Budget 41-50k i7 upgrade for gaming / streaming / video editing

ashrr

Adept
  1. What is your budget?
    • 40 to 50k
  2. What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
    • CPU - Intel i5 2500
    • Motherboard - Intel Dh67bl
    • GPU - GTX 970
    • RAM - Corsair Vengeance 8 GB
    • Monitor - LG 24GM77 144hz and some Viewsonic
    • PSU - Seasonic sii 620w
    • CPU Cooler - Hyper 212X
  3. Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
    • Monitor
    • PSU
    • GPU
    • Cooler
    • Hard Disks
  4. Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
  5. Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
    • No upgrades for a while
  6. Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
    • Chennai
    • Open to online purchase
  7. Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
    • No
  8. What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
    • Gaming
    • Streaming
    • Video Editing
  9. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
    • No
  10. If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
    • FPS - Overwatch
    • Single player games like Witcher 3 and a few others.
  11. What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
    1. Gaming - 1920x1080
    2. Desktop - 1920x1080
  12. Are you looking to overclock?
    • Yes? Isn't it pointless to buy an i7 6700k and then not overclock? I've never really overclocked before
  13. Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
    • Windows 10
I've got a bit of a peculiar requirement here. I'm mainly upgrading to play Overwatch at near 300 FPS. To go into a bit of detail, I play for a professional team and I will also be streaming regularly on Twitch and uploading my gameplay clips to Youtube on a regular basis.

Some might be wondering why I need such hardware for just one game. Well, the game has a few nasty quirks. The first one being that fluctuations in FPS (even above 150) cause input lag. It's been discussed to death on the forums, but Blizzard don't seem keen on fixing it any time soon. When you're playing at a high level, you really mostly on muscle memory for your aim and with my current rig, I miss a lot of shots that I was "supposed to hit". Also, benchmarks have shown that Overwatch uses i7s really well and perform better than i5s, even though it doesn't make much of a different in most games. http://www.techspot.com/review/1180-overwatch-benchmarks/page5.html

Secondly, people with high end rigs have reported strange FPS drops in hectic fights where a lot of abilities are used together, and nobody could figure out why. Then some people tried faster RAM without changing anything else and have reported that the fluctuations have disappeared for them (only applicable to rigs which are solid everywhere else though). Since I'm not gonna be upgrading for a long time, I don't mind spending a little more on faster RAM if it'll get me the performance I'm looking for. I'd ideally want stable 200+ fps WHILE streaming high quality video on Twitch.

Last edited:
Kind of OT here, i am also looking at the same cpu but the new 7th generation is around the corner how much performance upgrade is expected over i76700 k? i cannot wait for long though.

Kind of OT here, i am also looking at the same cpu but the new 7th generation is around the corner how much performance upgrade is expected over i76700 k? i cannot wait for long though.
i waited for skylake 9 months ago,i waited for haswell before that.
buy a 6700k as prices come down.u wont be let down

Back