[IEM Review] MEElectronics M31: Feel the Bass!

Introduction:

First off, thanks to MEElectronics for choosing me to review M31.

I have not reviewed any manufacturer samples so far. Last month, when I found out that MEElectronics had a Review sample giveaway, it was too good to pass. After all, why pass on an opportunity to get a free IEM, eh? I specifically wanted something that would be a bit different from other IEMs I own, so opted for M31.

Photos:

From Left to Right: The Package, Opened packing, Contents, IEM Housing Top View, IEM housing Rear View, Cable

Specification
:

Driver size: 9 mm

Impedance: 16 Ohm

Sensitivity: 96 dB

Frequency Response: 20Hz - 22Khz

Maximum Power Input: 30mW

Cable Length: 51"

Build Quality, Accessories

The packing is simplistic and similar to the one used for M6. The accessories include a clamshell zipper carry case, 3 pairs of single flange tips and a pair of bi-flange tip.

As expected with MEElectronics, the build quality does not disappoint. The housing is made of two toned aluminum. While the rear of the housing has a silver tone, the front half of the housing is available in five colors - Black, Blue, Gold, Purple and Red. It so happens that my review sample is the color I'd have chosen myself. The Left and Right markings are conveniently marked at the top of the housing, which makes it less of a hassle and saves precious seconds in the dark.

The housings are longer than most of my IEMs though. At about 28-29mm from the rear to the edge of the tip with the single flange medium tips, they are longer than Ortofon e-Q5 and Xears Bullet XB120, but still shorter and thinner than the TF10. The housing is vented at the back as you can see in Photo #5 (No! that's not my usual bad photography trick). At times, I felt a mild amount of driver flex, which is surprising coming from MEE.

The cable has a transparent sheath with a shirt clip attached to it. It also comes with a chin slider which is a relief since it takes away most of the microphonics. The strain reliefs at the housing are decent, but not something too hefty. The Y-Split is solid enough. The cable is terminated in a L-plug, which I slightly prefer over other types (though I don't have any issues with other plug types). The cable has memory and tangles most times.

Comfort, Fit, Isolation, Microphonics:

There are only a couple of housing types I have issues with - the ones which have sharp edges and ones that sit flush in the outer ear. With the normal (though longer) housing of M31, I did not have any fit or comfort issues even during longer sessions. Much like TF10, it might stick out of the ear for a few.

I found no issues wearing them straight-down or over the ears. On most occasions, I found it much easier to wear it straight-down. Microphonics are minimal due to the presence of shirt clip and chin slider. When worn over the ear, it almost vanishes.

Isolation is average at best due to the presence of the vent. It also seems to like wind (or even straight under the fan) a lot, though it wasn't too bothersome.

Sound Signature

Though I am not a big proponent of burn-in, I gave them 100 hours of burn-in using normal DAPs at slightly higher than usual volumes (normal for the first half, higher in the second half). I am not a careful observer of the changes, but I found no drastic changes from my out of the box listening.

This review is written based on my impressions straight out of Rock-boxed Clip+ at various volume levels (-22 to -29). I also tried M31 with Nanite N2, Cowon S9 and briefly, Clip+ -> Arrow (Gain: 1, Bass: 0). I used only the stock Medium single flange for the entire impressions.

Let me state upfront that M31 personally is a bit far off my comfort zone and expectations from an IEM. That said, I still would approach this as with any other IEM I've reviewed before - stating my personal, biased, subjective opinion of Sound and nothing more, nothing less.

If you are somebody who thinks that RE0 has bass, please pack your bags and run to whatever other page you are viewing. When compared to M31, Brainwavz M2 feels like a small kid trying to punch a trained boxer (above the waist, I must add). Even when compared to the previous flagship, M6, M31 has more quantity and packs a punch.

I don't think of the term "bass-head" in a derogatory way. That said, the taste in bass is not similar among people. Some like fast, tight, controlled bass with lots of details, but can compromise on quantity; while others want gobbles of quantity; some like sub-bass, some don't. I for one prefer an IEM that does sub-bass well, though it's a rare entity.

Bass in M31 is slightly thick than thin, has good extension and carries both good quantity and punch though it tends to be a bit boomy. When it comes to the sub-bass region, like trying to pack 2 Kgs of beans in a 1Kg bag, it spills out of control and creates more of a sensation. I personally am not averse to this kind of bass as a few tracks derive the mileage out of it (opening of Massive Attack's "Angel", Opeth's "Hessian peel") though it tends to have unintended consequences with other tracks. This is precisely what I was expecting and M31 did not disappoint a bit.

If I listen at lower volumes, the mid-bass quantity reduces and hence not a deterrent. However, the sensationalist sub-bass still continues to impede into tracks.

Bass bleeds a bit into Mids. The midrange of M31 is warm and sweet and positioned slightly forward, nowhere near as recessed as M6. M31 serves the purpose well as long as I am using it for casual background listening. But, once I pay attention, the presence of slight veil and lack of clarity in the midrange shows through. The notes are smeared a bit, lacking the finesse and sharpness to present the right amount of detail.

Treble carries good amount of sparkle and extension though it does not approach the level of M6.

The Sound Stage is narrow and constrained, which does not help matters greatly. The imaging is decent, but lacks the airiness. The combined impact of narrow stage, lack of air, ever present bass makes it difficult to pick out individual instruments easily in a complex passage.

I've purposefully avoided comparisons with other IEMs though I did compare M31 against several of my $10 - 60 IEMs. Except for the bass, M31 does not stand a great chance against close scrutiny. Secondly, with casual listening sessions over time, when I have effectively dropped my guard and stopped doing analysis, I did not find M31 to be bad at all. Since we are not limited in options, I assume that only a particular group of people would be very interested in M31 and those people would be buying it for the bass. Hence, I found no point in adding a para or two about how most of the IEMs sounded clearer in midrange compared to M31.

Equalization:

I have a soft corner for IEMs that have excesses. I find it easier to fix excesses via EQ rather than create something that does not exist. For me, the following settings in Rockboxed Clip+ works nicely. Be warned that this is tuned for my taste and YMMV.

LS |-5.0|100|0.7

PK1 |+2.5|1000|1.0

PK2 |-2.5|5500|1.0

PK3 |+2.0|8000|1.0

HS |+0.0|12000|0.7

Value for Money
:

My VFM section always is based on SQ and uses RE0 as the base reference at $80. From a personal standpoint, I won't be spending $45 for the signature that M31 presents, more like $20-25.

But then, IMO, I am not among the target group of M31. Let's consider it this way - there's an IEM for the mid-focused with bass (Brainwavz M2), warm with balance (Xears TDIII) seekers in the $40-60 range. M31 caters to the usually forgotten bass-head group and those who seek to upgrade from stock earbuds. Even if you belong to this group, I'd say wait and pick-up with one of the discount sales that MEElectronics offers. That way, if you pick up below the MSRP, it might be worth considering due to the edge MEE enjoys in build quality.

Is it for ME?

I am a bloody bass-head who like to feel as if a sub-woofer is placed in my ears / What the hell is midrange anyway? / I like an IEM with god-forbidden amounts of bass, but still has a decent presence across midrange and treble / I have a budget under $50 and I have been proudly using my Sansa earbuds or EP-630 or CX300 for the past three years and the damn thing just broke on me
- Buy it!

I am an audiophile who values clarity, details, precise placement and already have some of the best sub-$150 IEMs - Unless you are looking for something which offers bass-head bass and only good enough for casual listening, I don't see the point.

I am a little allergic to too much bass quantity and... - Hold it right there. Thanks for reading this far, but feel free to look elsewhere.

I love vocals with not so hurting treble and bass ... - You are likely Brendon and you are stuck with RE1 for life :p

I want to collect a sample for each type of signature - That would be me and I already have M31 :ashamed:

Ranking in my list:

M31 due to it's bass, a bit of balance on EQ and decent casual listening utility, pulls ahead of a few other IEMs and ranks 35 out of 43 in my list. It is at the top of my 'decent sounding IEMs' group (IEMs with audible flaws, but good for casual listening) since I can't bring myself to bunch it with the good and better sounding IEMs.

Conclusion
:

Personally, it is not for me or those who seek / are used to the clarity offered by other IEMs. It targets bass-heads and it does very well in that department. In short, it offers a good alternative for casual listening with tons of bass, lots of rumble without totally lacking the other parts of the spectrum. It is unashamedly colored and holds nothing back when it comes to delivering bass with a woofer like feel. If you are among those who like rumbling bass, M31 is a great choice to think about!

Nice review as usual.What kind of music are you listening these days?Will be attending Copenhell 2011,Copenhagen this June..will watch Opeth live for the first time.

^ I envy you. Missed out when Opeth came to Chennai due to some commitments. Now ruing it!

With music, I am trying various bands / genres - from Techno / Trance to Death / Doom / Prog / Post Metal (Bloodbath, Agalloch, Isis, Novembre, In Mourning, Gojira) to Jazz (Miles Davis, John Coltrane) to Classical. Try "Shrouded Divine" from In Mourning and see if you like it. Give it sometime though!

^ Fact, not dig ;)... and wait till Brendon shows up.

PS: I've planned 4 reviews over the next 2 weeks and this is just the first of them. Hope I don't get punished by being tied up, forced to listen to a bose headphone and bombarded with spare IEM tips :ashamed:

who ships these??

i was considering brainwavz m2 for bass, even opened a thread about it.. i already have re2 and perfectly happy with it.. was looking for a second pair with emphasis on bass.

Nice review Santhosh . BTW , we might have them officially in India soon.Mediahome or not , I am not sure . Ive been wanting to try the new MEE 2011 lineup for quiet sometime !

^ Yep! Sooner the better. I've been itching to try the A151 or CC51, though I don't think I have space to store them.

Speaking of trying, is there any chance you can force / coerce / blackmail / threaten and get one of the latest head-direct IEMs especially RE272?

^ Is it released already ? I haven't been up to date with the IEM/head-fi world. Had I not been so lazy and done the RE252,262 reviews I probably would have a good chance to get it .I will still try :).

^ It has not been officially released. Considering that it took them months to get RE262 on sale, I am not holding my breath. I think clieOS / Joker should be getting one when it's ready for release. Timing is not important as long as we get at least one sample in India :)

Back