Camera In need of a second Canon DSLR body

blueren

Adept
Hi All,

I currently own a Canon EOS 550D and am on the lookout for buying a new body. As my lens collection grows, I find it hard and annoying to keep swapping out lenses. I was reading up reviews on the Canon 70D. Any thoughts on this?

Current Lens:
Canon 50mm
Tamron 18-270mm
Sigma 8-16mm

I'm just a hobbyist photographer, and usually shoot outdoors and inanimate objects. :)

Thanks.

Depends how you use your camera and what exactly you are looking for in a new body. The 70D is an excellent camera for the price, its got fast AF module and one of the best live view AF for video as well among DSLRs. But if you are going to buy a 2nd body just so that you have to change the lenses often, you may be better off with a cheaper body (e.g. 700D - faster AF than 550D) and invest the remaining budget on more lenses. Again, depends what you are shooting and at what condition.

Depends how you use your camera and what exactly you are looking for in a new body. The 70D is an excellent camera for the price, its got fast AF module and one of the best live view AF for video as well among DSLRs. But if you are going to buy a 2nd body just so that you have to change the lenses often, you may be better off with a cheaper body (e.g. 700D - faster AF than 550D) and invest the remaining budget on more lenses. Again, depends what you are shooting and at what condition.

Thanks.

1. I was looking for an upgrade to the current 550D.
  2. Something that helps with taking images that are more forgiving to post processing (I shoot raw anyway).
  3. I always shoot in Manual mode, so the other fancy modes are useless to me.
  4. Like I said, mostly outdoor. Attached is my latest WIP.

Questions:

Will a better camera body mean better pictures? Will there be any noticeable differences if I shoot with the same settings and lens, then compare the outputs of both cameras? If there is, then my next dilemma is going to be which lens to put on which camera :p

Attachments

• WIP.jpg
    WIP.jpg
    260.2 KB · Views: 187
Oh, I didn't realize you meant Landscapes. In that case, I'd have suggested a Nikon (Sensors with better DR,ISO) but since you already have invested on lenses - I'd recommend the 70D. Its got a newer sensor with previous gen 7d's AF module. See if you can get a good deal w/o the kit 18-55 lens or sell it off after buying. If I may, I'd also suggest getting rid of the Tamron super zoom and get either the Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 or 70d with 18-135 IS STM kit.
You should see improved results from the 70D , especially if you shoot RAW. I'd say keep the UWA zoom for landscapes on the 70D, in other times, put the newer kit 18-135 or Sigma 17-70 if you decide to get one of those. And glue the 50mm on the 550D ;)

Last edited:
Oh, I didn't realize you meant Landscapes. In that case, I'd have suggested a Nikon (Sensors with better DR,ISO) but since you already have invested on lenses - I'd recommend the 70D. Its got a newer sensor with previous gen 7d's AF module. See if you can get a good deal w/o the kit 18-55 lens or sell it off after buying. If I may, I'd also suggest getting rid of the Tamron super zoom and get either the Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 or 70d with 18-135 IS STM kit.
You should see improved results from the 70D , especially if you shoot RAW. I'd say keep the UWA zoom for landscapes on the 70D, in other times, put the newer kit 18-135 or Sigma 17-70 if you decide to get one of those. And glue the 50mm on the 550D ;)

Thanks! Let me snoop around online and offline to get some price comparisons

Your budget defines, what camera you can possibly get.

If you want upgrade, that pretty much rules out anything less than 70D. One grand for a secondary/back up camera for an hobbyist is little too much, I think. No offense. Choice and money is yours, just a food for thought.

You may check out used bodies like 50D or 60D. But again, most of the reviews would suggest you that already Canon sensors are lagging big time, going for an old technology wouldn't advisable.

Since it's just to avoid lens swapping issue, go for 1100D or 1200D. That should be suffice, I believe.

Looks like you have already decided on what to get, and you just need enabling. :p

Using multiple bodies is helpful if you are into action, wildlife, or wedding photography, where you can't afford to miss a moment.
As you are interested in landscapes and mostly inanimate objects, you won't need two bodies. Instead, take a slow approach, take you time, think, compose, and make a photograph. Landscapes also means travelling, and while travelling you would want to keep the weight as low as possible.

Me too ^^^
Dont see any reason for a second body.
But if you have made your mind already and if you are open for resale then I would suggest to go for a Full Frame body like the 5D MK III. It will be a worthy 'upgrade' since you use the 8mm lens and if you are doing landscape then the full frame makes a hell lot of diff. Even for portraits.[DOUBLEPOST=1441713920][/DOUBLEPOST]Maybe what you need is a better bag. I myself own only 4 lenses and if I carry my Lowepro pro runner AW 200 then changing lens on the field is not very fast. But if I carry my crumpler 5000 messenger bag then its a breeze to change lenses on the fly. So try that for a change.
The point is if you are not making money out of it and its just a hobby then its not worth spending on a second body and lugging it around. 2nd body means space in bag. Additional 1kg weight. Think of that too.

Me too ^^^
Dont see any reason for a second body.
But if you have made your mind already and if you are open for resale then I would suggest to go for a Full Frame body like the 5D MK III. It will be a worthy 'upgrade' since you use the 8mm lens and if you are doing landscape then the full frame makes a hell lot of diff. Even for portraits.[DOUBLEPOST=1441713920][/DOUBLEPOST]Maybe what you need is a better bag. I myself own only 4 lenses and if I carry my Lowepro pro runner AW 200 then changing lens on the field is not very fast. But if I carry my crumpler 5000 messenger bag then its a breeze to change lenses on the fly. So try that for a change.
The point is if you are not making money out of it and its just a hobby then its not worth spending on a second body and lugging it around. 2nd body means space in bag. Additional 1kg weight. Think of that too.

I'll have to agree that the bag plays an important role as well. Any suggestions? crumpler 5000 messenger bag

Back