Ideal no. of partition for 1tb

ashebouy

Disciple
What should be the Ideal no. of partition and size for 1tb HDD.

It will have 2 os windows 7 and ubuntu.

Mostly the sys will be used for playing games, movies, music.

You can easily manage Win7 and ubuntu in the sizes that you have mentioned. IIRC you will also need a swap partition for ubuntu which would have a similar size as your RAM.

Keep the rest of the space in a single partition and use folders to separate games/music/movies etc as you will eventually start installing games in the music partition or vice versa. If you still want to increase partitions, keep the Games partition before the movies/music as it will help with read/write speed(this is only applicable to HDDs and does not matter for SSDs).

I would keep a 100 gig windows and another 50 gig Ubuntu.and one 50 gig fat32 for easy transfer of files. I would also keep a 50 gig partition for backing up my os and software installations by Norton ghost.never defragment this partition.

No harm in doing so.
Have as many partitions as you want.

Better make the partitions using an xp cd
or else when u make the 5th partition during insallation it doesnt allow you.
and when you make the partition in disk management......all the disks would be converted to dynamic disks.........oh GOD why.

Better make the partitions using an xp cd
or else when u make the 5th partition during insallation it doesnt allow you.
and when you make the partition in disk management......all the disks would be converted to dynamic disks.........oh GOD why.

You can do so by using any partition tool.
Just after making 3 primary drives, do not create a primary drive but create a extended partition and then as many partitions as you want as logical partitions in the extended partition. This is called logical partition I suppose. Thats what the XP parition manager does after you create the first partition.

You can do so by using any partition tool.
Just after making 3 primary drives, do not create a primary drive but create a extended partition and then as many partitions as you want as logical partitions in the extended partition. This is called logical partition I suppose. Thats what the XP parition manager does after you create the first partition.

Even i have done that using third party but often then fail to start when you restart them....
have done that more than 10 times(worked at a pc service shop for more than 4 months).

Primary partiton only good for OS or we can use for storing data too ?
Suppose 1TB HDD.
60GB Primary for Win7 OS.
900GB (Primary or Extended/Logical ?) for data.
And rest for ubuntu.

Storing data/photos with primary OS partition is not recommended.

If the OS crashes so would your data partition - sometimes irrecoverably. With the OS partition is separated, you can recover/format/re-install the OS multiple times without any risk to your data/photos.

Having the data/photos separate would make also taking back-up easier.

There is no harm in having more then one primary partition. You could make 4 primary or 3 primary with one extended partition.

For my Two 1 tb hdd's that i have used in the last 2-3 yrs,...i allocated 30gb for win7 32 ultimate O.S partition(contains only system files) & 10 gb to Win Xp professional O.S partition(contains only system files) & the rest to 1 big partition that holds my datas & downloads(user data).This arrangement has worked good till date & i have similarly partitioned my new purchased 2 tb hdd as well!
There is No ideal number of partitions...it all depend on your needs !...however try to minimise unnecessary partitions as it leads to wastage of HDD space in creating extra partitions!

Primary partiton only good for OS or we can use for storing data too ?
Suppose 1TB HDD.
60GB Primary for Win7 OS.
900GB (Primary or Extended/Logical ?) for data.
And rest for ubuntu.

yes you can store data in the same partition which holds any OS.Also,due to a certain reason(i don't want to waste your time by explaining the reason),windows will only see 930.5 GB of your 1TB HDD(this happens with all HDD's,regardless of their size,if you haven't noticed it already),so with your 900-60 GB scheme you are already overshooting on the HDD space.plan according to the size i mentioned.

I already told you OP,windows(and any other OS) will only recognize 930.5 GB of your 1 TB HDD,so why don't you plan accordingly?Don't overshoot on the HDD space as you have been doing since you started this thread.

for a 100 gb partition you will have to make a 102.432gb one so that u will get a exact 100gb one

and for every additional 50 gb add another 1.22 gb it works wonderfully....
try it and tell me it works....

Back