CPU/Mobo i5 4670 or fx 6300/8320/8350, future-proofing

I was looking to upgrade from a C2D E4500 2.2Ghz and GT220, to a new CPU, capable of running games, decent fps, decent settings for the next 3 years (min). I'm confused between the mid and top tier AMD FX chips, and the i5 4670. Would the 4670 offer significant advantage over the FX or should I save the money for a better GPU?

Depends. For gaming or at least most of the usage of today, even the Ivy Bridge i5 should be good enough. The gains from Ivy to Haswell are about 10% on average. The major difference will be in the IGP, where, the gains would be much more.

If you plan to use the IGP at all, then Haswell is better.

Thanks a lot for the responses, first of all. :)
I was a bit confused between the FX chips and i5, because the GPU I could afford with an i5, would be outclassed by a GPU that I could buy with an FX 6300, in the same budget.
I would not be gaming at 1080p, probably on 1600*1200, and that too not on a regular basis as i usually use my 1280*1024 monitor, and i don't plan on using too much AA or other resourse intensive options, if that is what's required to get decent frame rates.

And , I agree that performance gains haven't been that substantial since Sandy Bridge, but considering that both the older and the current gen processors are available for almost the same prices, I'd take the Haswell then. Might have to rely on the IGP, for a month or two, till I save up for a graphic card, to play some games on low, i.e. if it's better than the GT220 I have

Would I be good to go for a couple of years with an HD7790 though?

hd7790 is great indeed at that resolution and settings
even with no AA or other eye candy my hd6770 give 50-60fps @1080p in crisis 3 @very high texture and low system spec

and go for sandy or ivy bridge i5, haswell board are not cheap here

AMD APUs are definitely way better than IGP, even with the improvements made by Haswell. But, i would definitely be getting a dGPU for sure, in a month after other purchases.
I've had difficulty in finding haswell boards cheap, but how about this one..
http://www.flipkart.com/msi-b85m-g4...NPBK&ref=1a1a83fa-9fc1-4e89-9c08-637abd6eef68

also, now with deciding on an i5 4670 (non k), I was thinking of going up to an HD 7850
http://www.flipkart.com/sapphire-am...7850&ref=24b9e643-7081-4d40-9b0c-484121604aa1

the only doubt i have here is that whether 1GB is going to be enough or not for the near future, even though i am definitely not going to exceed 1080p resolution

What PSU would be sufficient for running the above setup, coupled with 8gb ddr3 1333mhz kingston (2 sticks of 4gb)... and would i be needing an aftermarket cooler, when i am not going to be OCing any component?

All depends on your use. If you have to buy dedicated GPU then purpose will narrow down your CPU requirement. If you want to run some specific application which can make use of more core then FX will be helpful as both haswell and FX 83xx will cost you same, however FX will have higher TDP.

Don't go with any MSI component. Better to go with entry level mobo from Gigabyte/Asus for AMD or Haswell.
Chances might be that you will not have to buy dedicated GPU after using AMD APU inturn saving some bucks.

Last edited:
Well if you want to play the games for next three years i5 4670. cpu will be good but you need at least 2 Gpus to survive for the next three years as single gpu will only work for 1-2 years.

i5-3570k (14k)
intel z75ml 45k (4.5k)
hd7850 2GB 16k

all under 35k

btw whats your total budget
now it turns into a full rig question so a new thread will be better way to decide

@sky, thnxs 4 d heads up, not hearing positive things about MSI from my friends either
@future, 7970 is a much safer bet for the future than a 7850, but out of my budget. So, I'll have to go with the 7850.
@true genius.. I agree that this thread won't be any good for a full rig question. In fact, i made one in the PC Buying Advice section, but didn't get any replies:(
but i am actually looking to go with your suggestions. Upon realizing that any non MSI, decent motherboard costed a min of 6.5k coupled with a haswell i5 4670 for 15.2k, I decided to go 4 a 3rd gen i5.
i already have 4gb ddr3 1333mhz ram kingston, would be adding another compatible 4gb stick
i have a 500 GB WD Caviar Green, which would have to suffice for now, and I have the other basic components as well. The only thing I need is a PSU good enough for my new config
So, for the CPU+MB+GPU+PSU has to be >40k
btw, are the prices that you quote current, and if so, from where?
P.S. I live in Delhi

yes these prices are from delhi (cost to cost) and updated (z75 board is from flipkart)
i used cost to cost's pdf price list of 25/10/2013 (online price list available too)
http://nehruplaceonline.com/Dealer_Page.php?page=2&company=Cost To Cost Computer&DealerDID=25
www.costtocost.in/list/pricelist.pdf

cost to cost have z75 board but for 5.5k
but you can get that board from flipkart for 4.6k and cpu from other shops of nehruplace (their price will more or less equal to cost to cost)

for smps, corsair cx430v2 will be good

btw i already have that intel dz75ml-45k board (but didn't used because i am trying to arrange money for i5 but no luck so far :( )
in pics it won't be visible but its vrm have vrm heatsing mounting holes and leds to indicate throttling/thrashold temp, good for 4-4.5ghz overclock for ivy and sandy

also, i just saw that i5-3550 is available for 11k(+5%vat) at cost to cost (overclockable to 3.8ghz with turbo to 4.1 usin multipliyer)

@truegenius thnxs 4 d list.:happy: I upgraded my pc last time, by buying components, after scouting in Nehru Place. This intel mobo definitely seems a lot vfm, supporting overclocking at a cheap price. Though.. I'm still a bit unsure whether i'd go for overclocking or not. I may skip the 3570k for the non k version or might even get the 3550 if it's available for 11k (+5% VAT). But, thanks a lot for your advice. You really do seem to know a lot. I hope you get your i5 soon enough, for as Haswell becomes popular, the supply of 3rd gen Intel i5s may be affected negatively
@future , i've a 17'' 1280*1024 monitor, but i'd be gaming on my 40'' Samsung LED whenever i get the time, preferably at 1080p, but no hesitation in toning down a few details or the resolution, for upping the frame rates ;)

welcome :)
if i5-3550 @11k is not misstype then you can go for it ( it still have limited overclocking though in case it needs )
then you maybe able to include hd7870 or second hand hd7950

40" monitor *_*[DOUBLEPOST=1383034245][/DOUBLEPOST]@ Arpan Naithani
ygpm ;)

Last edited:
Back