Windows If you are using windows 10 then check your SSD life

truegenius

Disciple
Hello there,
I am sharing a weird thing that i noticed in windows 10, i bought 1TB intel 660p ssd around 15 months ago, i have been using it as OS drive for windows 10, i was also using windows 7 on another 240GB sata ssd.

I used windows 10 just for PUBG ( because nvedia's variable refresh rate ) and watching youtube as for everything else i was using windows 7. After using windows 10 for around a year it started giving me issues around may this year, so i switched back to windows 7, then in windows 7 hwinfo64 i noticed that my intel drive was written by over 10TB data which is impossible as it was used just for youtube and pubg and i always disable hybersleep and page file as soon as i install any os on ssd.
On contrary the ssd which had windows 7 on it only had less than 3TB data write in around 3years. Now i am using windows 7 for around 2 months on intel ssd and i barely noticed any data written on ssd so far.

Conclusion, if you are using windows 10 on your ssd then check its life and data written on it.
I am attaching pics highlighting total data written on these drive so far.

Attachments

• intel.PNG
    intel.PNG
    8.9 KB · Views: 243
  • liteon.PNG
    liteon.PNG
    7.2 KB · Views: 230
I observed a similar situation with my micron crucial ssd 500gb. It's life was reduced by 1% even through it has only 40-50 GB occupied for c drive. I don't know if this is normal or not but thanks for the heads up. I started using the drive around March 2019.

I barely use my c drive for YouTube and movies. No games. So it was a bit surprising that loading of OS can already have such an impact, though not that significant.

How did you manage to see those abovementioned data?
Thanks.

For my Windows install, paging was active. I deactivated it.

I often use Hibernate option instead of shutdown.
Is it going to affect my PC's SSD too much?

Well here's mine.. .Win10 Ent 64bit

Intel SSD 400gb: 16 months old

Snapshot from Intel toolbox
1594894722813.png

From HD Sentinel
1594894773132.png

Both the tools show identical figures.

Usage: Everything (primary OS + gaming, music, videos, data dump, yt, etc)

System runs daily for 12 odd hours.

Conclusion: I don't find anything wrong with my ssd or Win10.

I observed a similar situation with my micron crucial ssd 500gb. It's life was reduced by 1% even through it has only 40-50 GB occupied for c drive. I don't know if this is normal or not but thanks for the heads up. I started using the drive around March 2019.

I barely use my c drive for YouTube and movies. No games. So it was a bit surprising that loading of OS can already have such an impact, though not that significant.

Thanks.

I used hwinfo64 software's sensor tab to monitor it, it gives lots of useful info

For my Windows install, paging was active. I deactivated it.

I often use Hibernate option instead of shutdown.
Is it going to affect my PC's SSD too much?
hibernate won't affect too much unless you have tons of ram and ram remains almost full before you hibernate ( in that case it would have took minutes to hibernate anyway ). Pagefile affects a lot specially if have less ram in system.
Well here's mine.. .Win10 Ent 64bit

Intel SSD 400gb: 16 months old

Both the tools show identical figures.

Usage: Everything (primary OS + gaming, music, videos, data dump, yt, etc)

System runs daily for 12 odd hours.

Conclusion: I don't find anything wrong with my ssd or Win10.
for your usage, write amount looks good in your case in 16 months

How to check is for crucial ssd ? I to have one which is only 160gb free out of 960gb :p

Thanks.

Barely a month old, and this is the current scenario in my case.

1595086463446.png

What is the solution for this? Why does this happen?

Mine shows (Crucial P1)

Data Units Written 0x038B0DF 1000-512byte Sectors

which when converted from hex to decimal is

So I assuming - 3715295 * ( 0.5 megabyte sectors) = 1857647.5 megabytes - approx 1.7TB

HWInfo gives an almost similar figure as well.

since you filled it 800GB so that and temp data written during usage and installation of various software, so yours looks fine.

Though i would say don't fill your ssd this much i would advice keeping atleast 25% free space

Mine has a 256gb ssd, and I've only used 48gb of that. That too is almost entirely the windows installation. I have not managed to transfer my files to this new device.

i mixed your post and prince007's post
in that case that's too much.
disable hibernation/hibersleep, and pagefile if not already, if still it writes too much then you may need to check why it's happening, i no longer use windows 10 ( after slideshow performance on desktop after may update ) so i can't help to find out what in windows 10 writing so much data to drive.
maybe try to shift temp folder location to non ssd drive or see performance monitor ( from controll pannel ) to see what is writing data

Page file was not disabled, so I have done that. Let me check after a month and see how it progresses. Hibernation was disabled as soon as I first started using the system.
maybe try to shift temp folder location to non ssd drive or see performance monitor ( from controll pannel ) to see what is writing data
Not an option since this is a Surface device. :(

That figure for mine is around 1TB. About 10 months used 256GB drive. I have downloaded occasionally - Disabled page file in this weekend and came here to read about same !

That figure for mine is around 1TB. About 10 months used 256GB drive. I have downloaded occasionally - Disabled page file in this weekend and came here to read about same !

is it important to have page file with a laptop with 8 gb memory or can be turned off completely ?
Sometime when I am gaming, memory usage goes upto 7 gb

Opinion seems to be divided on paging. I was going through another forum and they said to leave paging to default or switch it to system drive but not turned off. Unless you have 32gigs ram, such users won't have issues if paging was turned off.
They seemed to be well versed when it came to memory management. Stuff started to get way more complicated for me, left me all the more confused.
The thing is that there is no paper or research to backup that paging degrades the performance of ssd.

P.S- I still have mine turned off after reading this thread. If my devices start behaving abnormally, will reverse back.

is it important to have page file with a laptop with 8 gb memory or can be turned off completely ?
Sometime when I am gaming, memory usage goes upto 7 gb

With 8GB RAM, may be you should have it ON. As quite many instances, memory would go near fully consumed.

I have 32GB ram, i guess i will later check how much pagefile (writes) games will use at different memory capacity though on windows 7 using process monitor software.

On 18gb Ram and was happy running with disabled pagefile memory until one day few apps started giving memory issues. Event viewer pointed out to pagefile.
I did researched during good ol Win xp/7 days & it clearly said that once you got sufficient ram (8gb+), pagefile can be disabled safely and back then it actually worked.
Seems Win10 is a real hogger which requires pagefile set to bare min even if you have good amounts of excessive ram. Strange but not done!

according to this, it looks like there was (stil is ?) some bug in windows 10 which was causing excessive defragmentation of drive.
So it wasn't my/our imagination that ssd was being written too much.
Maybe the frequency of defrag was dependent on amount of idle time of system.

Also i kept hibersleep on (with frequent hibersleeps per day) and page file 32GB in windows 7 and still i wasn't writing data at same rate as windows 10 was using with all these disabled, so looks like it was(is?) a bug in windows 10.

Also, looks like actuall ram that is being used is actually "commit memory" that you see in task manager as when i was running 20 instances of bluestacks which was crashing when commit memory was reaching near 32GB despite "ram usage" showing 20-25GB.
Enabling Page file helped here a bit but only as long as "ram usage" was lower than 32GB, so it like 25-50% of installed ram should be the amount of page file (if you need) as more than that doesn't help.

Back