Budget 31-40k HTPC / Lightroom / Photoshop / Light video encoding rig

Cross posted from another forum, using the same template.

1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')

The machine will be used extensively for Photoshop, A very large Lightroom library, Plex server (multiple simultaneous streams), Light video encoding work, Regular document editing, Downloads.

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.

Preferably 30-35ish max, can add more components over time too.

3. Planning to overclock?

Open to it if required. Not particularly though.

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?

Win 10. Have a Win 8 license key so will upgrade via that.

5. How much hard drive space is needed?

Have a couple of spare 1TB drives. I suppose a boot SSD drive would be beneficial?

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.

Already have a full hd 24" monitor.

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?

Monitor, kbd + mouse, speakers etc.

8. When are you planning to buy the system?

Within a week or two.

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?

Have built multiple computers before. Will build it myself.

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?

Delhi. Online is great, Nehru Place is across the street but would still prefer online.

11. Anything else which you would like to say?

I'd like the case to be in an HTPC form factor but if the price difference is drastic, i'd rather spend the money towards higher end specs.

Same goes for the GPU. If i can spend that money towards a higher end CPU right now, i'd rather get the GPU later. I don't plan to game on the machine to a high end GPU isn't critical i believe?

Would like a minimum of 4 storage bays.

Have been recommended this rig. Any suggestions / modifications you guys would want to pitch in? Thanks.

Processor Intel Xeon E3 1246 v3 21,000
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-H81M-S1 3,500
Memory Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB 1600MHz 3,300
Power Supply Antec VP550P 3,800
Cabinet Corsair SPEC-01 3,700
Total 35,300

Back