I make custom mechanical keyboards

Harshit Goel

Recruit
how much does it cost to make a custom keyboard compared to buying one from aliexpress?
It depends on what you want to make.
CASE and keycaps are the biggest deciding factors.

I will take GH60 as a prime example for this.

A basic plastic case for GH60 will cost roughly 10USD. A lot more premium Aluminum case will cost around 120USD. And you get what you pay for. If you look outside the Chinese market, you get cases that cost like 300 to 400$ just for the case. Google FJELL case if you want to see how a 300$ case looks like.

Keycaps: There are again a very big range that you can spend on keycaps. A generic cheap PBT keycaps will cost around 10USD. But there are many quality keysets from enjoypbt (60 to 80usd), and Maxkey (80 to 120usd).
Again going outside of Chinese market, there is GMK (130 to 200usd) and Signature Plastic(150USD onwards)

Switches are based of personal taste, and they do also make difference is cost but then if you don't use what you like, custom keyboard don't really make sense. But still they can cost from 20cents(Gateron or Outemu) to 90cent(Zealios) per switch

The PCB in Chinese markets over around 30USD.

But basically the starting point is around 60USD. This does not include the cost required for tools, which are soldering iron, solder wire.

how much did akaar.org charge you for the keyboard cases? how is their service?
Their service is good. I have used there Lazer cutting services twice. Once for acrylic and once for Stainless steel.
They refused to cut less than 2mm circles.

If you need smaller circles, you should look for workbench projects, they are a maker space which allows you to use the tools yourself as well they make it for. But they only cut acrylic.

Workbench has better tolerance than akaar.org but their customer service could be improved.

This is super cool.

I've always wanted a mech KB, but couldnt justify the cost. I amy spring some money and start small with the Anne Pro, though the largest thing holding me back is the lack of dedicated arrow keys (which can be mapped using key remapping IIRC).

Where are you based out of?[DOUBLEPOST=1515172680][/DOUBLEPOST]Edit:

You must love /mechanicalkeyboards :)

This is super cool.

I've always wanted a mech KB, but couldnt justify the cost. I amy spring some money and start small with the Anne Pro, though the largest thing holding me back is the lack of dedicated arrow keys (which can be mapped using key remapping IIRC).

I am based in Bangalore.

and by /mechanicalkeyboars you mean the subreddit. I have been part of that reddit for more than a year. I came here because I realised, India community does not know about DIY Custom keyboards. So want to change that. And for that i need techenclave's community help
I

Excellent looking keyboards... solid work indeed.
thank you :)

This is super cool.

You need to check out Magicforce68. its what my white marble keyboard is based of.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes i do mean the subreddit. I dread going on the sub since i get too tempted to get a KB.

Just last night, after viewing your post, i almost pulled the trigger on the Anne Pro.

Im holding out, and hoping for a fall in price of the CM MasterKeys Pro S, since i like that more (baring the caps).

Yes i do mean the subreddit. I dread going on the sub since i get too tempted to get a KB.

Just last night, after viewing your post, i almost pulled the trigger on the Anne Pro.

Im holding out, and hoping for a fall in price of the CM MasterKeys Pro S, since i like that more (baring the caps).

You might be interested in getting a Custom DZ60 built instead on Anne Pro. You will loose the bluetooth connectivity but you will gain program-ability and customization options. a complete build should cost you near the Anne Pro.

Wow I never expected to see someone in India crazy about custom mech keyboards. I mean the cost to build up a good one isn't for many of us haha. I like to lurk around the r/mechanicalkeyboard sub and gaze at the beauties.
Anyway do you happen to have any Gateron Brown switches? I would like to try that and Cherry MX Brown and see for myself what the real difference is. Also do you offer custom keyboard building services? If yes I might contact you soon. I've been looking for 60%-65% for a while now. Cooler Master has a Masterkeys S keyboard but not really liking it. I want it to have a White/Blue LED and Gateron Brown/any GOOD quality brown switches. Any idea how much it would cost to build one? I would also like some custom keycaps made as well. For the ESC and some other keys. Thanks man.

PS: something like this https://www.amazon.com/Mechanical-Keyboard-68-Keys-Magicforce-Qisan/dp/B01ABUJ2KM
with keycap color scheme like this https://m.banggood.com/61-Key-ANSI-...or-GH60-60-Mechanical-Keyboard-p-1163283.html

Magicforce68 is an excellent keyboard which you can use as a starter board. There is only one problem that I find with it, the case top is very thin, so even a silent tactile keycap will result in lot of noise

Moz is legendary...... though it seems he is not active anymore.
I tried to build a TKL with his case, but the PCB and parts were expensive.

When was the Meet held ? is it regular or was it one off ?

Hey, I happened to read this today, and I just ordered a CM MasterKeys Pro S as well for 6k. So if a fall in price is what you were looking for, and if you're still looking, go for it buddy!
Hope this helps.

Edit: I ordered a Masterkeys Pro L - sorry if I got your hopes up :)

Last edited:
Back