i emailed TRAI to increase the broadband speed, you should also do so

viktik

Disciple
I have emailed TRAI to increase the broadband speed to 1024 Kbps or higher. I have given my reason why it should be increased.

You should also do so if you want the broadband speed to be increased sooner than later.

TRAI email address : ap@trai.gov.in

I had heard about this sort of a campaign elsewhere as well, and the first thing that came to the mind back then was an old Hindi saying, which translates to - Immature people/kids with access to dangerous things gonna either hurt themselves, or will end up injuring others.

I feel similarly after reading your childish idea as well.

I have emailed TRAI to increase the broadband speed to 1024 Kbps or higher

Once you have mentioned 1024 kbps, you have basically given TRAI an idea/excuse to bring a pathetic 'increment/revision' and get away with it. Given today's times vis a vis the type of data flowing around, India's standing on a global/asia basis, we deserve a whole lot more than just 1Mbps.

Secondly, any increment should be future proof to some degree. 1Mbps already is a joke, and future proofing is non existent.

You should discuss before taking steps which will have far reaching implications.

Considering the current minimum speed of broadband in india being 512 kbps and ever increasing usage & user base it should be increased to minimum 5 mbps.
But considering the infrastructure present 2 mbps is bare minimum.
1 mbps is shit.

But considering the infrastructure present 2 mbps is bare minimum.

One cannot set fresh speeds as standard with the current (broken) infrastructure in mind. Making a point to settle for nothing less than 5-10 Mbps (with periodic revisions) will make the providers either upgrade the lines, or decrease the tariffs of current plans. Customers paying through their nose for something like 2 Mbps is as stupid as vouching for 1-2 Mbps revision.

I had heard about this sort of a campaign elsewhere as well, and the first thing that came to the mind back then was an old Hindi saying, which translates to - Immature people/kids with access to dangerous things gonna either hurt themselves, or will end up injuring others.

I feel similarly after reading your childish idea as well.

Once you have mentioned 1024 kbps, you have basically given TRAI an idea/excuse to bring a pathetic 'increment/revision' and get away with it. Given today's times vis a vis the type of data flowing around, India's standing on a global/asia basis, we deserve a whole lot more than just 1Mbps.

Secondly, any increment should be future proof to some degree. 1Mbps already is a joke, and future proofing is non existent.

You should discuss before taking steps which will have far reaching implications.

May be he just meant the mail for his needs. :p

You and me want more and our op dint consider us but for himself :)

PS::Trolling intended

In my town, BSNL is the sole provider of wireline broadband. The ADSL 2+ connection speed I get is 2048Kbps download speed and 784 Kbps upload speed. I get 512 Kbps unlimited download, upload speed.

I had to share this 512 kbps with other members of family. I like watching youtube videos and upload a lot of it. So 512 Kbps is quite low for me. So I requested TRAI to increase the broadband speed to 1 Mbps or more. Since ADSL speed is capped to 2 Mbps here I won't be getting more than that unless BSNL upgrades their hardware.

Lets look at bandwidth requirement of India urban population

Urban Population of India = 41,92,34,061

If each house has six members in family then total number of urban houses = 41,92,34,061/6 = 6,98,72,343

If each urban house requires 1 Mbps internet speed then approx total bandwidth requirement of India urban population = 69872343 Mbps = 69872 Gbps

Using latest 100 Gbps Fiber optic Ethernet technology, the number of fiber optic ribbons required to install = 699

I don't think any company will install 699 fiber optic cables as backbone internet for INDIA. All telecom companies combined can layout 699 fiber optic cables and can provide 1 Mbps internet connection to all urban houses.

Maximum number of fiber optic cable a company will install as backbone = 100

So maximum bandwith achieved of backbone using 100 fiber optic cable = 10000 Gbps = 10 Tbps

How many indians can get constant 1 Mbps internet speed using 100 Fiber optic cable backbone network = 1,00,00,000 = 1 crore

India international submarine cable link combined maximum bandwidth = 150 Tbps

How many indians can get constant 1 Mbps internet speed using 150 Tbps bandwidth = `15,00,00,000 = 15 crore

So maximum of 15 crore homes can get constant 1 Mbps ( 1 Mbps upload & 1 Mbps download ) internet connection speed if 150 Tbps backbone internet capacity is installed.

India has 400 million 10-24 year-olds which will use most of the internet bandwidth.
To provide each of 400 million a 4 Mbps internet connection the total bandwidth required is 400,000,000 * 4 Mbps = 1,600,000,000 Mbps = 1600000 Gbps
It is not possible now to provide 4 Mbps to each youth in India.

In near future 400 Gbps fiber optic Ethernet will be available. But it won't be enough to provide 4 Mbps connection to 400 million youth of India.

Last edited:
You should realize that not everyone is using 'all the bandwidth, all the time'. And that's why a total of 100Mbps bandwidth can be used for even a 1000 users at 1Mbps per user.
And that's how telecom companies work.

By year 2010 TRAI came with the idea of 2 Mbps symmetric bandwidth. But they haven't been able to implement it till now.

In small towns BSNL is only sole provider of landline broadband. But Reliance Jio will change the game in next two years. BSNL will be finished in next few years.

Back