Hyper Cheap LED Bulb - worth the pain?

Don't go for the cheap ones because they don't provide the same light output (lumens) as same wattage branded ones.

I have a 10w no brand LED bulb which gives the same light as 3w syska installed in my aquarium.

Apart from that the syska bulb has given me solid 15 hrs daily usage for 2 years and is still going strong (thats >10000 hrs!). So I'd really recommend spending a little more and getting good ones.

Don't go for the cheap ones because they don't provide the same light output (lumens) as same wattage branded ones.

I have a 10w no brand LED bulb which gives the same light as 3w syska installed in my aquarium.

Apart from that the syska bulb has given me solid 15 hrs daily usage for 2 years and is still going strong (thats >10000 hrs!). So I'd really recommend spending a little more and getting good ones.

How bright is your syska?
I study quite a bit so will obviously need a Cool hyperbright bulb while reducing power

A couple of months ago, I bought 10 "Mehai" 9w LED bulbs for about Rs. 120 a bulb from Amazon, and have had no issues with them so far. They're a bit brighter than an 18w CFL.

I haven't used any other LED bulb, so I can't compare them with the Rs.500-700 good brand bulbs, but I'm getting the output of about a 20-22 CFL, from a bulb that costs about 30-40% less, uses half the power, and is supposed to last 3-5x times as long.
Read the user reviews before buying because not all LED's are the same.

Last edited:
Can someone post real figures about no. of units consumed reducing after replacing CFLs with LED bulbs? Time for me to start buying LED bulbs, as electric charges are increasing every year

^^ internet is full of such numbers (wattage Vs lumens). but you can get real life figures with a power meter. i could've done it for you but i don't have any CFLs in my house.

14W LED = 40W CFL?

from where did you get that ridiculous comparison? LEDs too have their own form of power losses, like AC-to-DC conversion and then heat dissipation. indeed, LEDs are more efficient and long lasting than CFLs but a 14W LED just can't replace a 40W CFL in 2016.
LEDs have better Lumen per watt, hence the comparison. So basically you can get same light from a 7W LED as you get from a 14W CFL.
Similarly, when it comes to work lights, a 200W LED bar is as good as a 2000W Halogen bulb when it comes to illumination. However, LEDs have a higher entry cost.
That's why the govt is providing LEDs at a subsidized rate these days because it helps in reducing the load.
In my single-phase village supply, a 40W tube light flickers when voltage fluctuates but I replaced it with 2 7W LEDs and I get the same amount of light at a lighter load on the electricity supply.

I have switched my entire house to Philips LED's. The Warm Yellow colour looks just like a Incandescent Bulb and the Light is equal to 10x the Wattage

I.e. 2.7w Philips Candle is easily equal to a 25w. Plus if you take the cheap white plastic on top off, the color and light, are much better

PS: I have also tried cheap Yellow LED Bulbs, but the quality is soo bad when compared to Philips

or you could've just used a 28watt T5 tube 5 years ago... and FYI, 2x14 = 28!
and just to rub salt on your wounds, people used 40watts tubes in ancient times.

how come your comparison changed from 1x14w to 2x14w?
How come you became so obsessed with me

Have paisa buy 10000w led but dont be misanthropic .

I am happy using 2 philips 14w bulbs in place of a tube in my living room.

^^ you were spreading wrong info and i thought i had to correct you. Can you prove that a 14w LED outputs same lumens as a 40w CFL?

I have no issues with what you use in your house. Just don't spread mindless info.

I have purchased Eveready 12w led at a very cheap price in paytm (16rs/watt) . It has replaced the kitchen lighting and a small 10x10 room. I would say led is certainly brighter than tubelight. The reason is as we put more hours on the tubelight the electro luminescent coating decays hence reducing light output. The same applies to CFL as it works on the same principle. By 6 months philips lifemax 36watt 3* rated tubelight is less brighter than LED bulb of 12W which is rated 100 lumen/watt and tubelight is rated 72 lumen/watt average. Also led reduces its brightness to 90% after 10000 hrs of running

just received my 14w bulbs Extremely sorry i misguided everyone. 1 14w bulb = 82w t5 tube.

Buy and check yourself
^^ you were spreading wrong info and i thought i had to correct you. Can you prove that a 14w LED outputs same lumens as a 40w CFL?

I have no issues with what you use in your house. Just don't spread mindless info.

1 14w bulb = 82w t5 tube.
thanks... i'll put that in my suicide note :p

Buy and check yourself
it's your first experience with LED bulb but sadly, my 5th year. when we built our new house 5 years ago, we installed 230 4watt concealed LEDs. maybe, you don't know but LEDs by design work as spotlight, they need diffusers/lenses to make them usable for in-house lightening. unfortunately, i don't have any regular bulb holders to install your 14w life-changing LED bulb. so i can't check your claims at this moment... may be in next lifetime.

Back