Impact of VPN on Banking Transactions

Hi,

If I were to configure a VPN on my router (PureVPN) and set US as my server what would be the impact of it on my banking transactions. Would banking software assume that I am accessing the app on my mobile from US and put me through more verifications (OTPs etc)?

Second question:
If I were to install the VPN app on my phone and then configure the server to India would the banking app work? How would the traffic flow from my phone to the banking servers and back when I am connected to my router that also has VPN configured (to US).

Thanks,
Srikanth

To many loops

1. Yes, if configure and the sites find your request coming from US, they do tend to ask more vertifications, did not face any problems when accessing hdfc netbanking though from a US network

2. In this case your request will go through the india vpn but that will go through the us vpn router, but the india vpn should help in making it work just like your india network, bcos the india vpn is getting connected irrespective of it is going through US vpn or any other, i have pia subscription and an router that uses openvpn to connect through it

Yes, there is a little speed decrease as it has to route through additional hops, not sure about PureVPN, I use PIA, got it as there was some offer going on

That would depend on your bank and its policies. I dont know of any bank that restricts IP ranges.

Coming to question 2, yes it will work via the VPN. The app data flow will be to the VPN server, then the internet and finally the bank sites.

Coming to my opinion, if you are using any kind of open wifi/public wifi then only opt for VPNs, else you are adding additional MITM.

Back