I have to quit smoking!

Aman27deep said:
why did you start it in the first place you idiot?
^^
Kurt Cobain smoked, Alexi Laiho smokes ....Some of the greatest men in the world smoke/have smoked :p
I thought smoking would help me through depression,stress and all ...I was just a fool ...Finally you have to take things in your hand.. :)

I have "cut down" is humbug.
Not even nicorettes or patches.
There is no "i have to quit smoking."

There is only "I have quit smoking."

Once you quit, you have to hold a vendetta against even touching a ciggie/beedi. :p

If one ever gets the urge or mild thought that just one today won't harm me, say to yourself- "If i touch another ciggie/beedi, then the person i know as my father is not my father. I am a effin bustard if i ever touch a ciggie/beedi again."
Works great especially if you are a lil weak on will power to give up Wills power. :p

Try the hindi version- works better.
Cannot reproduce it here as it's NSFAA. :p
I may PM you the unholy slogan/mantra though, if you request for it. :lol:

I started to smoke while I was in class X. By the time I was in my 2nd semester - I was consuming twenty sticks a day. While in USA I used buy Marloborro UL in cartons (it is cheaper comparable to buying in packs) and consume on an average 50 sticks a day.I was nick named - Le Tabac - in USA.
I had tried several times to stop smoking - trying nicotine patches, chewing gums, ayurvedic and homeopathic medicines etc.
I did not succeed.
My son was detected with juvenile asthma while he was three and the doctor told me that only way to cure his asthma is for me to stop smoking completely. He also assured me that it is possible to cure juvenile asthma permanently. Once he carries with asthma into his teens then there is no cure.
I suddenly decided to stop smoking altogether while coming back from office one day. Threw the remaining packs into the river nearby and decided to give a serious try. I have not touched the cigarette for last one year and 9 months. The best part is that my son has not had his asthma attack for one full year. The pediatrician says that most likely he is cured of asthma.
Yes it is possible to STOP. All you need to do is decide to stop smoking and then say no to it the first time and every time after that. Do that for the sake of your near and dear ones.

@manoja2k I will remember this every time there a urge to smoke...
An excellent step:happy:
Believe me, it can be the greatest gift I can give to my loved ones. My father left this world with the dream to see me quit smoking. I disappointed him.
But I see the pride in the eyes of my mother when she narrates my achievement before others. Even my boss seems to be proud of this - he keeps on narrating this in almost every meetings with different clients. Actually this embarrasses me of late.
Create a hatred for cigarette and the cigarette smoke. It will make urges less powerful (this method has its own peril - likely to get into brawls in bars or even in public places).
Also remember not to be dependent on any other alternatives esp. gutkha, pan bahar, betel nuts etc. Low sugar chewing gums helped me to successfully cross 90-day milestone. But my jaws ached, so I gave up on chewing gums. After that no other alternatives.

Last edited:
It mostly depends on willpower. I smoked for timepass/hobby :p had left it for like 2 years then again started it and now again away from it for around 2 months. If you really have in your mind then you will succeed in quitting it.

Yes, willpower is the only thing that is required to succeed in this attempt. There is no other way AFAIK.
But I am not sure if quitting it and restarting it is a good way to do it. I also don't think doing so proves that you have strong willpower.
BTW, prior to final quitting I had stopped smoking for 366 days just to win a challenge with two of my colleagues. I then restarted casually with one or two sticks a day and suddenly one day I realized that I have already smoked a complete 20s pack of Gold Flake Kings in half a day. I laughed this off and removed all restraints for my smoking till I saw my tiny tot coughing and wheezing every time I came close to him. It was like as if I was trying to blow a bag of cement into his lungs every time I tried to hold him or come close to him.

Last edited:
Don't ever watch the movie "Thank you for Smoking"...
although I don't smoke it is one of my fave movie...
Teaches the way to convince people.

God helped me quit it after smoking for over 10 years. Until He showed me His Grace, I really enjoyed smoking and did not even considering kicking the habit. This is what I know, even though I knew it was bad for me, God took away the urge and my dependence on the smoking habit which consumed my time, made me restless and turned my health from bad to worse. It's been more than a year now since I puffed that one last cigarette and till today, He helped me overcome. Take this as my testimony :) I know this is not a Christian forum, but consider it as a post from a techie who follows Jesus Christ.

Dunno why people wanna quit smoking. It reduces the weight so effectively.
I mean i dont smoke, but people tell me the weight reduction really happens. One lung at a time. And then gradually proceeds to other things..

I am trying hard for the past year and have gradually decreased the habit. My aim till next year is to eradicate it all together.

Your method is works till something pressurises you, then you will not notice how gradually your quota increased...

The cold turkey is the way to quit, working for me since last 10 days..

Yea, before quitting...I tried the "cut-down" method for years. It never worked. Cold Turkey is what it has to be.

Back