Important DND query--Which category to go for??

nRiTeCh

Skilled
Finally I thought of opting for DND as lately I have been receiving lot of useless property deals etc. sms (12-15/day) along with life cover, investments, guaranteed income kind of shits which adds 6-8/day. So in all 20+ spam/day. And yeas 2-3 calls as well.

But while opting for DND there is option for 'Fully Blocked' or 'Partially Blocked' category.

Now what I need is to receive all sms/calls from my banks (otp/atm withdrawals/transactions neft etc./alerts), paytm, freecharge, courier services, purchases from flipkart/sd/amazon etc etc.
So keeping this in mind suggest if to go for 'Fully Blocked' or 'Partially Blocked' category.

There are two types of SMS - Promotional and Transactional.
Bank messages like OTP, balance, transaction alert, etc., SMSes from sites/merchants after availing a service, like order status, order despatch, etc.. all belong to the second category, and are exempt from DND filtration. So, even if you opt for complete block in DND, you will still receive these.

Simple way to identify which category a message belongs to, is by looking at the sender id. Promo SMSes have fully numeric IDs like 56677. Transactional SMSes have 6 digit fully alphabetic IDs like ICICIB, KVBANK, etc.

Opt for fully blocked and have peace of mind. Do remember, it takes 45 days for the DND to come into effect.

Go for full blocked category, I'm using it since 5 yrs now. I receive only Only bank SMS alerts.
if anything else is opted, the unnecessary messages keep on coming.

Go for full blocked category. You will still receive calls as dnd is a mess. But do make complaint whenever you receive such calls.
Use android app dnd complaint to make 1 click complaint.

Already subscribed to DND since Jul 2008 all block category.

Earlier spam sender's mobile number appeared in "from" and i was able to send a warning reply mentioning legal provisions against unwanted commercial messages and nearly all stopped. Since header SMS facility started there is no way to reply or warn the sender.

TRAI prescribed format allows for blocking of header SMS http://www.nccptrai.gov.in/nccpregistry/homepage.misc

tried to block headers as instructed by TRAI

For complaint through SMS, customer has to send SMS "the unsolicited commercial communication, XXXXXXXXXX, dd/mm/yy" to 1909. Where XXXXXXXXXX - is the telephone number or header of the SMS

However my service provider Reliance is not honoring or has not implemented this facility. After a complaint to appellate authority the only message received was Reliance has taken my complaint as feedback and trying to improve its services.

I think service providers sms revenue has fallen due to increase in whatsapp and likes usage and service providers are encouraging bulk SMS.

final solution to my woes was blocking unwanted SMS header in messaging app.

Many of these telemarketers have started to use +91 numbers. Can't block them. You get similar ad messages which you usually do from the promotional numbers.
Obvious guess to how they managed to get our numbers is the telecom operators selling our numbers. Vodafone and Airtel are the biggest culprits here. The only time DND worked for me was when i used to use an Aircel number.

Thats not what i mean. I know that +91 is the country code. What i meant to say was telemarketers have resorted to using personal +91 followed by the 10 digit numbers like +9196125XXXXX.
I don't think that you can block these numbers the standard way on DND.

DND service got activated on my number and now I aint getting any sms from icici bank. I opted for Fully blocked option.

This aint suppose to happen right??

This aint suppose to happen right??
right.

wait for sometime until you are sure that all bank related SMSs are barred. you can then categorically disable DND for financial services.

also, when you enable DND for all the categories, some websites automatically disable the essential SMS services (e.g. ATM withdrawal). you need to re-enable/re-register your number with them. i do it for BSNL every 3 months.

right.

wait for sometime until you are sure that all bank related SMSs are barred. you can then categorically disable DND for financial services.

also, when you enable DND for all the categories, some websites automatically disable the essential SMS services (e.g. ATM withdrawal). you need to re-enable/re-register your number with them. i do it for BSNL every 3 months.
Enabled DND approx 10 days back.
And how to "categorically disable DND for financial services." I didnt found such option on tata domo site.

And how to "categorically disable DND for financial services." I didnt found such option on tata domo site.

here are the complete set of options for DND... procedure/options are same across all mobile service providers:

Fully Blocked
All commercial communications will be blocked.

Partially Blocked
Partial blocked option will block all commercial voice calls. However, you can choose to receive messages from your interested categories (called Preferences). Below are the seven preferences you can choose to receive commercial SMS:
  1. Banking/Insurance/Financial products/credit cards
  2. Real Estate
  3. Education
  4. Health
  5. Consumer goods and automobiles
  6. Communication / Broadcasting / Entertainment / IT
  7. Tourism and Leisure
To subscribe for partial block, follow the below:
Single Preference
  • SMS: START X to 1909.
  • Call: 1909 and follow the IVR guidance
Multiple Preference
  • SMS: START X, X to 1909.
  • Call: 1909 and follow the IVR guidance
Note: Replace X with preference number

Source: http://www.telecomdiary.com/in/dnd/docomo-do-not-disturb/

Nice neat list.

If I select to opt out of "Banking/Insurance/Financial products/credit cards" then will it affect my current credit card/debit card and banking sms?

What I simply need is to get updates from:
my banks--transaction/otp/request raised/deductions etc
from job sites naukri.com
from flipkart/amazon/sd etc. online shopping site where I have actually registered and
also from DTDC or other couriers.

So suggest accordingly.

I do not know from where this confusion has been built up.
All the alerts related to banks, otp, flipkart, Amazon, ticket booking, etc doesn't stop even if you subscribe to fully block category.

Naukri.com will be blocked as it falls under marketing and not alerts category.

Now all this is a real confusion and messy.
As per DND and as per what I know, even if we are subcribed to naukri.com or any shit marketing we will recive the sms as we are registered on those nos.
But that day when I raised a query with icici for account issue I received no sms from them even though they said the sms has been triggered. I confirmed by visiting the bank and they too are firm.

Back