Budget Above 25K I phone X, Samsung S8, LGV30

gautham4

Recruit
Hi Guys,
I am in a big dilemma. Last month i almost bought S8. But I thought I would wait for I phone x and lgv30. My primary tasks are browsing, listening to music, kindle app. I have shortlisted the above 3.
1. Samung s8: I checked it out a lot of times. Somehow it didnt wow me. The age old backside design of the phone looks boring. Also, to me normal display looked better than the curved display
2. I phone x: Initially i thought it was very heavy, and also the notch at the top was a spoiler. But when i checked it out in an apple store, i was really impressed. It looked to be in a different league. But everyone is calling it overpriced. Is it really worth the hype?. While the budget is not a constraint, I dont want to buy something overpriced
3: LGV30: Finally heard that it will come to India in December. The reviews are very positive. Its only 158 grams, although its a 6 inch screen. My concern is that LG is not a common name in smartphone.
Would appreciate, if you could guys help me out.

First of all you are looking at two major camps/ecosystems. I believe you need to decide between them first.

iPX: At 89K its costly in India, if not overpriced. True that it's in different league but premium charged for that will be subjective opinion.
LG V30: Quite capable phone but reports are concerning its screen quality. Camera is no doubt great. It's design is also appealing. Also note that in 18:9 aspect ratio 6" screen size will not be as big as that of 16:9 aspect ratio. It is expected to launch near 48K mark. This phone also has bit of curved element in its designs though not screen but bezels.

For non-curved screen, you can LG G6 too. It went for as low as 28K during sales on Amazon.

Talking mainly about the iPhone ...

I usually do not recommend unbox therapy videos but he's absolutely right here.

OP5T beats the IPX hands down, the only thing missing is water resistance and wireless charging. but it costs less than half the IPX!

Also this video about the IPX UI which is just a horrible mess

Its a great phone but it is ridiculously expensive and has some glaring flaws and shortcomings... for that kind of price cannot be justified

Mainly the inconsistent UI, No home/fingerprint button, no fast charging capability out of the box, no headphone jack etc etc.

thanks a lot @vyral_143 @zibalingz for the replies
I am not particular about the ecosystem. Have already checked LG G6 out. Somehow not impressed. Yah I heard a lot of things about op5t. But rejected it too.
I have now excluded s8 also. So its between i phone x and lg 30. Its December 2nd and still no sign of lg 30 launch in India. Visited an apple store. The guy has no idea when the next batch will arrive. So I am trying to buy a phone that doesn't exist. Coming back to iphone, i wonder whether thers indeed a supply issue or its a trick to create more hype and also to make their i phone 7/8 stocks get sold. Because i find it very strange. At a time when all other players have enough stock of their phones, thers hardly any iphone x stock.

Coming back to iphone, i wonder whether thers indeed a supply issue or its a trick to create more hype and also to make their i phone 7/8 stocks get sold. Because i find it very strange. At a time when all other players have enough stock of their phones, thers hardly any iphone x stock.

Supplies would be limited till Q1 next year I believe. For now, any supply improvement is apparently being passed to USA and first world countries. Even in Hong Kong, which is quite large market for Apple phones (in % terms), its unavailable on official website.

thanks a lot @vyral_143 @zibalingz for the replies
I am not particular about the ecosystem. Have already checked LG G6 out. Somehow not impressed. Yah I heard a lot of things about op5t. But rejected it too.
I have now excluded s8 also. So its between i phone x and lg 30. Its December 2nd and still no sign of lg 30 launch in India. Visited an apple store. The guy has no idea when the next batch will arrive. So I am trying to buy a phone that doesn't exist. Coming back to iphone, i wonder whether thers indeed a supply issue or its a trick to create more hype and also to make their i phone 7/8 stocks get sold. Because i find it very strange. At a time when all other players have enough stock of their phones, thers hardly any iphone x stock.
Its available in hyderabad aptronix stores (if you're in hyd)

And while limiting the stock is a business tactic, however, in this case, it appears genuine. Many industry think tanks were reporting on OLED panel manufacturing and supply constraints well before iphone X was even formally launched.[DOUBLEPOST=1512365867][/DOUBLEPOST]
Mainly the inconsistent UI, No home/fingerprint button, no fast charging capability out of the box, no headphone jack etc etc.
UI will take some time. Already many app developers are in work to work with the notch.

Fast charging is enabled in new update.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would say that most Android flagships are at par or ahead of Apple in most, except maybe the X's camera/AR. So it all boils down to whether you can afford the X.

Coming to overpricing, if you can afford the brand, it's not overpriced. Apple has the reputation.

As for the supplies, yes there is a limit but that is because of supply constraints. I would suggest to wait for the device to come back in stock.

Off topic. Samsung S8 was what I wanted to buy. So I applied (and got) for an HDFC credit card for that 4k cashback. Then I dropped S8 from my list. Now they have 8k cashback if we buy from paytmmall. But I am not interested in S8 anymore, no matter what the discount is.
Now i phone x is available in flipkart. To my surprise its still not sold out. ( I thought it was going to be sold out in a few seconds, like all these so called flash sales). I see that they have 5k cashback on SBI credit card which i dont have :) . No I am not going to apply for a sbi card. I wonder how these companies decide on the banks to partner with. I was hoping it would be citi or hdfc. But they selected sbi
LG V30 confirmed for the 13th december. Hope they dont price it ridiculously high ( and give that so called free headset worth 18k)

I would say Minimum 59k, As the G6 was priced 56k on the launch day and after a month it was dropped to 44k and then after 3 month it was 38k and now 32k.
This is what I dont like about most the companies. I mean a big drop in the price soon after the launch. The original buyers will feel bad. Why cant they price sensibly and not drop price like that. That way, I think samung s8 held its price well although it was launched in april. Until this paytm offer which came only last week, the price drop is only 4k. ( additional 4k only for hdfc card). effectively its 0 price drop. because in the early days they had offers like free charger etc.

LG V30+ (128 gb) launched at 44,990 . Free wireless charger, free 1 time screen replacement. I think its a killer pricing. But still have to wait till the 18th. They say its amazon exclusive. Does anybody know if there is a way to check it before 18th?. Will it be available in retail outlets?. I dont want to buy something without seeing. I am still confused between lg30+ and iphone x ( which is at 81k after citibank cashback). I hate that notch in i phone x. If lg30 doesn't feel bulky, then mostly probably i will go for it.

Its been 3 days since lgv30+ launched. Not a single review in amazon. We cant check it out in physical outlets since its still amazon exclusive (;-
I dont get lg's strategy.
Meantime there was a news of iphone price hike due to import duty. But the price still hasnt changed. Looks apple has absorbed it. Also, iphone x is available in almost all stores now. I dont think the demand is as high as claimed.

May be. But i doubt they will pass on the increase of the new imports. On the other hand, google hasn't announced any price hike. In fact every other day they have this massive discount sale on flip kart. Pixel 2 effectively 40k from 61k mrp, and 2 xl 60k from 73k (after the cashback). Its hardly a month now. I wonder how the initial buyers will be feeling. Also, if they keep giving this offer every day, who will buy it on the days when the offer is not there. Not a good sales strategy.
I believe that those are the pieces that were imported before the notification. Else, the date of imposing it is maybe 1st Jan...

If you intend to sell the phone after sometime, keep in mind, LG will have no value.
I am not a fanboi & never intend to buy an iPhone, but for all their "overpricing", few brands like Apple & Bose retain amazing resale value. When it comes to selling a used phone, you would always find more than enough interested buyers for Apple phones.

Back