I have a SPDIF port in my TV. What cable do I need to connect speakers?

pom99

Disciple
HI all

I have a SPDIF port in my smart TV (with dolby digital audio). I want to buy speakers which will connect to the TV as well retain the digital audio output. I was contemplating buying speakers within 20K and zeroed in on the Logitech Z906. What will I need to connect these speakers to my TV and to retain the dolby digital effects? I am confused between coaxial and toslink cables. What do I exactly need? I am a noob in the matter of cables so please advise.

In case I buy other speakers like F&D t60X or Philips SPA9080B, how do I connect them to the TV?

Visited chroma and reliance digital but the showroom guys had no clue about the cables. They simply kept talking about aux which I know will not retain the digital aspect of the sound in output.

Thanking all in advance

Depends on the port - if its an optical, you need TOSLINK, while if like COAX, you need RCA cables.

Secondly, digital aspect of sound - I find this to be technical BS. Unless you are looking at 5.1 stuff, most do only 2.1 which can be done via AUX as well.

I would advice to see what is the input source.

If your speakers do not do SPDIF, then you need a convertor. If you have not yet bought a speaker system, go for one which supports HDMI passthrough ideally.

They simply kept talking about aux which I know will not retain the digital aspect of the sound in output.

What? Analog is way better than digital for quality. In analog, you will get full quality output. If that spdif port has a red light in it, its toslink. I have used both toslink and spdif and imo, the analog was better sounding for bass and treble both. In the digital, the bass was lower. Maybe it was due to low quality digital to analog converter i used. In digital, no matter what hifi 1000 dollar cable or system you use, in the end it is converted to analog to play on speakers. No way around it.

edit: i don't know why you want to spend 20k on listening to tv sound. at the most its 485KBps AAC. Its not flac or any hifi audio output. Even normal 5.1 speakers will do the job. And most channels have even lower audio quality like 96KBps audio. Even their youtube channels have that horrible audio and video quality. If you think I'm joking, take a good pair of headphones and listen to the tv. You'll know what I mean.

Last edited:
Hi folks,

thanks for your responses. I have attached the image of the SPDIF port on my TV and a link to the TV I own.

If that spdif port has a red light in it
I don't think it has.
Depends on the port - if its an optical, you need TOSLINK, while if like COAX, you need RCA cables.
The point of asking you guys is exactly that - I don't know if it is optical or COAX.
i don't know why you want to spend 20k on listening to tv sound. at the most its 485KBps AAC. Its not flac or any hifi audio output. Even normal 5.1 speakers will do the job. And most channels have even lower audio quality like 96KBps audio.
I should have clarified this in the beginning but I use my TV to watch movies from my external HDD and the secondary purpose is to watch Netflix and Youtube. I don't watch TV channels on the TV. So, I want to experience / replicate the cinema hall experience as far as possible in my budget. Logitech Z906 seemed nice because it is THX certified. Again, as I said in the past, I am a noob in these matters and I look forward to the knowledgeable opinion of you learned sirs and ma'ams.

P.S. So based on the image and my purpose of using the TV, please feel free to suggest speakers for me and of course the vexing question of which cable to use!

This is a link to the TV I own - https://www.sanyoappliance.in/49-inches-full-hd-led-smart-tv-xt-49s8100fs/[DOUBLEPOST=1511773630][/DOUBLEPOST]
What is input ? DTH ? Media Player ?
I am looking to buy speakers.

Attachments

• SPDIF ed.jpg
    SPDIF ed.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 299
Last edited:

I meant source of content you would be consuming.

You can think of home theater too if you are going to use HDD over dedicated Android Box/media player and have other devices to be used with TV such as consoles. I was somewhat in similar boat couple of years ago looking for speakers which would go great with my TV, desktop and console. I settled with Yamaha HT196 and I could not be happier. Best part is HDMI pass through. With three HDMI inputs, you can use TV as display device and enjoy audio over speakers connected to HT. This also helps managing connection easily as you can connect various devices in those 3 HDMI inputs and just switch input source on HT. One nifty feature with Chromecast enabled on Gaana.com, you can just plug Chromecast in to one of HDMI port and control music from your phone without even turning ON TV. Speakers which came bundled with HT, are connected in 'analog way'.

Hi folks,

thanks for your responses. I have attached the image of the SPDIF port on my TV and a link to the TV I own.

I don't think it has.

The point of asking you guys is exactly that - I don't know if it is optical or COAX.

I should have clarified this in the beginning but I use my TV to watch movies from my external HDD and the secondary purpose is to watch Netflix and Youtube. I don't watch TV channels on the TV. So, I want to experience / replicate the cinema hall experience as far as possible in my budget. Logitech Z906 seemed nice because it is THX certified. Again, as I said in the past, I am a noob in these matters and I look forward to the knowledgeable opinion of you learned sirs and ma'ams.

P.S. So based on the image and my purpose of using the TV, please feel free to suggest speakers for me and of course the vexing question of which cable to use!

This is a link to the TV I own - https://www.sanyoappliance.in/49-inches-full-hd-led-smart-tv-xt-49s8100fs/[DOUBLEPOST=1511773630][/DOUBLEPOST]

The site says SPDIF COAX

upload_2017-11-27_15-22-28.png

I believe the Logitech has COAX in, so you should be good to go with it.

It looks like normal 75ohms tv antenna port to me and not spdif port. what make model is your tv? do you have the manual of it?

okay, saw the tv manual. it is an spdif port. go with what vivek said. you need a coax cable.

Looking at the image you posted i cant make out whether you need

https://www.amazon.in/AmazonBasics-4-Feet-Digital-Audio-Coaxial/dp/B01D5H8TS4

or this

https://www.amazon.in/CABLESETC-Metal-Plugs-Coaxial-Connectors/dp/B077PFT2XV

Edit, look at the spdif port in this amazon listing. does the tv's spdif port look like that?

https://www.amazon.in/CABLESETC-Digital-Coaxial-Cable-meters/dp/B0191IBXXE

Last edited:
It looks like normal 75ohms tv antenna port to me and not spdif port. what make model is your tv? do you have the manual of it?

okay, saw the tv manual. it is an spdif port. go with what vivek said. you need a coax cable.

Looking at the image you posted i cant make out whether you need

https://www.amazon.in/AmazonBasics-4-Feet-Digital-Audio-Coaxial/dp/B01D5H8TS4

or this

https://www.amazon.in/CABLESETC-Metal-Plugs-Coaxial-Connectors/dp/B077PFT2XV

Edit, look at the spdif port in this amazon listing. does the tv's spdif port look like that?

https://www.amazon.in/CABLESETC-Digital-Coaxial-Cable-meters/dp/B0191IBXXE

I will post a better image here tonight. Hopefully, that will help to clear the confusion.[DOUBLEPOST=1511779584][/DOUBLEPOST]
The site says SPDIF COAX

View attachment 72909

I believe the Logitech has COAX in, so you should be good to go with it.
Thank you.

I meant source of content you would be consuming.

You can think of home theater too if you are going to use HDD over dedicated Android Box/media player and have other devices to be used with TV such as consoles. I was somewhat in similar boat couple of years ago looking for speakers which would go great with my TV, desktop and console. I settled with Yamaha HT196 and I could not be happier. Best part is HDMI pass through. With three HDMI inputs, you can use TV as display device and enjoy audio over speakers connected to HT. This also helps managing connection easily as you can connect various devices in those 3 HDMI inputs and just switch input source on HT. One nifty feature with Chromecast enabled on Gaana.com, you can just plug Chromecast in to one of HDMI port and control music from your phone without even turning ON TV. Speakers which came bundled with HT, are connected in 'analog way'.
Thank you.[DOUBLEPOST=1511800687][/DOUBLEPOST]Hi here are the best views of the spdif port that I could capture. A bit of it does jut out from the back of the panel but probably it is not noticeable in the images.
spdif 1.jpg
spdif 2.jpg

Last edited:
Normally speakers last for years. Not much can go wrong. If you like that Logitech model, test the sepakers in the shop & buy. To get decent sound, you need amplification. Either a separate AVR or powered monitors would be better. When the term "amplification" is used, don't automatically think of "loud"; amplifier helps in greatly increasing the "clarity" aspect also.

Back