlier setup - HTPC > LG-TV ..... but the sound was shitty.

Look for HDMI CEC in your receiver menu and enable it. That will enable HDMI passthrough.

Do you have a second connected display?

Thanks @6pack & @cranky - I will be outdoors today too. So will have time only after 8 pm to check things out.

Meanwhile - My PC is connected (from the Graphics Card outputs) to a Dell 23" - using DVI-D & the HDMI output > Yamaha AVR

Message @Udit, he has some experience with this specific issue regarding HDMI connection overriding all other connections on nVidia cards. This meant the HDMI cable had to be unplugged when not using it, and replugged when it was required. Very annoying.

You may be able to circumvent this using CEC, but not sure. I have neither an nVidia card nor any system with HDMI plus another display, to confirm this for you. Good luck with your troubleshooting.

i think that the problem is that the dell monitor is being treated as secondary display. So you get only the wallpaper. If you swap the displays then the problem will be gone. This can be done by physically changing the ports or you can select display 1 and place it in place of 2 or vice versa. if windows 7 then right click on desktop, screen resolution

Was this problem solved?

I had a different issue with scaling on my LCD when using PC (GTX 570) > AVR > LCD all HDMI connection.

I'm using SPDIF out from the motherboard to AVR to speakers now. And HDMI from GTX570 to LCD for video right now. I believe this restricts bitrate to 640 Kbps when playing content from PC.

Edit: I ran some 1536 Kbps DTS content AVR shows the same via Optical.

Last edited:
Back