Android I think Nokia halved their chances in India

6pack

ex-Mod
I signed up for the Amazon Nokia 6 sale on Aug 23rd. But saw a youtube video made by tech guruji about what was wrong with the Nokia 6. After that saw another video of a Nokia 6 user who had bought the phone in the USA and had it for a week and he compared it to the Moto G5 plus which was available for almost same price and had SD625 processor. The camera seems to be good in daylight but now night or low light pics. Also the reviewer said there was some slight pause when opening apps from background which was not visible in Moto G5 plus or other phones like iPhone etc.

Now I'm having second thoughts on this phone. Already its half a year late and no one knows when it'll be out. Plus adding to the negatives, it has a lower end chip. Similar low end SD430 phones are sold at 6999-9999 price range by other manufacturers. The price difference for an aluminium body is too high imo. I don't think promising updates = the 4-5k price difference.

By the time this is out in September 2017 (hopefully), I think new phones will comes out by Lenevo or Moto or other companies who target that time period to bring out new phones.

And here I was only talking about the middle range Nokia 6. The Nokia 5 and 3 and 3310 are all even more low range phones with lesser specs. Nokia as usual charging more for less. But will it work in todays times with Redmi, Samasung, Vivo, Oppo, Huawei, Honor, etc who have managed to give out much better phones and still struggle to retain a foothold in the market? Nokia hasn't bought out any mind blowing deal or any awesome looking phone. Their phones still look like any other device. So nothing in the looks category too.

I think Nokia will get buyers only due to brand recognition and after some reviews (where people will compare it to similar phones in 12999-16999 range like Moto g5/g5+, Lenovo P2, Redmi Note 4, it will fall off a cliff. I mean all these phones are cheaper and have bigger battery and storage, better chips etc. In a price consious market I don't think they will last long.

What do you people think?

Nokia had been overpriced, but their R&D teams (earlier) used to make devices which were tough - I remember seeing a demo about it. However, it seems the new company has not done the same. I guess we should start writing Nokia off.

Nokia may only be able to survive in India due to their loyal customers to the brand else nothing is in favour of them in this price competing Indian mobile market.

Its just the nokia brand now. No product design or research or development happens in Finland. For all intents and purposes it's a chinese phone manufactured by a chinese company called HMD Global. There is no real reason to pay a premium.

Nokia may only be able to survive in India due to their loyal customers to the brand else nothing is in favour of them in this price competing Indian mobile market.
We are only loyal to our wallets and not to any brand.The other Chinese OEMs will eat Nokia alive.:(:(

They messed up once going with winmo instead of android. Else they might be on par or even beat samsung by now. Then they launched the disastrous X series in 2014. I completely gave up on them then. So now when they announced their new stuff i was like meh. Just like every sensible Indian. There will be some fanboys who would buy it for nostalgic etc. value, but they're dead in the water...

All have to pinpoint to great Stephen Elop...
If he hasn't forced to move to Windows, Meego would have ruled instead of android...
Anybody remember N9?
Note Bugger did it for his KRA from Microsoft.

Nokia had been overpriced, but their R&D teams (earlier) used to make devices which were tough - I remember seeing a demo about it. However, it seems the new company has not done the same. I guess we should start writing Nokia off.

My sony ericsson t100 dropped out of a 4th storey window on to hard concrete below. After powering on, the display would go all black after about 30 secs of screen on time, but everything else was working perfectly. I doubt any nokia can beat that.

Also what was the point of releasing a 3310 today which did not support 3g at least and no WhatsApp support . I think a 3g or even a 4g (if budget permitted them) phone at the 3310 price point with WhatsApp support would have been a hit for most battery concious users .

My cuz bought one for his son who's in the 11th standard. He specifically wanted only calls and no internet. I think they're nokia fanboys. waste of ~3k imo.

I was quite excited about Nokia's new Android phones when I read about them. And the technical specifications looked quite good for Nokia 3, 5 and 6, specially with the latest stock Android OS.

But, today I read Nokia 6 reviews, and I must say I am quite disappointed. I also came to know that these Nokia Android phones aren't from Nokia itself, but they have licensed their name to a Finnish startup company HMD, who is in partnership with Chinese company Foxconn. That's really disappointing.

I have been a fan of old Nokia phones... they were of excellent quality, and their hardware was really sturdy. You didn't had to worry if their phones dropped on the floor.. they were really tough. Their battery life was excellent too.

I was really disappointed when Nokia opted to go with Windows, rather than Android. If they had gone with Android, story might have been different.

Still, people will go for Nokia Android phones when they come out, since Nokia's name is there, and budget-wise they are great, and the specifications also look good... reviews however suggest that the specifications look good only on paper, but the phones experienced performance issues when operated.

According to what I read, Nokia 6 phones on Amazon have got 10 lakh registrations already, so there is quite a demand for the phone. Let's see how it goes when the phones actually arrive in their hands.

From what I have read, I am disappointed though. Nowadays, the Chinese phones have taken over the market, and I am not a big fan of Chinese phones at all, or anything from China. Chinese firms have been caught in controversy a lot of times, and I am really wary of Chinese products, specially electronics. You can read about malware in Lenovo laptops from company itself.. and that too more than once. That's not trustworthy at all. I was disappointed when Motorola was taken by Lenovo.

When Nokia's Android phones were announced with great specifications, I was excited since I thought that now a great alternatives to the Chinese phones is there, but alas, it has only been disappointment again.

My Nexus 5 is working great, but if I want to buy a new phone now, I cannot think of any good alternatives for a budget.

Its just the nokia brand now. No product design or research or development happens in Finland. For all intents and purposes it's a chinese phone manufactured by a chinese company called HMD Global. There is no real reason to pay a premium.
This. HMD also knows this and probably banking on it.

Back