Incoming connection problems on ACT Broadband Bangalore

rock_ya_baby

~~~=o=~~~
Adept
Targeted mostly towards the ACT and such BB providers -

So, my DD-WRT router gets an IP of 10.254.1xx.xxx/32 through PPoE. Next-hop goes to 10.254.12X.1 (some aggregation router/radius/BNG-LNS/BRAS).

When I do cmyip.com or such services, it gives my public IP as 106.51.x.x (Name Address: 51.2XX-broadband.acttv.in). I can't seem to understand how the incoming/port-forwarding would work here? Unless, all of the 10.x users are getting static natted on their border router.

If someone who has setup "port-forwarding" on ACT, please enlighten me. I haven't been able to SSH into my home server from a 4G dongle/public internet.

Hi , i'm facing a similar issue with Airwir internet. Eventually how did you solve the issue? Can you please help? I have a static IP assigned to me -a 10.xx.xx.xx address. My public IP as seen by cmyip.com or equivalent tool is 122.xx.xx.xx. I am not able to reach my server from outside/internet outside my home.

_androcton

I asked ACT to give me public IP, initially they refused citing technically not possible... After some pestering they agreed. I don't know what they did, I got dynamic public IP but the latency increased and there was noticeable packet loss.
Since then I've asked them to revert the changes :S

I'm using reverse ssh now to get into my home network.

@rock_ya_baby : Yes, reverse ssh is the last option. But I would like to have the access to my home server machine without that limitation.

@Chaos : Static IPs are usually expensive right. When I mean a home server, it is purely for my media/tunneling ans personal use. Not a business use case. So this idea is not a viable option.

Please advice.

Thanks for the reply!

_androcton

@rock_ya_baby : I checked with my provider and persisted him to provide me a public IP, evne though it is not a static one. But they refused. Can you please share details of reverse ssh since that is the only option left.
My concern...
If your remote end is some terminal for which you will/might not have a know public IP, is there any workaround for that? Let's say, I'm roaming on my mobile and want to access my home server, my mobile IP is always changing and might not be a public one or from office behind a NAT box where I dont have a public IP.

Thanks in advance.
_androcton

Back