Car & Bike Hyundai to launch a compact SUV called ix25 to take on EcoSport, Duster

AMG

Skilled
Hyundai has finally confirmed that it will bring in a compact SUV to Indian shores next year.
This confirmation comes from Rakesh Srivastava, Senior Vice President of Marketing and Sales as quoted to a pink daily. Based on the i20 platform, the SUV that is called ix25 might come in to take on the likes of the Ford EcoSport, Renault Duster and the Nissan Terrano.
The ix25 sports Hyundai's new fluidic design philosophy. Its design with the sweptback headlights, aggressive front air intakes, large front sump guard and roof rails, seems to draw its inspiration from its elder sibling, the ix35.
The model that was unveiled at the 2014 Beijing Motor Show was equipped with the Nu 2.0-litre engine, but in India we expect it to come with the 1.6-litre petrol and diesel mill that works force in the Fluidic Verna.
To keep a check on the cost and make the most out of the subsidies, Hyundai might also plonk the 1.4-litre CRDI unit from the i20. Like all other models in its line-up one can expect this one also to be loaded with features.
The 4,270mm long ix25 will not fall in the sub4-metre category and will not be able to reap the benefits of the subsidies.

hyundai-ix25-2-side.jpg

hyundai-ix25-1-headlights.jpg

hyundai-ix25-3-rear.jpg

A quick comparo between the two, courtesy http://daily.bhaskar.com/article/HW...yundai-ix25-vs-ford-ecosport-4594058-PHO.html

Ford EcoSport has got an overall confident and straightforward stance that makes it stand out, despite the fact that it measures just under 4-metres, it never lets you feel the same. At front wrap around headlights appear focused and fog-lamp casing bears chrome border that adds to the appeal of the vehicle. The butch factor comes in with large trapezoid front grille that makes it look big upfront. Whilst character cues flowing at bonnet slickly joins A-pillar and thereafter reaches rear of Ford EcoSport.

The side profile has flared wheel arches, 16-inch tyres and elevated dimension, all this at each stance, try to quash the fact that it’s a compact car. The ORVMs have mounted indicators, while the sporty roof rail-like finish at the top, grey plastic cladding and exquisite looking spare wheel mounted at tail gives the true feel of mannish SUV.

Firstly, the Hyundai ix25 is a one-of-a-kind presentation from Hyundai Motors and is not restricted to a sub 4-metre criterion and this makes the expectation stage larger than anticipated. The overall dimensions seem inspired from elder siblings Hyundai ix35 and Hyundai Santa Fe which means it boasts a lot of authority when it comes to competition.

The Hyundai Fluidic Sculpture 2.0 is very welcoming and makes it appear finesse in addition to sway at the same time. The frontage gets hexagonal grille and dashing clear enwrapped LED-lined headlamps, large front bumper has big fog-lamp alongside large air dam and silver skid plate.

At sides Hyundai ix25 resembles premium Audi Q5 with its sporty roofline. The rear is kept simple with high mounted tail lamps and stepped tailgate, whereas bumpers have skid plate alongside integrated twin-exhaust pipes.

Being an under 4-metre, one may think about congested space inside. But this perception is proven wrong one you enter the cabin, which is surprisingly airy and the ingress/egress is effortless with appropriate height of Ford EcoSport. The front row characteristics are mostly borrowed from Ford Fiesta sedan, the broad sized dual-tone dash of grey-n-black combo makes it pleasing.

The central console has blue display screen, chrome door handles and AC vents. The plush 3-spoke steering wheel has mounted audio controls with silver insertions, while the gadgetry and display includes innovative SYNC system, average-fuel indicator, climate controls, powerful AC and voice control for phone and music players, etc. The rear row has sufficient legroom and headroom alongside many storage options which comprises of handy under-seat stowage. There is decent boot considering a sub 4-metre which can be increased by rear row folding option.

On the inside of Hyundai ix25, we expect the reworked underpinnings to be borrowed from Hyundai i20 and Hyundai Verna, which means we are expecting luxurious and innovative attributes.

As per some spied interior pics the dash is in single tone, and with new design element, the central console is kept squarish and angular rather than curvy as seen earlier in Hyundai sedans. The room seems ample to carry 5 passengers. The material used in the seats look comfy, while the driver’s and co-driver’s seat may have adjust option alongside drivers arm rest. As per the pic, steering wheel gets media switches and climate control mounted on it, whilst fuel saving start-stop button was also spotted.

Other features may include all-4 power windows, hi-quality music player, Bluetooth, AUX-in interface, powerful front and rear AC vents, cooled glove box etc.

There are in all 3 engine offerings in Ford EcoSport. The 1.0L EcoBoost powertrain delivers exciting power of 125PS at 6000rpm alongside peak torque of 170Nm at 1400-4500rpm. This engine is coupled with 5-speed manual transmission. The other petrol mill is of 1499cc that generates 112PS of good power at 6300rpm and peak torque of 140Nm at 4400rpm.

Here there are two transmission to choose from, one is 5-speed manual and other is 6-speed automatic transmission gearbox. The diesel 4-cylinder, 1.5L engine is mated to 5-speed manual gearbox and outpours maximum power of 91PS at 3750rpm and utmost torque of 204Nm at 2000-2750rpm.

As of now, Hyundai has not made any official statement when it comes to engine offering in Hyundai ix25. But there are speculations that it may hold a revived or existing Hyundai i20 engine.

The one showcased at 2014 Beijing Motor Show is said to have unknown 2.0L petrol engine. However for India, both are estimated, diesel as well as petrol powertrains. Hence best choice will be Hyundai i20’s 1.2L, Kappa petrol engine that gives out 84bhp of maximum power at 5200rpm and peak torque of 116Nm at 4000rpm, while the diesel version might hold the 1396cc CRDi diesel engine that generates maximum power of 90bhp at 4000rpm along with 224Nm of peak torque at 1750rpm.

The 1.5L Ti-VCT petrol engine returns with fuel efficiency between 10kmpl to 14kmpl on city roads and highways respectively. The Ford EcoSport diesel powered 1.5L engine delivers 15kmpl-19kmpl depending upon the driving conditions.

Likewise, eco-friendly 999cc Ecoboost petrol engine too churns out truly reasonable figures that read 11kmpl to 15kmpl, while the 1.5L petrol engine with AT delivers an approx. mileage ranging from 10kmpl to 12.95kmpl.

With Hyundai i20’s 1.2L petrol engine the Hyundai ix25 is expected to deliver 14kmpl and 18kmpl in city traffic and on long routes. And the frugal 1.4L diesel engine will give out 16kmpl and 20kmpl on city roads and highways respectively.

It will be a treat to watch the two beasts taking on each other when the Hyundai ix25 takes on the Indian roads.

“The Creta has been designed and developed in Korea while our engineers in Hyderabad and Chennai have played an important role in customising it for the Indian conditions,” Hyundai Motor India (HMIL) Senior Vice-President Sales and Marketing Rakesh Srivastava told PTI.

He said: “As of now, we are present in the SUV segment in the premium category with Santa FE and i20 Active, a sports-styled version. With Creta, we are entering the full-fledged volume segment of SUVs.”

While he declined to put a figure on the expected sales of the upcoming model, Srivastava said, “The SUV segment in India is witnessing sales of about 11,200 units per month, but it has been seeing a decline in sales of about 6 per cent in the last five months. With Creta, we are hoping to turn it around with positive sales growth.”

“Hyundai Creta will be an influential global model for the Hyundai Motor brand in one of the fastest-growing vehicle segments, helping the company reach out to many more consumers in new and established international markets,” it said, adding that the Creta name would be used for all the global markets.

Source: Financial Express

I have been following Creta (ix25 was better IMHO) for some time now and really waiting to see what pricing and for AWD.
I have driven the 1.6 diesel in Verna and what a turbo kick! If only a car had 4WD to harness that power instead of going haywire like the Verna. If they manage 4WD automatic on road at 11-12 lakhs... I'm sold. Not asking too much Hyundai, you got 90% localisation I hear....also maruti has started the S cross marketing campaign so hope to see you soon.

Good times coming up for urban SUV market. Looks like there will be really tough competition in this segment by the year end. Personally I like the urban SUV concept.

Back